Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Remote execution of a local script on multiple servers Post 302774281 by os2mac on Friday 1st of March 2013 01:48:14 PM
Old 03-01-2013
This is exactly what I am attempting to do, the problem is when I use
Code:
$hostname

the variable is populated with the hostname of the server running the script not the remote system.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Automatic execution of commands in multiple servers using single script.

Hi, I've to do a simple job many times whenever it has been asked, just i've to log in to all of fourtien HP servers and i've to execute ps -fu user > temp cat temp|sendmail "xyz@z.com" commands to send the statics of all of 14 servers over the mail to particular user id.. Though logging... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickramshetty
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running the same remote script on multiple servers

Experts, Im trying to remote into a server, run a script that resides on that server and capture the information displayed & store in a local file. I struggled with this yesterday & finally that script is working now. Now, here is a scope creep and the script that I wrote for 1 remote... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: OMLEELA
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prevent wrong user from using shell script for multiple remote servers

Hi, I am running a shell script from a central server to multiple remote servers using the following code: application_check() { # Linux/UNIX box with ssh key based login SERVERS=`cat /tmp/server-details` # SSH User name USR="user" # create new file > /tmp/abc.log # connect... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mystition
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Move folders from Multiple remote Servers to my local computer

I have 20 Servers (They are Windows 2003) that I remote every day using names or IP address and type in my username & Password then copy folders manually to my local computer. I'm wondering if i can just run script(s) from my local computer to do this job without using FTP(because of security... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: idiazza
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Local script to trigger multiple remote scripts

Hi All, I am facing problem running a script which triggers another script in multiple remote servers. my script in my local server looks like below ssh server1 "sudo -u uname /usr/local/script/start.sh &2>&1 >/dev/null " ssh server2 "sudo -u uname /usr/local/script/start.sh &2>&1 >/dev/null "... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sain
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To run a local shell script in a remote machine by passing arguments to the local shell script

I need to run a local shell script on a remote machine. I am able to achieve that by executing the command > ssh -qtt user@host < test.sh However, when I try to pass arguments to test.sh it fails. Any pointers would be appreciated. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execution of local commands for remote site.

Hi all, I have a problem with ftp execution within unix environment. I'd like to get files on remote and delete them later, but here is too crowd so I can accidentally delete some files. Can I delete only the files I can get to the local folder? I can ask this question with a different... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: attillam
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote login and running a script on multiple servers

Hi all, I am baffled on this. Solaris Irix system.:confused: I have 4 servers all connected to one another, :b: I need to write a script line that would login on to server 1-3 ($HOST) start a script in the back ground and log off while the back ground script runs over a length of time.:eek: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: weddy
10 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Parallel execution on multiple servers in UNIX

I have a requirement (in a shell script) to connect to several servers at once and execute a series of commands. I am aware that ssh can be used for sequential execution. But since most of the commands that I need to execute take a long time, I have to go for the parallel option. Is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sneha1887
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep remote multiple hosts output to local server

Hello all, i'm trying to create a report by greping a pattern on multiple remote hosts and creta a simple report, actually i did this, is ther any better way to do this. #!/bin/bash for host in `cat RemoteHosts` do ssh $host -C 'hostname 2>&1; grep ERROR /var/log/WebServer.log.2019-09-21... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
0 Replies
sleep(1)						      General Commands Manual							  sleep(1)

NAME
sleep - Suspends execution for at least the specified time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: sleep: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None OPERANDS
Non-negative integer specifying the number of seconds for which execution is to be suspended. DESCRIPTION
The sleep command suspends execution of a process for at least the interval specified by seconds, which can range from 0 to 2,147,483,647 seconds. Depending on system activity, the actual time of suspension may be longer. See the sleep(3) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] seconds can be entered as a non-negative decimal, octal, or hexadecimal value. NOTES
If sleep receives a SIGALARM signal before process execution has resumed, sleep takes one of the following actions: Terminates normally with a 0 (zero) exit status. (See the sleep(3) reference page for more information.) Ignores the signal Performs default processing EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Execution was successfully suspended for at least the requested time, or a SIGALARM signal was received. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To display a message at 4-minute intervals for 20 minutes, create a shell script called remind containing the following: for i do sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i done To display the message Try calling NHK at 4-minute intervals, enter: remind 'Try calling NHK' To run a command at regular intervals, create a shell script containing the following: while true do date sleep 60 done This displays the date and time once a minute. To execute a command after a specified interval, enter the following; (sleep 3600; echo Time's up) & This displays the message "Time's up" after one hour. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of sleep: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: wait(1) Functions: alarm(3), pause(3), sigaction(2), sleep(3) Standards: standards(5) sleep(1)