Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to delete lines of a text file based on another text file? Post 302777379 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 7th of March 2013 08:35:51 PM
Old 03-07-2013
Code:
awk 'FILENAME=="file2" {arr[$0]++}
       FILENAME=="file1"  {if($0 in arr) {next}; print $0 }' file2 file1 > outputfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Delete specific lines in a text file

Hi, experts, I would like to create a function that can calculate the total number of lines in a saved text file and delete specific lines in that particular file (I only want the last few lines). Hav anybody have the experience and giv me a hand in this? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dniz
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blocks of lines from text file

Hello, Hello Firends, I have file like below. I want to remove selected blocks say abc,pqr,lst. how can i remove those blocks from file. zone abc { blah blah blah } zone xyz { blah blah blah } zone pqr { blah blah blah } (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrbhole
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete block of text in one file based on list in another file

Hi all I currently use the following in shell. #!/bin/sh while read LINE do perl -i -ne "$/ = ''; print if !m'Using archive: ${LINE}'ms;" "datafile" done < "listfile" NOTE the single quote delimiters in the expression. It's highly likely the 'LINE' may very well have characters in it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Festus Hagen
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallel delete based flag from text file

Hi, I need a unix shell script for this requirement and is URGENT My input text file contains A-1 B-1 C-1 D-2 E-2 F-3 G-3 H-3 I-3 J-4 K-4 L-5 My expected result should be: if flag is 1, it has to delete A, B, C if flag is 2, it has to delete D,E if flag is 3, it has to delete... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moses_a
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete vertical lines in an text file

Hi everybody! I need to delete several vertical lines in a huge text file. It should work like the example below. Delete the vertical lines 2 and 8. 123456789 masldfjla afsajfwel sajfljsaf safsarfrl sajfeljwq 1345679 msldfja asajfwl sjfljsf sfsarfl sjfeljq Is there a... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: relaxo
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

looking for a script that will delete lines in a text file

it will grep for a line and then delete these line. how do i begin to write this script if theres no available one? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: garfish
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete lines from text file?

hi guys, I have very large txt files (200GB) and just want to to delete the first two lines (headers). So far I used sed -i '1,2d' infile.txtbut this command always takes extremely long as it writes all again. Is there a better way to do it (ie just to delete the lines without writing all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TuAd
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines from a text file based on another text file with line numbers

Hi, I am trying to extract lines from a text file given a text file containing line numbers to be extracted from the first file. How do I go about doing this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete records based on a text file from a text file

Hi Folks, I am a novice and need to build a script in bash. I have 2 text files data.txt file is big file, column 2 is the we need to search and delete in the output. The filter file contains the rows to be deleted. Data.txt state city zone Alabama Huntsville 4 California SanDiego 3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)