Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is it possible to Divide a negative number in bash script Post 302776097 by kmnr877 on Wednesday 6th of March 2013 01:53:10 AM
Old 03-06-2013
I am taking the values one by one from the file and storing in a variable some. I am completely new to scripting so can you point if there is some other way to do it? Thank you in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C++ how to isdigit() a negative number?

hi people, I have a function which I am passing a stream which is basically postfix notation if(isdigit(in.peek())) { in >> number; nums.push(number); } else if (strchr("+-*/", in.peek( )) != NULL) { in >> symbol; do_operation(symbol, nums, okay); } ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Darklight
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for a negative number

Hi, I want to search for a return code of -3. Using grep "-3" *.* is giving a syntax error. Please suggest as to how can we search for this pattern using grep. Thanks, Krishna (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kzmatam
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ignore negative number in script

Hi, does anyone know how to ignore whether a number is negative in a script. E.g. if I have a variable that contains -1200, how do I ignore the minus sign? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Division returning a negative number

Hi All, Just faced an interesting thing in HP-UX. I was dividing 2955334616 / 2 by using echo `expr 2955334616 / 2` , and this ofcourse which expects 1477667308 to be returned. But I am getting -669816340 and I am :wall: how exactly this is possible. It is not one of the compliments (Ones or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sanand
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add and divide each numbers with the added number

Hi All, I am stuck with this problem. I have some 100000 (.dat) 1.dat, 2.dat,3.dat etc until 100000.dat files which look like this: 1.dat 1 2 3 4 0.99 4.54 All my files 1.dat until 100000.dat look the same but with different numbers. I have to first add all the numbers in each... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for the most negative number

Hello, I am trying to write a bash script which will give me the most negative number. Here is an example input: Ce 3.7729752124 -4.9505731588 -4.1061257680 Ce -6.9156611391 -0.5991784762 7.3051893138 Ce 7.6489739875 0.3513020731 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdl27789
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK print number of records, divide this number

I would like to print the number of records of 2 files, and divide the two numbers awk '{print NR}' file1 > output1 awk '{print NR}' file2 > output2 paste output1 output2 > output awl '{print $1/$2}' output > output_2 is there a faster way? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: programmerc
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Negative number comparison using nawk on Linux

Hi All, I am trying to compare two negative numbers using awk on linux.But it is giving me wrong result.Same code is working perfectly on solaris. print ((0+new_price) < MIN_PRICE) e.g If I try to compare -1.32(new_price) and -500(min_price) using "<" operator, output is 1 i.e true. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rashmee
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex negative look and bash script

My script have to read logfile, and take some action, if in pattern are strings: 1) exit 0 strings pattern ... "INF - Status"... success 2) exit 1 (! as not) strings pattern ... "INF - Status"... !success Simple example, what works #!/bin/bash tail -f regex.log | while read LOGLINE ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvaikla
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Converting negative number to positive in a file

Hi ALL, I am having semi column separated file as below. I am having negative values for the records starting with 11095. How can I convert that positive number I tried this below seems not working sed 's/ \(*\)$/ -\1/;t;s/\(.*\)-/\1/ myfile myfile... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
6 Replies
tkwait(n)						       Tk Built-In Commands							 tkwait(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
tkwait - Wait for variable to change or window to be destroyed SYNOPSIS
tkwait variable name tkwait visibility name tkwait window name _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The tkwait command waits for one of several things to happen, then it returns without taking any other actions. The return value is always an empty string. If the first argument is variable (or any abbreviation of it) then the second argument is the name of a global variable and the command waits for that variable to be modified. If the first argument is visibility (or any abbreviation of it) then the second argument is the name of a window and the tkwait command waits for a change in its visibility state (as indicated by the arrival of a Visi- bilityNotify event). This form is typically used to wait for a newly-created window to appear on the screen before taking some action. If the first argument is window (or any abbreviation of it) then the second argument is the name of a window and the tkwait command waits for that window to be destroyed. This form is typically used to wait for a user to finish interacting with a dialog box before using the result of that interaction. While the tkwait command is waiting it processes events in the normal fashion, so the application will continue to respond to user interac- tions. If an event handler invokes tkwait again, the nested call to tkwait must complete before the outer call can complete. KEYWORDS
variable, visibility, wait, window Tk tkwait(n)