Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Tarring files up to four days old Post 302777271 by DGPickett on Thursday 7th of March 2013 02:22:37 PM
Old 03-07-2013
The find mtime is nice for casual stuff like log file finding, but for precise date-time bracketing, touch marker files and "find ... -newer marker1 ! -newer marker2". After, make marker2 into marker1. The gnu/LINUX date command is good for formatting dates.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup : files being modified while tarring

I would like to back up several directories weekly using a cronjob. I'm not experienced in UNIX, but I would start like this: tar -cvf backup.tar dir1 dir2 dir3 Now if a file is being modified in the process it will result in an error. How can I prevent this from happening and how can I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamesbond
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tarring and gzipping dump files

Say I want to transfer several dump files from a Solaris machine onto a Win2k machine for storage. It was suggested that I tar and gzip the dump files before doing so. Is it completely necessary to use both of these utilities, or is it sufficient to compress multiple dump files into one gzip... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PSC
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls latest 4 days or specify days of files in the directory

Hi, I would like to list latest 2 days, 3 days or 4 days,etc of files in the directory... how? is it using ls? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tarring large no. of files

dears, I have a folder containing huge no. of files, some of them are created on AUG 16, AUG 17 and AUG 18, for example. All I want to do is tarring all the files created on a certain date, say AUG 18, in one tar file, only in one command line. So, how to feed all the files created on a certain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marwan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tarring/compressing files in Unix directory

hi guys, i'm totally new with Unix sripting and no idea how to do the scripting at all. My problem is that my boss asked me to do this: 1.) create a script that will tar or gzip the files in particular directory eg: i'm on my home directory and I need to tar/gzip the file in.. assuming... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: montski
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Tarring not un Tarring correctly

HI All, Im encountering behaviour that is not correct for my requirements when I untar a file. Im using the below command to tar up files from various folders to the ARCHIVE folder as below... tar -cvf "$ARCHIVE_PATH"/"$dte_tar_filename" "$LOG_PATH" "$PROCESSED_PATH2" "$ERROR_PATH" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tarring problem.

We execute script to tarr files as normal user. Normal user doesn't have permission to append file to existing tarr file, since tarr files are owned by root user. Even though script is creating tar file and is executed by normal user, It shows that tar file is created by root. I ran script for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help in reading N days files from a Directory & combining the files

Hi All, Request your expertise in tackling one requirement in my project,(i dont have much expertise in Shell Scripting). The requirement is as below, 1) We store the last run date of a process in a file. When the batch run the next time, it should read this file, get the last run date from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create zip/gz/tar files for if the files are older than particular days in UNIX or Linux?

I need a script file for backup (zip or tar or gz) of old log files in our unix server (causing the space problem). Could you please help me to create the zip or gz files for each log files in current directory and sub-directories also? I found one command which is to create gz file for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mallikgm
4 Replies

10. HP-UX

Tarring files to remote server

Hi, I need to tar some files in a directory to a remote server. I need to exclude some file from this directory and then tar it over. This is the command suggested by one article (tarring in the same server) : tar -zcvf /tmp/mybackup.tar.gz -X exclude.txt /home/me However it does not... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
9 Replies
clfmerge(1)							     logtools							       clfmerge(1)

NAME
clfmerge - merge Common-Log Format web logs based on time-stamps SYNOPSIS
clfmerge [--help | -h] [-b size] [-d] [file names] DESCRIPTION
The clfmerge program is designed to avoid using sort to merge multiple web log files. Web logs for big sites consist of multiple files in the >100M size range from a number of machines. For such files it is not practical to use a program such as gnusort to merge the files because the data is not always entirely in order (so the merge option of gnusort doesn't work so well), but it is not in random order (so doing a complete sort would be a waste). Also the date field that is being sorted on is not particularly easy to specify for gnusort (I have seen it done but it was messy). This program is designed to simply and quickly sort multiple large log files with no need for temporary storage space or overly large buf- fers in memory (the memory footprint is generally only a few megs). OVERVIEW
It will take a number (from 0 to n) of file-names on the command line, it will open them for reading and read CLF format web log data from them all. Lines which don't appear to be in CLF format (NB they aren't parsed fully, only minimal parsing to determine the date is per- formed) will be rejected and displayed on standard-error. If zero files are specified then there will be no error, it will just silently output nothing, this is for scripts which use the find com- mand to find log files and which can't be counted on to find any log files, it saves doing an extra check in your shell scripts. If one file is specified then the data will be read into a 1000 line buffer and it will be removed from the buffer (and displayed on stan- dard output) in date order. This is to handle the case of web servers which date entries on the connection time but write them to the log at completion time and thus generate log files that aren't in order (Netscape web server does this - I haven't checked what other web servers do). If more than one file is specified then a line will be read from each file, the file that had the earliest time stamp will be read from until it returns a time stamp later than one of the other files. Then the file with the earlier time stamp will be read. With multiple files the buffer size is 1000 lines or 100 * the number of files (whichever is larger). When the buffer becomes full the first line will be removed and displayed on standard output. OPTIONS
-b buffer-size Specify the buffer-size to use, if 0 is specified then it means to disable the sliding-window sorting of the data which improves the speed. -d Set domain-name mangling to on. This means that if a line starts with as the name of the site that was requested then that would be removed from the start of the line and the GET / would be changed to GET http://www.company.com/ which allows programs like Webal- izer to produce good graphs for large hosting sites. Also it will make the domain name in lower case. EXIT STATUS
0 No errors 1 Bad parameters 2 Can't open one of the specified files 3 Can't write to output AUTHOR
This program, its manual page, and the Debian package were written by Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au>. SEE ALSO
clfsplit(1),clfdomainsplit(1) Russell Coker <;russell@coker.com.au> 0.06 clfmerge(1)