Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Output block of lines in a file based on grep result Post 302775437 by Chubler_XL on Monday 4th of March 2013 10:18:04 PM
Old 03-04-2013
How about this, using awk:

Code:
awk '$1=="MN"' ORS="\n\n" RS= infile

This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting formatted Result log file from old 30000 lines result log<help required>

Well I have a 3000 lines result log file that contains all the machine data when it does the testing... It has 3 different section that i am intrsted in 1) starting with "20071126 11:11:11 Machine Header 1" 1000 lines... "End machine header 1" 2) starting with "20071126 12:12:12 Machine... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas.iet
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get surrounding lines of grep result

hi, if i have a file and i want to search for the word error using grep, i usually want to see the surrounding lines too as they contain info about the error. what would be a nice way to achieve this? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep between block of lines in a file

Hi Friends, I have a file which has many of the statements like below ******** MAKING > noun1 < cg_all statements statements statements ********* MAKING > noun2 < cg_all statements statements statements ********* MAKING > noun3 < all statements statements statements I would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific lines of data from a file and related lines of data based on a grep value range?

Hi, I have one file, say file 1, that has data like below where 19900107 is the date, 19900107 12 144 129 0.7380047 19900108 12 168 129 0.3149017 19900109 12 192 129 3.2766666E-02 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wynner
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting awk output depending on grep result

Hi, I don't script often enough to know how to do this, and I can't seem to find a right example online. I have a csv output from an old, old system (Win2K???), from which I want to extract only certain fields. Initially I came up with something like this: cat file1 | awk -F '"' '{print $8... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: takada
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read 2 lines from File, Run Command based off output

Okay, so I have a file containing line after line of three digit numbers. I need a script that does an action based on the last two numbers in this list. So.... To get the last two numbers, I can have the script do tail -2 filename.txt But where I run into trouble is as follows. If... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: UCCCC
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort grep result based on timestamp?

Hi, Trying to sort grep result based on timestamp of the filename. I have the following result and want to sort them on timestampgrep -i 'ERROR' *log*2013* s_m_xxx_xxx_xxx_xxx_xxxx.log.20130906092431:TRANSF_1_1_1> DBG_21216 Finished transformations for Source Qualifier . Total errors ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -B used with -f? (Searching a file using a list of terms, output is lines before each match)

(1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep output to file result not as expected

Hi Gurus, I run command grep ABC file1 > file2 against below file. I got all ABC_xxx in one line in file2. I expect to get multiple lines in file2. If I print result in screen, the result is expected. thanks in advance My os is SunOS 5.10 Generic_150400-64 sun4v sparc sun4v ABC_123 XXXXX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_k
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search a multi-line shell command output and execute logic based on result

The following is a multi-line shell command example: $cargo build Compiling prawn v0.1.0 (/Users/ag/rust/prawn) error: failed to resolve: could not find `setup_panix` in `human_panic` --> src/main.rs:14:22 | 14 | human_panic::setup_panix!(); | ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogi
2 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)