Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Determining Values for NIce and Priority items in limits.conf file Post 302777181 by DGPickett on Thursday 7th of March 2013 12:31:20 PM
Old 03-07-2013
I thought CD burners, the new ones, have enough buffer to survive o/s and app underflow. I guess it depends on how long a track is, or whether the firmware.CD hardware/medaia allows it to see where it left off and turn on writing right there.

The mmap()/munmap() is neat, though, as it allows a 32 bit program to use unlimited RAM. Things mapped stay in memory even if unmapped and are available to a new map, so you can swap super-pages of a huge set of files in your limited address space. Of course, mmap64() allows you to leave it all mapped, at the cost of fatter code. Some sort of client-server arrangement allows tight 32 bit clients to access all that data on a tight 64 bit data server.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

limits.conf

Hello! How do make the limits.conf parameters work for a normal user. Ive changed both the hard and soft parameter for the specific user. It used to be 4096 and i changed it to 16384. But when i use the ulimit -n, all i got is permissen denied. Witch i can understand. But my question is? how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dozy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

limits.conf

I have line in this file that says: username - maxlogins 1 and user can login 2 times instad of one. does enybody know why? and how can I fix that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shooroop
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

urgent help required on changing process priority using nice

Hi folks, Hope you can help me. I have a process that is currently running at nice 20 and need it to run faster (-10?). How do I change the process using nice? I have the process number and thought it would be along the lines of; nice -10 process_id but it doesn't seem to like that. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gshuttleworth
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc/security/limits.conf

HI, To restrict the number of files and number of processes used the user we use the following configuration in the file /etc/security/limits.conf. oracle soft nofile 65572 oracle hard nofile 65572 oracle soft noproc 16384 oracle soft noproc 16384 My question is what do the 'soft' and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris counterpart of /etc/security/limits.conf

Hi, How can we set per user core file size, etc in solaris, i.e. I want solaris counterpart/equivalent of linux /etc/security/limits.conf. TIA (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slash_blog
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Modifying limits.conf & pam.d

Hello all, I'm running Oracle 10.2 on RHEL5. Current value of ulimit -n is set to a low value of 1024. I need to increase it to 65536 using the following procedure. cat >> /etc/security/limits.conf <<EOF oracle soft nproc 2047 oracle hard nproc 16384 oracle soft nofile 1024 oracle hard... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

max/ideal value of items in limits.conf in rhel5?

i want to set limits in /etc/security/limits.conf.My os is rhel 5.2. It was giving continuous messages in in /var/log/secure like : continuously. I have changed values of priority and nice to "0" from unlimited and messages are not comming. But i want to know what is the ideal/maximum... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Nice command (priority) from /bin/ksh

Hello, I am just starting with shell scripting, as everyone will soon see from my question. What I'm trying to do is call the Nice command to set the script process priority from /bin/ksh. The difference is I'm running it not directly through the shell, but through Bigfix (very similar to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solly119
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Soft and hard limits for nproc value in /etc/security/limits.conf file (Linux )

OS version : RHEL 6.5 Below is an excerpt from /etc/security/limits.conf file for OS User named appusr in our server appusr soft nproc 2047 appusr hard nproc 16384 What will happen if appusr has already spawned 2047 processes and wants to spawn 2048th process ? I just want to know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
3 Replies
STICKY(7)					       BSD Miscellaneous Information Manual						 STICKY(7)

NAME
sticky -- Description of the `sticky' (S_ISVTX) bit functionality DESCRIPTION
A special file mode, called the sticky bit (mode S_ISVTX), is used to indicate special treatment for directories. See chmod(2) or the file /usr/include/sys/stat.h Sticky files For regular files, the use of mode S_ISVTX is reserved and can be set only by the super-user. NetBSD does not currently treat regular files that have the sticky bit set specially, but this behavior might change in the future. Sticky directories A directory whose ``sticky bit'' is set becomes a directory in which the deletion of files is restricted. A file in a sticky directory may only be removed or renamed by a user if the user has write permission for the directory and the user is the owner of the file, the owner of the directory, or the super-user. This feature is usefully applied to directories such as /tmp which must be publicly writable but should deny users the license to arbitrarily delete or rename each others' files. Any user may create a sticky directory. See chmod(1) for details about modifying file modes. HISTORY
The sticky bit first appeared in V7, and this manual page appeared in section 8. Its initial use was to mark sharable executables that were frequently used so that they would stay in swap after the process exited. Sharable executables were compiled in a special way so their text and read-only data could be shared amongst processes. vi(1) and sh(1) were such executables. This is where the term ``sticky'' comes from - the program would stick around in swap, and it would not have to be fetched again from the file system. Of course as long as there was a copy in the swap area, the file was marked busy so it could not be overwritten. On V7 this meant that the file could not be removed either, because busy executables could not be removed, but this restriction was lifted in BSD releases. To replace such executables was a cumbersome process. One had first to remove the sticky bit, then execute the binary so that the copy from swap was flushed, overwrite the executable, and finally reset the sticky bit. Later, on SunOS 4, the sticky bit got an additional meaning for files that had the bit set and were not executable: read and write operations from and to those files would go directly to the disk and bypass the buffer cache. This was typically used on swap files for NFS clients on an NFS server, so that swap I/O generated by the clients on the servers would not evict useful data from the server's buffer cache. BUGS
Neither open(2) nor mkdir(2) will create a file with the sticky bit set. BSD
May 10, 2011 BSD