Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check file for string existence before appending it with string Post 302775001 by mirni on Monday 4th of March 2013 01:55:13 AM
Old 03-04-2013
Use semicolon to execute commands consecutively. You are incorrectly using pipe instead.
The easiest way is to do:
Code:
if grep -q string file.txt ; then 
  echo "string found" 
else
  echo "not found"
fi

This User Gave Thanks to mirni For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending string to text file based on search string

Hi, I need to append string "Hi" to the beginning of the lines containing some specific string. How can I achieve that? Please help. Malay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string, check string length and cut

Hello All, Plz help me with: I have a csv file with data separated by ',' and optionally enclosed by "". I want to check each of these values to see if they exceed the specified string length, and if they do I want to cut just that value to the max length allowed and keep the csv format as it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzy80
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending 'string' to file as first column.

Hi , I have the below file with 6 columns.I want to append 'File1' as the 1 column to the file. i have the sample code .It is not working . can u please correct this or make new one ..... awk 'print {'File1',$1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6}' Source_File> Result_File Source_File:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyam_sat
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending string at the end of the file

Hello, I wanted to append 'XYZ' at the end of the text file. How can i do this? I searched the forums and i am not getting what i want. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending string (charachters inside the line) to a fixed width file using awk or sed

Source File: abcdefghijklmnop01qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop02qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop03qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop04qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop05qrstuvwxyz Whatever characters are in 17-18 on each line of the file, it should be concatenated to the same line at the character number... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamahomekarasu
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending string, variable to file at the start and string at end

Hi , I have below file with 13 columns. I need 2-13 columns seperated by comma and I want to append each row with a string "INSERT INTO xxx" in the begining as 1st column and then a variable "$node" and then $2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7,$8,$9,$10,$11,$12,$13 and at the end another string " ; COMMIT;" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaddadi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse file from remote server to calculate count of string existence in that file

Hi I need to parse the file of same name which exist on different servers and calculate the count of string existed in both files. Say a file abc.log exist on 2 servers. I want to search for string "test" on both files and calculate the total count of search string's existence. For... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: poweroflinux
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching the required string and appending string to it.

Hi all, I have some data in the form of adc|nvhs|nahssn|njadnk|nkfds in the above data i need to write a script so thet it will append "|||" to the third occurnace in the string ..... the outout should look like adc|nvhs|nahssn||||njadnk|nkfds Thanks, Firestar. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Existence of a string in a file

Hi, I want to know whether a string or variable is exists in a perticular file or not. I want to use IF command in cshell. I am not sure how to use it. can any one help me.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arup1980
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Renaming files by appending string from within file to filename

Greetings. I am working in a Linux environment and am trying to figure out a way to rename files in a directory by appending a unique strings that appears within a certain area in those files. I have gotten as far as identifying what that particular unique string is with a command like the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
10 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)