Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To read specific line from a file Post 302778259 by PikK45 on Sunday 10th of March 2013 08:22:58 AM
Old 03-10-2013
grep "uid=" filename | awk '{print $2}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script that read specific fileds from the 7th line in a file

Dear All, I need a unix script that will read the 7th line and especially these fileds from a file Mo speed 16, Mt speed 15 every 15 minutes starting from 00:00 to 23:45 on daily basis and put the result in a txt file and name it MT_MO_20090225.txt, please also note that the system date format... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samura
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read the value from a specific line and column BASH

Hi All, I have the same problem as the one posted in https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/96097-how-read-value-specific-line-column-csh-variable.html but I'm using bash. Can anyone tell me how I have to modify the code to make it bash compatible? eval `awk 'NR==3{print "set... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: read file line by line (lines have '\0') - not full line has read???

I am using the while-loop to read a file. The file has lines with null-terminated strings (words, actually.) What I have by that reading - just a first word up to '\0'! I need to have whole string up to 'new line' - (LF, 10#10, 16#A) What I am doing wrong? #make file 'grb' with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to read a specific line and a specific field on that line.

Say the input was as follows: Brat 20 x 1000 32rf Pour 15 p 1621 05pr Dart 10 z 1111 22xx My program prompts for an input, what I want is to use the input to locate a specific field. Like if I type in, "Pou" then it would return "Pour" and just "Pour" I currently have this line but it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bungkai
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read from specific line number in shell script?

I have a text file which is having 30000 lines in it. I have to create a xml file for each 10000 lines until all the lines in the text files are written. Also please help how can i get number of lines in the text file in a shell variable? (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
19 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how read specific line in a file and write it in a new text file?

I have list of files in a directory 'dir'. Each file is of type HTML. I need to read each file and get the string which starts with 'http' and write them in a new text file. How can i do this shell scripting? file1.html <head> <url>http://www.google.com</url> </head> file2.html <head>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file from nth line to specific character

Hi, I want to read the file from nth line (where n is an integer) to until I encounter @ char. Can any one please help me how to do this? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laalesh
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read particular line in file from specific column?

Hi...friends.... I want to create inventory...information for that I need to read some specific row say 2nd row from 1st 3 column and and write data with particular file used, I have some more column also but I need only 3 column data of first entry after header I attached sample file..those... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: nex_asp
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read command stop on either EOF or a specific line

I'm trying to stop reading a file until the end of the file is reached or a defined delimiter line is reached. Some how I need to test the fail state of the last 2 commands, not just the last command. echo -e "hello\ngoodbye\n####\ntesting" | while read line; ]; do echo "$line"; done hello... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)