Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Considered basic but advanced outcome (Custom Backup Solution) Post 302774659 by coastdweller on Saturday 2nd of March 2013 09:49:26 PM
Old 03-02-2013
You show us a script, but you don't say what its name is. its a script called manually: backup.sh (If it is uvsh and you have multiple copies of this script running at the same time The multiple instances of uvsh appear from running the script, but I'm unsure of its relation nor should it happen? I am unsure , it is no wonder that you're having problems.)

If uvsh is something else and it is accessing your database while you suspend, validate, backup, and release it by running this script; that probably isn't good either. I unload the database which should close it to be tar'd based on eclipse's recommendation

What type of system are you using? What type of shell is /bin/sh on your system? (Is it a Bourne shell, a Korn shell, a Bash shell, or what?)
Redhat, bash, is that an ok answer?

When you watch this script run, what messages do you see (and does that tell you what portion of the script is running slowly)?
The script messages seem to function normally and in the past created a 15gb archive of the required back'd up folders, now it is not and I'm stumped

I have very limited basic skills in bash scripting.

I appreciate your reply and hope I've been able to follow up here with answers to your questions.

---------- Post updated at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:52 PM ----------

What I'm confused about is the concept here is to:

Unload the universe JBOSS database so all tables are closed etc.

Then tar up and transfer the archive based on the day/week/month (A rotation).

The script causes a process (uvsh) to run multiple times and the saving of the archive goes to an absolute crawl. The main part of this script is a simple log rotation example.

---------- Post updated at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:55 PM ----------

You can see the process is a gzip but I'm not understanding why uvsh is being called multiple times when the script runs?

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 03-03-2013 at 03:44 AM.. Reason: Removed non-responsive image

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

enterprise backup solution

We are using sun_sparc solaris 2.5.1 with oracle database 8.0.5 We are considering to buy for buying backup software for this purpose . Our systems integrator says veritas could not be installed due to some technical reasons (they are veritas authorised dealer) . And is suggesting Netvault... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitesh Shah
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Sun and backup solution

My company is in the process of building a new datacenter and I am responsible for setting up the backup environment (everything from racking to implementation). I guess it is pretty basic but I don't have much experience with the initial setup. What we have so far is a SunV890 (backup server), Sun... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jshwon
1 Replies

3. AIX

Backup solution

Hello, I'm looking for a backup solution for my system. I have 3 AIX virtual partitions running on a IBM p5 server. Each partition has it's data on a DS4700 storage server. Also, I have a RedHat running on an IBM p720. This server has the tape hardware. I would like to know if I can backup from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: enzote
4 Replies

4. AIX

Offsite Backup Solution

I'm looking for a program or some way to backup my server to another location onto another server. Does anyone have any ideas? What utility, server O/S(I would like to use Linux RH or CentOS)? Whats the best way to do this? I am fairly new with Unix. Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITAdmin08
6 Replies

5. Red Hat

RHEL 5 basic vs advanced

Hello there to the community Question 1 : how can you tell if the RHEL 5 version you have is BASIC or ADVANCED. ? Question 2 : except for virtualization limits on BASIC RHEL which is 2 physical CPUs and 4 virtual guest (redhat virtualization , not VMWARE) and Advanced allows unlimited CPU and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplinux
4 Replies

6. Linux

Backup solution

Hi all, i am not sure whether i selected the right topic or not, so excuse me, well i am mainly a Windows admin, but i do *NIX administration from time to time, for now i need to use an open source solution for backup windows environment mainly, i spent last days playing with bacula and backupPC,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup solution using rsync

Hello All, I am looking at a fast way to script some backups. I am looking at using rsync to do the leg work. I am having a hard time conceiving a script though. I have a tree with subfolders within subfolders. I was looking at the /xd option to parse the tree. Directory of k:\ ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvamos
4 Replies
BF_TAR(1)						    Bogofilter Reference Manual 						 BF_TAR(1)

NAME
bf_tar - shell script to write a tar file of a bogofilter directory to stdout SYNOPSIS
bf_tar [-r] [-R] bogofilter_directory DESCRIPTION
bf_tar bundles a bogofilter working directory in tar format and copies it to standard output (your console, or where you redirect it, see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The -r option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files after the archive has been written successfully. The default is to leave log files. The -R option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files before the archive is written. This may reduce chances that the resulting archive is recoverable should it become damaged. The archive may be smaller though. The default is to leave log files. EXIT STATUS
The script exits with status code 0 if everything went well, and nonzero if it encountered trouble. EXAMPLES
o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter > outfile.tar Writes a standard .tar file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar. o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter | gzip -9 -c > outfile.tar.gz Writes a gzipped .tar.gz file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar.gz. o bf_tar `pwd`/mydirectory > outfile.tar Prepend $(pwd)/ or `pwd`/ if you want to specify an absolute path instead of a relative path. NOTES
This script is meant for use with Berkeley DB based bogofilter versions. This script requires a SUSv2 compliant pax utility. This script expects a SUSv2 compliant shell. Solaris systems should have the SUNWxcu4 package installed (when bogofilter is configured) so that /usr/xpg4/bin/sh can be used. AUTHORS
Matthias Andree Bogofilter 10/22/2012 BF_TAR(1)