Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux SLES Gui Not coming up
Operating Systems Linux SuSE Linux SLES Gui Not coming up Post 302776645 by DGPickett on Wednesday 6th of March 2013 03:33:06 PM
Old 03-06-2013
Wow! Something happened to your X installation. X can be fussy, spans many files and settings. I use Xvnc because then X is network failure immune. I am usually remote or on an X-only device (where I ran vncviewer inside X).
This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Need a gui for linux.

I want one that won't run too slugish on a slower system (p 200Mhz for example). I know kde is out, anybody think gnome will run ok (I got 128 megs ram on it btw...don't ask :))? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pudad
5 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Linux GUI

I got Linux 9 installed on my system with the GUI. One fine day....the GUI wouldn't start. How should i set it right? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: preeya
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Linux not logging into GUI

hi, Can someone help in trouble shooting why my RedHat linux 8.0 in not logging into the KDE screen. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kayode
1 Replies

4. SuSE

SLES - 10 -DFLT_MSGMAX - Message queues in /usr/src/linux/ipc/mqueue.c

Folks, Does anyone know the magic to balancing out the: DFLT_MSGMAX and the DFLT_MSGSIZEMAX values? Is there some magical formula... We have a home grown program that is choking we think because of these values (the 10 and the 8192 defaults) Thanks, thomas B. #define... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lacakid
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell scripts for linux SLES 10

Hi, could someone help me to create the following scripts Need to create couple of shell scripts on LINUX SLES 10 Using my id --------------- First script – this script should contain su and should take input <process name> 1 -login using my id and then sudo to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
1 Replies

6. SuSE

SLES 9 vs SLES 11 hard drive cache read timings are diffrent

Can anyone give me a little clue on why the hard drive cache read timings on sles 9 is better then sles 11? The same hardware was used in both test. I even deleted the ata_generic module from initrd. The speed difference is 10MB vs 5 MB Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 3junior
1 Replies

7. SuSE

HELP for Newbie: Unable to run GUI installer (Ubuntu client connected to SLES server)

Hello All, I'm using my Ubuntu 10.04 client connected via SSH to a SuSE Linux server (SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64) version 11 patchlevel=1). I'm trying to run an install of WebSphere Portal but can't seem to be able to run the GUI installer. Running xclock as root returns this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kartrait
7 Replies

8. Red Hat

Redhat Linux machine not coming up

We have a Redhat Enterprise Linux server which is not in production environment. Unfortunately it is not logging. How to trouble shoot it ?? How to know the exact problem ? :rolleyes: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux SuSE SLES 8 error..unable to issue shutdown command

the only way we can power off is if we actually press power button on server. Running on HP DL-G4. from root, when we issue command it just returns to root prompt. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amexboy
1 Replies
vncserver(1)							     TightVNC							      vncserver(1)

NAME
vncserver - a wrapper to launch an X server for VNC. SYNOPSIS
vncserver [:display] [-geometry widthxheight] [-depth depth] [-pixelformat rgbNNN|bgrNNN] [-name desktop-name] [Xvnc-options...] vncserver -kill :display vncserver -help DESCRIPTION
vncserver is a wrapper script for Xvnc, the free X server for VNC (Virtual Network Computing). It provides all capabilities of a standard X server, but does not connect to a display for itself. Instead, Xvnc creates a virtual desktop you can view or control remotely using a VNC viewer. OPTIONS
You can add Xvnc options at the command line. They will be added to the invocation of Xvnc without changes. The options provided by the vncserver itself are as follows: :display The display number to use. If omitted, the next free display number is used. -geometry widthxheight Set desktop width and height. -depth depth Set the colour depth of the visual to provide, in bits per pixel. Must be a value between 8 and 32. -pixelformat rgbNNN|bgrNNN Set colour format for pixels representation. The viewer can do the conversion to any other pixel format, but it is faster if the depth and pixel format of the server is the same as the equivalent values on the viewer display. -name string This specifies the name of the desktop. -kill :display Stops the session running on the specified display. -help Prints a short usage notice to stderr. EXAMPLES
vncserver Invokes Xvnc on the next available display and with suitable defaults. vncserver :1 Invokes Xvnc on display :1. vncserver -geometry 800x600 -depth 16 :1 Invokes Xvnc on display :1 with desktop size of 800x600 pixels and color depth of 16 bits per pixel. vncserver -kill :1 Shuts down Xvnc server on display :1. SEE ALSO
Xvnc(1), vncviewer(1), vncpasswd(1), vncconnect(1) AUTHORS
Original VNC was developed in AT&T Laboratories Cambridge. TightVNC additions were implemented by Constantin Kaplinsky. Many other people participated in development, testing and support. Man page authors: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>, Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com>, Constantin Kaplinsky <const@tightvnc.com> August 2006 vncserver(1)