Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Adding a backslash in front of square brackets with sed Post 302775369 by mirni on Monday 4th of March 2013 04:51:04 PM
Old 03-04-2013
The outer brackets mean "character class", same as if you do [0-9] or [a-z], the inner brackets are the characters to be matched (any of the two). Ampersand recalls the pattern that was matched (in this case only one char -- one of the brackets).
This User Gave Thanks to mirni For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

square brackets

I would like to substitute a phrase which contains square brackets. change TO how? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilead29
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

WHy the double square brackets?

One of the senior administrators gave me a shell script to modify and it begins as follows: if ] && ] {more code follows} Why the double square brackets? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Test command - Two square brackets

Hello, Can someone please explain to me the following line, ] && break I do not understand why two test square brackets are used. Thanks, Shantanu ---------- Post updated at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:35 PM ---------- And, also why there's a $ before (echo $c |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shan_u2005
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing text between two square brackets

hi guys, i'm writing a script that looks for a unquie id in a file and replaces a string between two square brackets on the same line as the unquie id: ....... ....... 0001 zz 43242 replace this text] name 0002 sd 65466 UK] country ....... ....... how can i find line with id 0001... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaff
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

strip the square brackets from a word using sed or var expansion

Hi, I am trying to strip out leading and trailing brackets from a word. for example, I have a value, in a file. I want to strip out the leading and trailing brackets it and should get the value Running. I am using the following statement but in vain. grep "Workflow run status:" <... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete text between square brackets and also delete those square brackets using sed or awk

Hi All, I have a text file which looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I want to get rid of these square brackets and also the text that is inside these brackets. So that my final text file looks like this: computer programming systems engineering I am using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare the value in between square brackets in file

I wanted to compare the value inside the Squre bracket after Colon ( : ) based on any value(seperated by or operator | ) inside the variable Thread and if match found then wnated to store in output file Input file : 20140320 00:08:43.918 INO 35] - Corporate hub is 20140320 00:08:43.918... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nes
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep number between Square [] brackets

I wanted to store the number inside the square bracket between colon( : ) and closing suqre bracket(]) in some variable. Suppose I have lines like : Input file : 20140320 00:08:23.846 INFO 84] - anything in line 20140320 00:08:23.846 Test 589] - Virtual and lab lab anything... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: nes
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with occurence of square brackets

Hello all, I have the following problem: $ cat infile this is spam and i need this too this is spam and i need this too $ perl -nwe '$_ =~ /]+ \]+)\]\]*\]? (\+)$/; print "$1 - $2\n";' infile i need this - too i need this - and i need this too I am not sure how many occurences of... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

IF statement with square brackets

Hi All, Hope you all are doing good. Yesterday in my project i came across a scenario which i can not guess why it was working in one region and why it was not in another region. Please find my issue below. I am using AIX version 6.0 of UNIX in my project, in shell scripting i have the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mad man
1 Replies
SHELLEXP(3)						     Library Functions Manual						       SHELLEXP(3)

NAME
shellexp - match string against a cruft filter pattern SYNOPSIS
extern int shellexp(const char *string, const char *pattern); DESCRIPTION
The shellexp() function is similar to fnmatch(3), but works with cruft patterns instead of standard glob(7) patterns. The function returns a true value if string matches the cruft pattern pattern, and a false value (0) otherwise. Returns -1 in case of pattern syntax error. Cruft patterns are similar to glob(7) patterns, but are not fully compatible. The following special characters are supported: ? (a question mark) matches exacly one character of string other than a slash. * matches zero or more characters of string other than a slash. /** or /**/ matches zero or more path components in string. Please note that you can only use ** when directly following a slash, and further- more, only when either directly preceding a slash or at the very end of pattern. A ** followed by anything other than a slash makes pattern invalid. A ** following anything else than a slash reduces it to having the same effect as *. [character-class] Matches any character between the brackets exactly once. Named character classes are NOT supported. If the first character of the class is ! or ^, then the meaning is inverted (matches any character NOT listed between the brackets). If you want to specify a literal closing bracket in the class, then specify it as the first (or second, if you want to negate) character after the opening bracket. Also, simple ASCII-order ranges are supported using a dash character (see examples section). Any other character matches itself. EXAMPLES
/a/b*/*c matches /a/b/xyz.c, as well as /a/bcd/.c, but not /a/b/c/d.c. /a/**/*.c matches all of the following: /a/a.c, /a/b/a.c, /a/b/c/a.c and /a/b/c/d/a.c. /a/[0-9][^0-9]* matches /a/1abc, but not /a/12bc. BUGS
Uses constant-length 1000 byte buffers to hold filenames. Also uses recursive function calls, which are not very efficient. Does not vali- date the pattern before matching, so any pattern errors (unbalanced brackets or misplaced **) are only reported when and if the matching algorithm reaches them. SEE ALSO
fnmatch(3), glob(3), cruft(8) and dash-search(1). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Marcin Owsiany <porridge@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). October 17, 2007 SHELLEXP(3)