Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Undestanding LANG setting in /etc/environment Post 302778249 by bakunin on Sunday 10th of March 2013 07:56:12 AM
Old 03-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
Setting LANG=C will do what Aaron Boyce wants only if neither LC_ALL nor LC_NUMERIC is set in the environment. LC_NUMERIC will override LANG for purposes of determining the radix character used and the formatting of numeric output. LC_ALL will override both LANG and LC_NUMERIC.

If LC_NUMERIC is effectively set to a value that sets non-null thousands separators or that uses comma as the radix character, you need to take extra precautions when working with CSV files that contain numeric strings that represent non-integral values, or integral values greater than 999 or less than -999.
You are right, Don, as always. In his entry posting Aaron stated that his SysAdmin has traced back the problem to the changed LANG-entry in /etc/environment, so i took it that none of the applicable LC_-variables are defined in his case, because these would have overridden the old as well as the new setting.

Still, its a good idea to explain the interdependence of LANG and LC_ALL the other LC_-variables.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting up Environment Variables

Hi all, I am trying to set up some variables in a shell script. The variables contain values of various paths needed to run a java module. The problem is the variables dont seem to be setting at all. here is what i am trying to do : JAR_HOME=/home/was5/bdcms/scheduledjobs/lib export... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpandey
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting the $LANG info needed

Hello (Very New to UNIX -Solaris 10) I'm trying to set the LANG variable to C but not sure if it's getting set, need some help on this. Currently I have it set to en_GB.UTF-8 I need to set it to C for an install. but when I run set LANG=C and then run echo $LANG its still set to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deedaz
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sudo environment setting?

Hi, first post. As the nick suggests I'm a Unix noob, but I'm doing everything I can to learn fast...job requirement. These forums have been a huge help so far. I have a server running HP-UX 11.23b with Apache/2.0.59 HP-UX_Apache-based_Web_Server. Apache is not installed in the default... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixnoob
3 Replies

4. Programming

Setting Environment variable..!

Hi, I already have one CPP program which invokes the C program.And the C program contains whole function definitions..!This is a working program..I have to enable the logs in both CPP as well as in the C program ..!So I am reading the enviornmental variable log path from the CPP and doing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kattoor
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up your environment

Hi I am new to Solaris and was just given my id and need to setup my environment, what do i need to do to run certain commands without putting in the complete path. How do I create my .profile, I do not see under my login? Any help would be greatly appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sa_ken
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with setting up environment variables

hi all, I would appreciate if some one could explain me the difference between setting up the variables as shown below HOME=${HOME:-"/home/user1"} HOME=/home/user1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SSSB
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting Environment Variables

#!/bin/bash if ; then ASS1_DATA_DIR=./ echo $ASS1_DATA_DIR export ASS1_DATA_DIR echo "data dir" fi if ; then ASS1_OUTPUT_DIR=./ export ASS1_OUTPUT_DIR fi I want to create a new environment variable ASS1_DATA_DIR and ASS1_OUTPUT_DIR in bash and set them to the current... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigubosu
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up environment variables

Hi all, This is my first post here. I need to set up a few environment variables with a shell script. Some are hard-coded, but some should come from other commands or as input from the user. How do I do that? For example, I need to export a variable as such: export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:8.0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: exchequer598
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Setting up LAMP environment

I wish to setup LAMP environment. Amongst, I have successfully installed Linux 6.1. I am looking fwd to install - Apace Web Server, My Sql Database & PHP environment. Say if I look for MySql, could see downloadable available in rpm format. But this must be copied over to Linux machine. As... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
2 Replies

10. Solaris

/etc/default/init LANG Setting Not Working

Hey guys, I'm setting up a new server(Fujitsu M10-4 / Solaris 10 1/13) to move our app/DB and I'm having trouble figuring out why my LANG setting is not taking effect. I'm trying to set LANG=C in the /etc/default/init file which should make it the default system wide from what I gather. However... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaledragule
7 Replies
LOCALE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 LOCALE(1)

NAME
locale -- display locale settings SYNOPSIS
locale [-a|m] locale [-ck] name [...] DESCRIPTION
locale displays information about the current locale, or a list of all available locales. When locale is run with no arguments, it will display the current source of each locale category. When locale is given the name of a category, it acts as if it had been given each keyword in that category. For each keyword it is given, the current value is displayed. OPTIONS
-a Lists all public locales. -c name ... Lists the category name before each keyword, unless it is the same category as the previously displayed keyword. -k name ... Displays the name of each keyword prior to its value. -m Lists all available public charmaps. Darwin locales do not support charmaps, so list all CODESETs instead. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: name is the name of a keyword or category to display. A list of all keywords and categories can be shown with the following command: locale -ck LC_ALL ENVIRONMENT
LANG Used as a substitute for any unset LC_* variable. If LANG is unset, it will act as if set to "C". If any of LANG or LC_* are set to invalid values, locale acts as if they are all unset. LC_ALL Will override the setting of all other LC_* variables. LC_COLLATE Sets the locale for the LC_COLLATE category. LC_CTYPE Sets the locale for the LC_CTYPE category. LC_MESSAGES Sets the locale for the LC_MESSAGES category. LC_MONETARY Sets the locale for the LC_MONETARY category. LC_NUMERIC Sets the locale for the LC_NUMERIC category. LC_TIME Sets the locale for the LC_TIME category. SEE ALSO
localedef(1), localeconv(3), nl_langinfo(3), setlocale(3) STANDARDS
The locale utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
locale appeared in Mac OS X 10.4 Darwin August 27, 2004 Darwin