Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Lock file creates with '?'
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Lock file creates with '?' Post 302777867 by Don Cragun on Friday 8th of March 2013 01:48:29 PM
Old 03-08-2013
You haven't given us much to help with this, but as a wild guess I'd say you edited your script with something that adds a carriage return before the newline at the end of each line. To verify, try:
Code:
od -c NameOfFileContainingScript

and look for occurrences of the string \r in the output.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Security Question: Lock after invalid login, Session Lock and Required Minimum Password Length

Hello all, If anyone has time, I have a few questions: How do I do the following in Linux. We are using Red Hat and Oracle Enterprise Linux, which is based on Red Hat too. 1. How to lock the account after a few (like 3) invalid password attempts? 2. How do you lock a screen after 30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nstarz
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed in script creates output file ending with '?' (^M)

Hi, I'm trying to use sed within a shell script (bash, running ubuntu). The command works fine from the command line, but when I use it within the script, rather than creating a file with the name I've specified, it creates one that ends with a question mark '?' when you use ls, e.g.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jennykay
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script sometimes creates an empty file

I have a script that runs ditto for me, and occasionally (if I exit the script while ditto is running in the background) it will leave an empty file named 0 in the script's directory. The next time I run the script, it generates incorrect data because of this file. I know I can easily insert a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reid
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script sometimes creates an empty file

I have a script that runs ditto for me, and occasionally (if I exit the script while ditto is running in the background) it will leave an empty file named 0 in the script's directory. The next time I run the script, it generates incorrect data because of this file. I know I can easily insert a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reid
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Testing privileges -lock lockfile /var/lock/subsys/..- Permission denied

Hi all, I have to test some user priviliges. The goal is to be sure that an unauthorized user can't restart some modules (ssh, mysql etc...). I'm trying to automate it with a shell script but in same cases I got the syslog broadcast message. Is there any way to simply get a return code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirection creates empty file

I'm using a script that does some modifications to data on disc and updates the database. The script (perl) uses STDOUT so the results are printed to the screen. I don't have permissions to modify the script. I want to capture the results in a file so I can see if errors occurred and also keep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: surib
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a script that creates a 1GB file with zeros using dd

I am new to Linux. Using latest version of Ubuntu. I want to make a script that creates a 1GB file filled with zeros using dd and then formats the file as vfat with a label of "MYFILE". If anyone can help me it would be appreciated. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: paviter619
9 Replies

8. Red Hat

Script creates additional file

Hi, I have created a test script like this : # cat script1.sh DAY=$(date +%d) MONTH=$(date +%b) YEAR=$(date +%Y) BC01="Blast_BC01" BC15="Blast_BC15" DIR1="$MONTH$YEAR_$BC01" DIR2="$MONTH$YEAR_$BC07" DIR3="$MONTH$YEAR_$BC15" if ;then mkdir -p "$YEAR/$DIR3" fi # When I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a script that creates a 1GB file with zeros using dd

I am new to Linux. Using latest version of Ubuntu. I want to make a script that creates a 1GB file filled with zeros using dd and then formats the file as vfat with a label of "MYFILE". If anyone can help me it would be appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amandasaza08
1 Replies
IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream(3pm)

NAME
"IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream" - stream-based protocols using lines of text SYNOPSIS
Most likely this class will be subclassed to implement a particular network protocol. package Net::Async::HelloWorld; use strict; use warnings; use base qw( IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream ); sub on_read_line { my $self = shift; my ( $line ) = @_; if( $line =~ m/^HELLO (.*)/ ) { my $name = $1; $self->invoke_event( on_hello => $name ); } } sub send_hello { my $self = shift; my ( $name ) = @_; $self->write_line( "HELLO $name" ); } This small example elides such details as error handling, which a real protocol implementation would be likely to contain. DESCRIPTION
EVENTS
The following events are invoked, either using subclass methods or CODE references in parameters: on_read_line $line Invoked when a new complete line of input is received. PARAMETERS
The following named parameters may be passed to "new" or "configure": on_read_line => CODE CODE reference for the "on_read_line" event. METHODS
$lineprotocol->write_line( $text ) Writes a line of text to the transport stream. The text will have the end-of-line marker appended to it; $text should not end with it. AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2012-10-24 IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream(3pm)