Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers awk Grouping and Subgrouping with Counts Post 302776769 by JoshCrosby on Wednesday 6th of March 2013 09:35:34 PM
Old 03-06-2013
This looks awesome!! I have a really dumb question though, in the variables - is that expecting 2 files? one for just the products with counts and one just with skews, products and counts?

---------- Post updated at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:12 PM ----------

Works perfect!!!

For those who want to know.

To create the .Skew_Count use this one-liner:
Code:
awk -F"|" '$1 ~/p[0-9]/ { p[$2]++ }END{for (n in p) print n, p[n]}' products.txt >.Skew_Counts

To create the .Product_Counts use this:
Code:
awk -F"|" '$1 ~/p[0-9]/ { p[$1]++ }END{for (n in p) print n, p[n]}' products.txt > .Product_Counts

Don't forget to change file to products.txt at the end of the awk command

Don - HUGE THANK YOU!!!!!!!

By the way, using a MAC, so I don't have KornShell, used Bash without issue.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counts

How can i do a simple record count in my shell script? i just want to count the number of records i receive from a specific file. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: k@ssidy
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counts

To start I have a table that has ticketholders. Each ticket holder has a unique number and each ticket holder is associated to a so called household number. You can have multiple guests w/i a household. I would like to create 3 flags (form a, for a household that has 1-4 gst) form b 5-8 gsts... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbr262
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grouping using sed/awk ?

I run awk cat $1|awk '{print $6}' and get a lot of results and I want results to group them. For example my result is (o/p is unknown to user) xyz xyz abc pqr xyz pqr etc I wanna group them as xyz=total found 7 abc=total .... pqr= Thank (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pujansrt
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk grouping by name script

Hello I am trying to figure out a script which could group a log file by user names. I worked with awk command and I could trim the log file to: <USER: John Frisbie > /* Thu Aug 06 2009 15:11:45.7974 */ FLOAT GRANT WRITE John Frisbie (500 of 3005 write) <USER: Shawn Sanders > /* Thu Aug 06... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Avto
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script to create max value of 3rd column, grouping by first column

Hi, I need an awk script (or whatever shell-construct) that would take data like below and get the max value of 3 column, when grouping by the 1st column. clientname,day-of-month,max-users ----------------------------------- client1,20120610,5 client2,20120610,2 client3,20120610,7... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and perl grouping.

Hello folks. After awk, i have decided to start to learn perl, and i need some help. I have following output : 1 a 1 b 2 k 2 f 3 s 3 p Now with awk i get desired output by issuing : awk ' { a = a FS $2 } END { for ( i in a) print i,a }' input 1 a b 2 k f 3 s p Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Peasant
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grouping using sed or awk

I have below inside a file. 11.22.33.44 user1 11.22.33.55 user2 I need this manipulated as alias server1.domain.com='ssh user1@11.22.33.44' alias server2.domain.com='ssh user2@11.22.33.55' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk adding counts together from column

Hello Im new treat me nicely, I have a headache :) I have a script that seemed to work now it doesnt anyway, the last part is adding counts of unique items in a csv file eg 05492U34 38 05492U34 47 two columns, (many different values like this in file) i want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aniquebmx
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grouping and Subgrouping using awk

I have a data which looks like 1440993600|L|ABCDEF 1440993600|L|ABCD 1440993601|L|ABCDEF 1440993602|L|ABC 1440993603|L|ABCDE . . . 1441015200|L|AB 1441015200|L|ABC 1441015200|L|ABCDEF So basically, the $1 is epoch date, $2 and $3 is some application data From one if the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanty4u
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output counts of all matching strings lessthan a number using awk

The awk below is supposed to count all the matching $5 strings and count how many $7 values is less than 20. I don't think I need the portion in bold as I do not need any decimal point or format, but can not seem to get the correct counts. Thank you :). file chr5 77316500 77316628 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies
setup.types(5)						      Easy Software Products						    setup.types(5)

NAME
setup.types - epm gui setup types file format. DESCRIPTION
The EPM setup program normally presents the user with a list of software products to install, which is called a "custom" software installa- tion. If a file called setup.types is present in the package directory, the user will instead be presented with a list of installation types. Each type has an associated product list which determines the products that are installed by default. If a type has no products associated with it, then it is treated as a custom installation and the user is presented with a list of packages to choose from. FILE FORMAT
The setup.types file is an ASCII text file consisting of type and product lines. Comments can be inserted by starting a line with the pound sign (#). Each installation type is defined by a line starting with the word TYPE. Products are defined by a line starting with the word INSTALL: TYPE Typical End-User Configuration INSTALL foo INSTALL foo-help TYPE Typical Developer Configuration INSTALL foo INSTALL foo-help INSTALL foo-devel INSTALL foo-examples TYPE Custom Configuration In the example above, three installation types are defined. Since the last type includes no products, the user will be presented with the full list of products to choose from. SEE ALSO
epm(1) - create software packages setup(1) - graphical setup program for the esp package manager COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1999-2007 by Easy Software Products, All Rights Reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. 3 April 2006 ESP Package Manager setup.types(5)