Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Output block of lines in a file based on grep result Post 302775441 by Chubler_XL on Monday 4th of March 2013 10:43:27 PM
Old 03-04-2013
RS is record separator, when it is blank an empty line is used a the record separator ORS it the output record separator "\n\n" causes the output to also have a blank line (two newline chars) between records

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting formatted Result log file from old 30000 lines result log<help required>

Well I have a 3000 lines result log file that contains all the machine data when it does the testing... It has 3 different section that i am intrsted in 1) starting with "20071126 11:11:11 Machine Header 1" 1000 lines... "End machine header 1" 2) starting with "20071126 12:12:12 Machine... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas.iet
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get surrounding lines of grep result

hi, if i have a file and i want to search for the word error using grep, i usually want to see the surrounding lines too as they contain info about the error. what would be a nice way to achieve this? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep between block of lines in a file

Hi Friends, I have a file which has many of the statements like below ******** MAKING > noun1 < cg_all statements statements statements ********* MAKING > noun2 < cg_all statements statements statements ********* MAKING > noun3 < all statements statements statements I would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific lines of data from a file and related lines of data based on a grep value range?

Hi, I have one file, say file 1, that has data like below where 19900107 is the date, 19900107 12 144 129 0.7380047 19900108 12 168 129 0.3149017 19900109 12 192 129 3.2766666E-02 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wynner
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting awk output depending on grep result

Hi, I don't script often enough to know how to do this, and I can't seem to find a right example online. I have a csv output from an old, old system (Win2K???), from which I want to extract only certain fields. Initially I came up with something like this: cat file1 | awk -F '"' '{print $8... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: takada
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read 2 lines from File, Run Command based off output

Okay, so I have a file containing line after line of three digit numbers. I need a script that does an action based on the last two numbers in this list. So.... To get the last two numbers, I can have the script do tail -2 filename.txt But where I run into trouble is as follows. If... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: UCCCC
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort grep result based on timestamp?

Hi, Trying to sort grep result based on timestamp of the filename. I have the following result and want to sort them on timestampgrep -i 'ERROR' *log*2013* s_m_xxx_xxx_xxx_xxx_xxxx.log.20130906092431:TRANSF_1_1_1> DBG_21216 Finished transformations for Source Qualifier . Total errors ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -B used with -f? (Searching a file using a list of terms, output is lines before each match)

(1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep output to file result not as expected

Hi Gurus, I run command grep ABC file1 > file2 against below file. I got all ABC_xxx in one line in file2. I expect to get multiple lines in file2. If I print result in screen, the result is expected. thanks in advance My os is SunOS 5.10 Generic_150400-64 sun4v sparc sun4v ABC_123 XXXXX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_k
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search a multi-line shell command output and execute logic based on result

The following is a multi-line shell command example: $cargo build Compiling prawn v0.1.0 (/Users/ag/rust/prawn) error: failed to resolve: could not find `setup_panix` in `human_panic` --> src/main.rs:14:22 | 14 | human_panic::setup_panix!(); | ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogi
2 Replies
RLAM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   RLAM(1)

NAME
rlam - laminate records from multiple files SYNOPSIS
rlam [ -tS ][ -u ][ -iaN | -ifN | -idN | -iiN | -iwN | -ibN ] input1 input2 .. DESCRIPTION
Rlam simply joins records (or lines) from multiple inputs, separating them with the given string (TAB by default). Different separators may be given for different files by specifying additional -t options in between each file name. Note that there is no space between this option and its argument. If none of the input files uses an ASCII separator, then no end-of-line character will be printed, either. An input is either a stream or a command. Commands are given in quotes, and begin with an exclamantion point ('!'). If the inputs do not have the same number of lines, then shorter files will stop contributing to the output as they run out. The -ia option may be used to specify ASCII input (the default), or the -if option may be used to indicated binary IEEE 32-bit floats on input. Similarly, the -id and -ii options may be used to indicate binary 64-bit doubles or integer words, respectively. The -iw option specifies 2-byte short words, and the -ib option specifies bytes. If a number is immediately follows any of these options, then it indi- cates that multiple such values are expected for each record. For example, -if3 indicates three floats per input record for the next named input. In the case of the -ia option, no number indicates one line per input record, and numbers greater than zero indicate that many characters exactly per record. For binary input formts, no number implies one value per record. For anything other than EOL-separated input, the default tab separator is reset to the empty string. A hyphen ('-') by itself can be used to indicate the standard input, and may appear multiple times. The -u option forces output after each record (i.e., one run through inputs). EXAMPLE
To join files output1 and output2, separated by a comma: rlam -t, output1 output2 To join a file with line numbers (starting at 0) and its reverse: cnt `wc -l < lam.c` | rlam - -t: lam.c -t '!tail -r lam.c' To join four data files, each having three doubles per record: rlam -id3 file1.dbl file2.dbl file3.dbl file4.dbl > combined.dbl AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), histo(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), tabfunc(1), total(1) RADIANCE
7/8/97 RLAM(1)