Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extract string between paranthesis Post 302774939 by evelibertine on Sunday 3rd of March 2013 10:55:14 PM
Old 03-03-2013
Extract string between paranthesis

Hi,

I have a file of fasta headers that looks like the following:

Code:
>gi|28476830|ref|NR_001281.1| Homo sapiens protocadherin beta 18 pseudogene (PCDHB18), non-coding RNA
>gi|187937204|ref|NR_023342.1| Homo sapiens keratin associated protein 20-4 (KRTAP20-4), non-coding RNA
>gi|221139737|ref|NR_024072.2| Homo sapiens MRS2 magnesium homeostasis factor homolog (S. cerevisiae) pseudogene 2 (MRS2P2), non-coding RNA
>gi|219881533|ref|NR_003932.2| Homo sapiens ribosomal protein L13a pseudogene 20 (RPL13AP20), non-coding RNA
>gi|93204855|ref|NR_003024.1| Homo sapiens eukaryotic translation initiation factor 3, subunit I pseudogene 1 (EIF3IP1), non-coding RNA
>gi|222831626|ref|NR_026740.1| Homo sapiens placenta-specific 9 pseudogene (LOC389033), non-coding RNA

I want to write a code to extract the string inside parantheses in each line. The difficulty is some of the lines how more than two strings inside parantheses (i.e. line 3) In such cases, I only want to extract the string inside the second paranthesis. My output should look like:

Code:
PCDHB18
KRTAP20-4
MRS2P2
RPL13AP20
EIF3IP1
LOC389033

How do I go about doing this? Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a sub string from a main string

i need a shell program to extract a substring from a main string.. for eg:- main string is madhu.. sub string is mad o/p:- be mad. try to solve this one (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu.it
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in a file and extract another string to a variable

Hi, guys. I have one question: I need to search for a string in a file, and then extract another string from the file and assign it to a variable. For example: the contents of the file (group) is below: ... ftp:x:23: mail:x:34 ... testing:x:2001 sales:x:2002 development:x:2003 ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a string within a string using a pattern

hi all, i have a file name using the following pattern: PREFIX: AR SOURCE: LEGACY DATETIME: YYYYMMDD_HH24MISS SUFFIX: .txt sample filename: AR_LEGACY_20101104_105500.txt i want to extract the source which is LEGACY in this case. how do i do this using shell? thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extract string from main string and string comparison

continuing from my previous post, whose link is given below as a reference https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 consider there is create table commands in a file for eg: CREATE TABLE `Blahblahblah` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a string between 2 ref string from a file

Hi, May i ask if someone share some command for extracting a string between 2 ref string in a txt file My objective: i had a file with multiple lines and wants only to extract the string "watch?v=IbkAXOmEHpY" or "watch?v=<11 random character>", when i used "grep 'watch?=*' i got a results per... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a string from another string in UNIX

I have a string string="Please have a nice day and sleep well Replace_12123_31233_32134_12342 Good day" How do i replace "Replace_12123_31233_32134_1234" in the above string.?? Please help. Regards, Qwerty (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search String and extract few lines under the searched string

Need Assistance in shell programming... I have a huge file which has multiple stations and i wanted to search particular station and extract few lines from it and the rest is not needed Bold letters are the stations . The whole file has multiple stations . Below example i wanted to search... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Search for a string and to extract the string from the text

Hi Team I have an huge xml where i need to search for a ceratin numbers. For example 2014-05-06 15:15:41,498 INFO WebContainer : 10 CommonServicesLogs - CleansingTriggerService.invokeCleansingService Entered PUBSUB NOTIFY MESSAGE () - <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kannannair
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract every repeated string between two specific string?

Hello guys, I have problem with hpux shell script. I have one big text file that contains like SOH bla bla bla bla bla bla ETX SOH bla bla bla ETX SOH bla bla bla ETX What I need to do is save first SOH*BLA into file1.txt, save second SOH*BLA into file2.txt and so on.... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: sembii
17 Replies

10. Programming

Replace comma which is not inside brackets,quotes or paranthesis

Hi All, I want to replace the commas which are not inside parenthesis,quotes if input is abc,,lm,(no,pq,rs),{tu,vw,xy},zs,"as,as,fr",'ab,cd,ef' output should be abc lm (no,pq,rs) {tu,vw,xy} zs "as,as,fr" 'ab,cd,ef' I tried this str.replaceAll("\\(.*?\\)|(,)", " "); say my string... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: preethy
3 Replies
FBB::mlm(3bobcat)                                             OFoldStream manipulator                                            FBB::mlm(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::mlm - Manipulator modifying left margins of OFoldStream objects SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/ofoldstream> or #include <bobcat/ofoldstreambuf> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
The mlm class implements a manipulator that can be inserted into OFoldStream objects to modify the stream's left margin by a requested amount. The request cannot result in a negative left margin value. If a negative left margin would be the arithmetic result of the request then left margin 0 will silently be used. Depending on the tab-setting of the OFoldStream the inserted value represents the number of blank space characters or the number of tab-characters that will be added to the left margin. The request will be processed at the next newline character or std::flush or std::endl manipulator that is inserted into the stream. If a line is still empty once an mlm object and a flush manipulator are inserted into the stream then the new left margin will be effective at the next word inserted into that line (cf., the example section below) A bad_cast exception is thrown when the manipulator is inserted into an ostream that is not using a OFoldStreambuf buffer. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
- CONSTRUCTOR
o mlm(int addValue): The standard copy constructor is available. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
There are no public or protected member functions in this class. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <bobcat/ofoldstream> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { OFoldStream out(cout, 0, 80); out << "hello world (left margin is 0)" << mlm(4) << " " "this uses a 4 character wide left margin " << mlm(-10) << flush << "left margin -6 changed to 0, active on this line "; return 0; } FILES
bobcat/mlm - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), manipulators(3bobcat), lm(3bobcat), ofoldstream(3bobcat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)