Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help splitting files greater than 250mb Post 302775853 by mirni on Tuesday 5th of March 2013 01:51:24 PM
Old 03-05-2013
You can use this logic to do the renaming from lexicographic suffix to numeric:
Code:
#!/bin/bash 
for file in P8.*txt ; do
    size=$(ls -l $file | awk '{print $5}')              #get the size of file
    if [[ $size -gt $((250*1024*1024)) ]] ; then        #file bigger than 250M
       split -b 250M -a1 $file ${file%.txt}_            #do the spliting, -a1: use only one digit
       suff=0  
       for i in ${file%.txt}_[a-z] ; do                 #change _[a-z] to _[0-9] and add .txt suffix:
           if [[ $suff = 0 ]] ; then  
             newname=${i%_*}.txt 
           else 
             newname=${i%_*}_${suff}.txt 
           fi
          ((suff++))

echo mv $i  $newname                           #take out 'echo' if it works as you want
       done 
   fi
done

You can simplify by omitting the inner if ; else ; fi clause if you don't care that the first split file will have a number in it.
You may need to quote variables if the filenames have spaces in them.

Last edited by mirni; 03-05-2013 at 02:56 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting specific files greater then 90 days

I have a directory that contains a number of history files for a process. Every file starts with the string "EVACK". FOr example EVACK0101.000001 EVACK0102.095940 EVACKmmdd.hhmiss I want to erase in the specific directory ONLY(no sub-directories) all EVACK files older then 90 days. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beilstwh
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem creating files greater than 2GB

With the C code I am able to create files greater than 2GB if I use the 64 bit compile option -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64. There I am using the function fprintf to write into the file. But when I use C++ and ofstream the file is getting truncated when the size grows beyond 2GB. Is there any special... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobbyjohnz
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Important finding --- find files greater than 1 MB

as we can find file greater than 1 MB with find command as: find /dir -name '*' -size +1M find /dir/* -name '*' -size +1M but wats its doing is , its finding files only in current directory not in sub-directories. i want files from sub-directories too. Please help... Thanx in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj_dahiya22
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to find files equal to and greater than

Hi Guys and Gals, I'm having some difficulty putting this check into a shell script. I would like to search a particular directory for a number of files. The logic I have is pretty simple: Find file named *.txt that are newer than <this file> and count them If the number of files is equal to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List of Files which are Greater then a specific date

A newbie question... I need to get a list of the Files and folders which are greater then a specific date. I want write the output to a Text file. What I know ls -lrt gives me list of all the files ordered by date. Also ls > fileName will write the results to a text file. Please help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkaif
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files greater than a particular date in filename.

I need a unix command which will find all the files greater that a particular date in the file name. say for example I have files like(filenaming cov : filename.YYDDMMSSSS.txt) abc.201206015423.txt abc.201207013456.txt abc.201202011234.txt abc.201201024321.txt efg.201202011234.txt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
11 Replies

7. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Very Urgent ---Need to delete the log files when the disk used% greater than 85% using df -k*

Hi, I am new to Shell scripts. I have an urgent requirement to find the disk space using "df -k". from that output,I need to check the used% whether greater than 85%. if it is greater than 85% then need to delete my log files. It is very urgent please some one help me. Thanks in Advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anandbarnabas
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to delete the log files when the disk used% greater than 85% using df -k

Hi, I am new to Shell scripts. I have an urgent requirement to find the disk space using "df -k". from that output,I need to check the used% whether greater than 85%. if it is greater than 85% then need to delete my log files. It is very urgent please some one help me. Thanks in Advance... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anandbarnabas
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help list/find files greater 1G move to different directory

I have have 6 empty directory below. I would like write bash scipt if any files less "1000000000" bytes then move to "/export/home/mytmp/final" folder first and any files greater than "1000000000" bytes then move to final1, final2, final3, final4, final4, final5 and that depend see how many files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotran
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Automate splitting of files , scp files as each split completes and combine files on target server

i use the split command to split a one terabyte backup file into 10 chunks of 100 GB each. The files are split one after the other. While the files is being split, I will like to scp the files one after the other as soon as the previous one completes, from server A to Server B. Then on server B ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaika
2 Replies
zipnote(1)						      General Commands Manual							zipnote(1)

NAME
zipsplit - split a zipfile into smaller zipfiles SYNOPSIS
zipsplit [-t] [-i] [-p] [-s] [-n size] [-r room] [-b path] [-h] [-v] [-L] zipfile ARGUMENTS
zipfile Zipfile to split. OPTIONS
-t Report how many files it will take, but don't make them. -i Make index (zipsplit.idx) and count its size against first zip file. -n size Make zip files no larger than "size" (default = 36000). -r room Leave room for "room" bytes on the first disk (default = 0). -b path Use path for the output zip files. -p Pause between output zip files. -s Do a sequential split even if it takes more zip files. -h Show a short help. -v Show version information. -L Show software license. DESCRIPTION
zipsplit reads a zipfile and splits it into smaller zipfiles. EXAMPLES
To be filled in. BUGS
Does not yet support large (> 2 GB) or split archives. SEE ALSO
zip(1), unzip(1) AUTHOR
Info-ZIP v3.0 of 8 May 2008 zipnote(1)