Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Handling tape errors in script Post 302777809 by Corona688 on Friday 8th of March 2013 11:53:51 AM
Old 03-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by landog
Thanks!

What if the stderr message is this:
Code:
backup: 0511-089 Cannot open /dev/rmt0: The input or output media is write-protected.
Mount volume 1 on /dev/rmt0.
        Press Enter to continue

Would it just hang as no one could "Press Enter" ?
When your script is run from cron, it has nothing to read ENTER from -- no terminal. When the utility tries to read, it will get EOF or some sort of error, and probably quit. A badly-coded program might go into an infinite loop though.

A well-coded program could even tell that it has no terminal, and not bother trying.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO 5.0.5 Tape Drive errors

hi guys, I.m trying to remove and add a new tape drive by using the mkdev tape command and when i try to update the Kernel this is what i'm getting, i386ld: Symbol Sdsk_no_tag in /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Eb/etc/conf/pack.d/blad/s pace.o is multiply defined. First defined in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Handling Errors in Shell Scripts

I have a shell script, which calls a load script to load a database. How can i handle errors in Unix(similar to 'error level' in Batch scripts)? I am trying to use 'mailx' to send a Success/failure message based on the error level returned by the load script. I have already used an error log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarsani
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script file handling

Hi ! /bin/sh set logdir1 "logDir/local/logname" #write the filename into a file echo $logdir1 >> logname.txt how do i exec the above echo command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nathgopi214
1 Replies

4. SCO

Tape Status shows 2 Hard errors and 5 Underruns on new tape

when I do a tape status /dev/rStp0 I get the following on a new tape and I have tried several: Status : ready beginning-of-tape soft errors : 0 hard errors: 2 underruns: 5 My BackupEdge has stopped backing up my system because it asks for a new volume yet my total system data is under 20... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psytropic
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

handling filespec in bash script

hi there, i just need a help handling the output of filespec in case has been picked im writing a bash script similar to the command ls, and ive done everything except handing the filespec which i spent more than 3 hrs and i coundn't figure out or find any on the net. all what i need is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2Linux
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Handling input from a ls in a script

I'm trying to write a script that will handle the input from the ls command in my script so I can then manipulate the data. For example, I want to capture the output of the ls command in my script and then do a differences between the filename received in to another directory. ls |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spookyrtd99
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File handling in Script

Hi All, How can we handle file operation in scripts. I have written a script that run ok otherwise however the "Cat" operation leaves a process open on the box. Command is like cat "${LASTFILENAME}" | /usr/xpg4/bin/awk -F, '{do{if ($3 == "100" && $4 == "300" && $170 ~ /^abc/) { ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raman1605
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Error Handling on Script

Hi, I need your guys help again. I run a script which check for some process status in a loop. when i check the process some of the process could throw an error, how can i check that inside my script. Thanks, RR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrb2009
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Script Error Handling

Good Day Everyone, I was hoping to get a little insight into an expect script that I've written. Basically we have this expect script to perform an sftp upload, key authentication is not an option, and sftp is the only method supported by our vendor, thus the need for this. I want to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thaller
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script handling processes

Hello I have a file which has around 120 lines of commands. I am trying to write a shell script like which reads the 'command' file and executes line by line with some additional (common argument) with maximum 6 commands active at a time. Each of these commands when executed takes time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackyShane_36
5 Replies
run(1F) 							   FMLI Commands							   run(1F)

NAME
run - run an executable SYNOPSIS
run [ -s] [-e] [-n] [-t string] program DESCRIPTION
The run command runs program, using the PATH variable to find it. By default, when program has completed, the user is prompted (Press ENTER to continue:), before being returned to FMLI. The argument program is a system executable followed by its options (if any). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e If -e is specified, the user will be prompted before returning to FMLI only if there is an error condition -n If -n is specified, the user will never be prompted before returning to FMLI (useful for programs like vi, in which the user must do some specific action to exit in the first place). -s The -s option means "silent", implying that the screen will not have to be repainted when program has completed. Note that the -s option should only be used when program does not write to the terminal. In addition, when -s is used, program cannot be interrupted, even if it recognizes interrupts. -tstring If -t is specified, string is the name this process will have in the pop-up menu generated by the frm-list command. This feature requires the executable facesuspend (see face(1)) to suspend the process and return to the FMLI appli- cation. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample output of run command Here is a menu that uses run: menu="Edit special System files" name="Password file" action=`run -e vi /etc/passwd` name="Group file" action=`run -e vi /etc/group` name="My .profile" action=`run -n vi $HOME/.profile` ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
face(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Nov 1999 run(1F)