Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grepping for variable in brackets Post 302777925 by mirni on Friday 8th of March 2013 06:03:16 PM
Old 03-08-2013
How do you set the $var variable? I suspect the 'var' contains some other characters, since the grep line works as expected:
Code:
$ var=9878; echo '[9878] [6376]' | grep "\[$var\]"
[9878] [6376]

If you post your script, you would have a much better chance of getting help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping a variable

I need to pass a parameter that will then be grepped. I need it to grep /paramater and then have a space so if 123 was passed my grep would be grep '/123 ' sample.log this works fine from the command line but when i try and set it searchThis="/$2 " and then run grep $searchThis... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnia
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping Date Variable

Hello, I would like for the user to input the date for a particular log file, then have the input sent to a variable, which is then used via grep to extra the logs for the specific date the user request. I did some searching, but I still don't understand why I'm not seeing any result. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravzter
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get value between brackets

Hi I am having hard time getting this right and need some help. I Have several log files, and everyone contains the following 3 lines at the end: 4 ETW000 Disconnected from database. 4 ETW000 End of Transport (0000). 4 ETW000 date&time: 13.01.2011 - 08:03:28 I need to capture the value... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimo
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file and returning passed variable if the value does not exist in file at all.

I have a list of fields that I want to check a file for, returning that field if it not found at all in the file. Is there a way to do a grep -lc and return the passed variable too rather then just the count? I am doing some crappy work-around now but I was not sure how to regrep this for :0 so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: personalt
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete text between square brackets and also delete those square brackets using sed or awk

Hi All, I have a text file which looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I want to get rid of these square brackets and also the text that is inside these brackets. So that my final text file looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I am using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Variable in Curly Brackets Returns Empty Value

Hello Team, I have a script which will grep for a time from a file. I have following code to grep for a time in a file. node=`hostname` current_date=`date` file11=weblogic.log next_date=`date '+%b %e, %Y'` next_date_time11=`grep -i "${#next_date}" ${file11}| tail -1 | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolguyamy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

set variable with square brackets in c shell!

Hi Guys, I want to set a variable which happend to have square brackets in them. I tried multiple ways that is by escaping it with quotes (both single and double ) but it didn't help. All I want is: set x = slicearray.slice\.post My failed attempts were: set x = "slicearray.slice\.post"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping the file into a variable after SSH into a server

Hi All, When i am logged into a server , i am able to assign grep value to a variable as follows. VAR=`grep 'Listener stopped' /logs/perf.log` However, when i log out of the server, and try to execute the following command by first SSHing into server, it throws error. $ VAR=`ssh Server... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle grepping variable data containing wildcards?

I have a lot of files with keywords and unique names. I'm using a shell script to refer to a simple pattern file with comma separated values in order to match on certain keywords. The problem is that I don't understand how to handle the wildcard values when I want to skip over the unique names. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abercrom
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grepping for one variable while using awk to parse an associated variable

Im trying to search for a single variable in the first field and from that output use awk to extract out the lines that contain a value less than a value stored in another variable. Both the variables are associated with each other. Any guidance is appreciated. File that contains the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
6 Replies
INTVAL(3)								 1								 INTVAL(3)

intval - Get the integer value of a variable

SYNOPSIS
int intval (mixed $var, [int $base = 10]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the integer value of $var, using the specified $base for the conversion (the default is base 10). intval(3) should not be used on objects, as doing so will emit an E_NOTICE level error and return 1. PARAMETERS
o $var - The scalar value being converted to an integer o $base - The base for the conversion Note If $base is 0, the base used is determined by the format of $var: o if string includes a "0x" (or "0X") prefix, the base is taken as 16 (hex); otherwise, o if string starts with "0", the base is taken as 8 (octal); otherwise, o the base is taken as 10 (decimal). RETURN VALUES
The integer value of $var on success, or 0 on failure. Empty arrays return 0, non-empty arrays return 1. The maximum value depends on the system. 32 bit systems have a maximum signed integer range of -2147483648 to 2147483647. So for example on such a system, intval('1000000000000') will return 2147483647. The maximum signed integer value for 64 bit systems is 9223372036854775807. Strings will most likely return 0 although this depends on the leftmost characters of the string. The common rules of integer casting apply. EXAMPLES
Example #1 intval(3) examples The following examples are based on a 32 bit system. <?php echo intval(42); // 42 echo intval(4.2); // 4 echo intval('42'); // 42 echo intval('+42'); // 42 echo intval('-42'); // -42 echo intval(042); // 34 echo intval('042'); // 42 echo intval(1e10); // 1410065408 echo intval('1e10'); // 1 echo intval(0x1A); // 26 echo intval(42000000); // 42000000 echo intval(420000000000000000000); // 0 echo intval('420000000000000000000'); // 2147483647 echo intval(42, 8); // 42 echo intval('42', 8); // 34 echo intval(array()); // 0 echo intval(array('foo', 'bar')); // 1 ?> NOTES
Note The $base parameter has no effect unless the $var parameter is a string. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Throws E_NOTICE and returns 1, when an object is | | | passed to $var. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
boolval(3), floatval(3), strval(3), settype(3), is_numeric(3), Type juggling, BCMath Arbitrary Precision Mathematics Functions. PHP Documentation Group INTVAL(3)