Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to use pipe operator as simple character in text file? Post 302774561 by bakunin on Saturday 2nd of March 2013 12:04:07 PM
Old 03-02-2013
To be honest i don't understand what you intend the sed's to do. What they actually do is to reduce the file to its first line. A "head -1" would do the same, no?

Further, there is a problem when you try to expand variables which contain blanks, because blanks are special to the shell: they separate "fields", individual parts of the input line. I will show this in an example, which actually happened in a shipped version of AIX (see the full story here):

First a word of caution: create a separate directory for this to try it out, you will see why.

Suppose you want to redirect the output of a process to a file and you want to be flexible about it, so you put it into a variable: instead of

Code:
command > file

you write in your script:

Code:
destination="file"
command > "$destination"

This will work perfectly and as expected. (When you try this replace "command" with any UNIX command - "ls -l" will do, for instance.) But now suppose you want to include the error channel in your redirect too and you do it this way:

Code:
destination="file 2>&1"
command > "$destination"

What will happen? For the shell, the content of "$destination" is one word and it will redirect only the <stdout> - [i]but to a file named "file 2>&1". (This is why i told you to create a separate directory for this - you can easily remove this directory instead of having to find out how to delete files with special characters.)

How this might function? There are two possible solutions: first, create your variables so that the blanks are outside:

Code:
dest_out="file"
dest_err="&1"
command > "$dest_out" 2>"$dest_err"

Second possibility: use "eval". The reason why the shell has problems is that it parses the lines in a fixed procedure. When variables are expanded, they are all expanded together and no second pass is given to them (this is why it isn't possible to have a variable point to another variable with "normal" means). But "eval" restarts this evaluation process and this makes the shell "reconsider" the line with the now expanded blanks in it:

Code:
destination="file 2>&1"
eval command > "$destination"

Btw.: you should really REALLY stay away from the backticks. They are only supported for backwards compatibility reasons and their use is discouraged. Only use the subshell "$(...)".

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Wall, Write, select users, pipe a text file, HELP Before I'm Bald!

OK... I'm fairly new to unix having the admin handed to me on a platter w/almost no training. However, being a programmer, I do pick up things fairly easily, but this one is getting the best of me. I have a unix server that runs multiple versions of the same ERP system, hand crafted for our... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chimodel
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem working with Pipe Delimited Text file

Hello all: I have a following textfile data with name inst1.txt HDR|ABCD|10-13-2008 to 10-19-2008.txt|10-19-2008|XYZ DTL|H|5464-1|0|02-02-2008|02-03-2008||||F||||||||| DTL|D|5464-1|1|02-02-2008|02-03-2008|1||JJJ DTL|D|5464-1|2|02-02-2008|02-03-2008|1||JJJ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi0435
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing a field in pipe delimited TEXT File

Hi, I want to replace a field in a text delimited file with the actual number of records in the same file. HDR|ABCD|10-13-2008 to 10-19-2008.txt|10-19-2008|XYZ DTL|0|5464-1|0|02-02-2008|02-03-2008||||F||||||||| DTL|1|5464-1|1|02-02-2008|02-03-2008|1||JJJ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi0435
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe text from a file into an array

Hi Guys I have a question about filling up an array I have a file called USER_FILE.txt it contains the following: Real Name:Thomas A Username:THOMAS_A Real Name:Thomas B Username:THOMAS_B Real Name:Thomas C Username:THOMAS_C Real Name:Thomas D Username:THOMAS_D Real Name:Thomas E... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: grahambo2005
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I use a pipe operator in a variable: OPTION="| command"?

I have a string of commands I am piping some data through and I want to allow command line switches to select which commands are used. I want to do something like this: OPTION="| command3" command1 -a -b c.txt | command2 -d -e $OPTION >result.txt I want to do it that way because OPTION may be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KenJackson
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read the text file and print the content character by character..

hello all i request you to give the solution for the following problem.. I want read the text file.and print the contents character by character..like if the text file contains google means..i want to print g go goo goog googl google like this Using unix Shell scripting... without using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samupnl
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with pipe operator

hi i am having issues with extra pipe. i have a data file and i need to remove the extra pipe in the(example 4th and 7thline) in datafile. there are many other line and filed like this which i need to remove from files. The sample data is below: 270 31|455004|24/03/2010|0001235|72 271... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_n123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script Help...search then read from file: change text and pipe back...

Hello, I am trying to make a bash script that can pull data from a file and then change one part of said data. I want to search by username and pull the full line. That way there is a way to replace just one part of that line then return it back to the file. My Data is stored like: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: serverfull
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Insert values in multiple lines(records) within a pipe delimited text file in specific cols

this is Korn shell unix. The scenario is I have a pipe delimited text file which needs to be customized. say for example,I have a pipe delimited text file with 15 columns(| delimited) and 200 rows. currently the 11th and 12th column has null values for all the records(there are other null columns... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasan2815
4 Replies

10. Linux

How to run commands with pipe from text file?

Hello, I have standard loop while read -r info; do command $info done < info in info text file I have multiple commands each on line that I want to execute. When I used them in console they worked, but not with this loop. This is one of the commands in info file: grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adamlevine
4 Replies