Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SEA configuration
Operating Systems AIX SEA configuration Post 302774505 by hedou on Saturday 2nd of March 2013 08:03:30 AM
Old 03-02-2013
SEA configuration

i want configure a SEA over my vios ,
i have a message error :
Code:
Method error (/usr/lib/methods/cfgsea):                                         
Failed to configure SEA with return code 1 and SEA-specific error code 10:      
Detailed info: Setting real adapter ent1 in promiscuous mode failed with error 1

Since it is an IVE logical port, it is likely that this VIOS needs to be configured as the IVE physical port's promiscuous logical partition

Command did not complete.

"Run mkdev" was last subcommand run.
please help me

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: even if you didn't say it this is clearly AIX. I am going to transfer this thread over to the AIX board. Please note too, that we really meant it when we asked you to use CODE-tags. Thanks

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

sea application in SUSE

We are using sea application in SUSE linux 10, we are getting the below problem while launching the SEA Sea is stopped with the message ' sh: /home/pub/bin/awk: cannot execute binary file' in the log window. Anybody can help me in this issue Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
1 Replies

2. AIX

VIOS SEA Creation

Hi Guys, I'm getting the below error while trying to create a SEA adapter in VIOS $ mkvdev -sea ent0 -vadapter ent2 -default ent2 -defaultid 1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkeng808
4 Replies

3. AIX

SEA

Hi all, I set up the following configuration on my system: - An LPar with a virtual adapter, first one with a vlan id=703 and id port=13. - The first adapter have to connect to a VIOS in which i configured an SEA. So, the VA is set up on interface ent2, SEA on ent29 (by linking a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: idro
0 Replies

4. AIX

VIO SEA Adapters

hi guys BTW pretty new to VIO I inherited 2 I BM Power Server - blades PS701 - One is already configured using en8 # lsdev -Cc adapter | grep ent ent0 Available Logical Host Ethernet Port (lp-hea) ent1 Available Logical Host Ethernet Port (lp-hea) ent2 Available 04-20... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
8 Replies

5. AIX

SEA to standby

hello, what will happen if i try to move sea of my 1 vio server to standby( using chdev command), when sea of other vio server is already in standby mode? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amvineeth
1 Replies

6. AIX

PowerVM SEA etherchannel performance ?

Hello, POWER7 machine. 4 x 1Gbit port ethernet adapter is dedicated to vios. 8023ad etherchannel is created using those 4 ports. Etherchannel adapter is shared to lpars using SEA. If I test network performance directly from vios partition (using iperf) I'm geting nice 4Gbit throughput. But if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
3 Replies
pfconfig(8c)															      pfconfig(8c)

Name
       pfconfig - configure packet filter parameters

Syntax
       /usr/etc/pfconfig [ +/-p[romisc] ] [ +/-c[opyall] ] [ -b[acklog] nnn ] [ -a[ll] ] [interface-name ...]

Description
       The command allows the system manager to configure certain parameters of the packet filter driver (see These parameters are configured sep-
       arately for each interface; the interfaces are specified by name on the command line (for example, and If more than one interface is speci-
       fied,  they are all given the same settings.  Alternatively, you can specify -all to configure all the packet-filter interfaces on the sys-
       tem.

You can set the following parameters with

+promisc  Allows packet filter users to set the interface into promiscuous mode (receives all packets).	Whenever there	is  at	least  one
		 packet filter descriptor open with the ENPROMISC mode bit set, the interface is put into promiscuous mode.  When no such descrip-
		 tors are in use, the interface is returned to normal mode.

-promisc  The interface is no longer put into promiscuous mode on behalf of packet filter users; if the interface is  in  promiscuous  mode
		 when  this  command  is given, it is returned to normal mode.	(The superuser may use to control promiscuous mode, overriding the
		 mode set by non-superusers.  This is the default setting.)

+copyall  Allows packet filter users to set the interface into copy-all mode (receives packets sent/received by the kernel-resident  proto-
		 col  software	[for  example,	IP, ARP, DECnet, LAT] on this host).  Whenever there is at least one packet filter descriptor open
		 with the ENCOPYALL mode bit set, the interface is put into copy-all mode.  When no such descriptors are in use, the interface	is
		 returned to normal mode.

-copyall  The  interface  is  no  longer put into copy-all mode on behalf of packet filter users; if the interface is in copy-all mode when
		 this command is given, it is returned to normal mode.	(The superuser may use to control copy-all mode, overriding the  mode  set
		 by non-superusers.  This is the default setting.)

-backlog nnn
		 Sets  the  maximum  backlog  (packet  filter  input  queue length) for non-superuser descriptors to the specified number.  When a
		 descriptor is opened, it is given a queue length limit of two. An application can increase this backlog using the EIOCSETW  ioctl
		 request.   Superusers	are  allowed to increase their backlog up to a system-wide maximum; non-superusers are allowed to increase
		 their backlog only up to the maximum set by this program.  Note that allowing too large a backlog may result in vast  amounts	of
		 kernel memory being tied up in the packet filter driver queues.

If no configuration parameters are specified, the command displays the current packet filter configuration for the network interface(s).

Only the superuser may use this command to change the configuration.

Examples
       On a system used for network monitoring, one might put this line into
       /usr/etc/pfconfig -a +promisc -backlog 64
       This  allows  users to run promiscuous network monitoring applications, with a maximum input queue length per application of 64 packets, on
       any interface in the system.
       /usr/etc/pfconfig -a +promisc +copyall -backlog 64
       This allows promiscuous network monitoring applications to monitor communications to or from the local host, as well as	the  rest  of  the
       local network.

Diagnostics
       Messages  indicating  the specified interface do not exist; an attempt to set a maximum backlog less than 1 or greater than the system-wide
       maximum; the user tried to alter an interface's configuration but is not privileged.

See Also
       netstat(1), intro(4n), packetfilter(4), ifconfig(8c), rc(8)

pfconfig(8c)