Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Character count in UNIX!
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Character count in UNIX! Post 302777397 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 7th of March 2013 11:28:39 PM
Old 03-08-2013
The trailing carriage return - a \n or newline character - is number sixteen.

That character is created by the <return> key.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to count no of occurences of a character in a string in UNIX

i have a string like echo "a|b|c" . i want to count the | symbols in this string . how to do this .plz tell the command (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamesh83
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix shll script for character count findings?

Hi, iam presenting the input text file format.Of this i need the character count of the number of characters present in each file.The attached file is a combination of 3 text file.each text file starts at record 1 - 34, then the next tetx file starts. What i need is the character count of each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethunath
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

count character

Hi, I am reading a string from a file. now i want to count the number of chareacter in the string and if it is more then 8 capture only last 8 characters. ex. string=mypassword <<do something>> output should be: string=password Thanks for you help. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: myguess21
13 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

character count of my document?

In Vi, how do I get a character count of my document? Also, in: ls -l I see the number 435, is that in bytes? Thanks:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JudoMan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

character count per record

Hello can someone please advise. I need to send records in a file that are over 10,000 characters long to a seperate file. Any ideas? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dolph
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurences of a character in a field defined by the character in another field

Hello, I have a text file with n lines in the following format (9 column fields): Example: contig00012 149606 G C 49 68 60 18 c$cccccacccccccccc^c I need to count the number of lower-case and upper-case occurences in column 9, respectively, of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - count character count of fields

Hello All, I got a requirement when I was working with a file. Say the file has unloads of data from a table in the form 1|121|asda|434|thesi|2012|05|24| 1|343|unit|09|best|2012|11|5| I was put into a scenario where I need the field count in all the lines in that file. It was simply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a certain character in a filename and count the characters up to the certain character

Hello, I do have folders containing having funny strings in their names and one space. First, I do remove the funny strings and replace the space by an underscore. find . -name '* *' | while read file; do target=`echo "$file" | sed 's/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tempestas
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I remove leading spaces in UNIX when count of space character is not fixed? Example below-

Script showStreamsGLIS$reg.$env.ksh gives me output as below- Job Stime Etime Status ExitCode GLIS-AS-S-EFL-LOCK-B ----- ----- OI 103313880/0 GLIS-ALL-Q-EOD-FX-UPDT-1730-B ----- ----- TE 0/0 GLIS-TK-S-BWSOD-B ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
curs_ins_wstr(3X)														 curs_ins_wstr(3X)

NAME
ins_wstr, ins_nwstr, wins_wstr, wins_nwstr, mvins_wstr, mvins_nwstr, mvwins_wstr, mvwins_nwstr - insert a wide-character string into a curses window SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int ins_wstr(const wchar_t *wstr); int ins_nwstr(const wchar_t *wstr, int n); int wins_wstr(WINDOW *win, const wchar_t *wstr); int wins_nwstr(WINDOW *win, const wchar_t *wstr, int n); int mvins_wstr(int y, int x, const wchar_t *wstr); int mvins_nwstr(int y, int x, const wchar_t *wstr, int n); int mvwins_wstr(WINDOW *win, int y, int x, const wchar_t *wstr); int mvwins_nwstr(WINDOW *win, int y, int x, const wchar_t *wstr, int n); DESCRIPTION
These routines insert a wchar_t character string (as many characters as will fit on the line) before the character under the cursor. All characters to the right of the cursor are shifted right, with the possibility of the rightmost characters on the line being lost. No wrap- ping is performed. The cursor position does not change (after moving to y, x, if specified). The four routines with n as the last argu- ment insert a leading substring of at most n wchar_t characters. If n is less than 1, the entire string is inserted. If a character in wstr is a tab, newline, carriage return or backspace, the cursor is moved appropriately within the window. A newline al- so does a clrtoeol before moving. Tabs are considered to be at every eighth column. If a character in wstr is another control character, it is drawn in the ^X notation. Calling win_wch after adding a control character (and moving to it, if necessary) does not return the con- trol character, but instead returns a character in the ^-representation of the control character. NOTES
Note that all but wins_nwstr may be macros. If the first character in the string is a nonspacing character, these functions will fail. XSI does not define what will happen if a non- spacing character follows a control character. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. SEE ALSO
curses(3X), curs_insstr(3X), curs_in_wch(3X), curs_ins_wch(3X). curs_ins_wstr(3X)