Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: OSX bash & expect
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting OSX bash & expect Post 302773817 by jnojr on Thursday 28th of February 2013 05:53:02 PM
Old 02-28-2013
Unfortunately, what I'm doing is more of an "on demand" type of thing. If I absolutely had to, I could use a cron job, but that's a last resort.

In any case, someone in another thread gave me the hint that pushed me over the edge...

Code:
  ssh $host ls /etc/cma.conf >/dev/null 2>&1
  if [ "$?" -eq 0 ]; then
    if [ -f /tmp/hbss.sh ]; then rm -f /tmp/hbss.sh; fi
cat >/tmp/hbss.sh <<EOF
#!/bin/bash
ssh -tt $host sudo grep CMABuildNumber /etc/cma.conf <<EOS
$SUDOPASS
EOS
EOF
    chmod 755 /tmp/hbss.sh
    HBSSVER=`/tmp/hbss.sh | grep CMABuildNumber | cut -d'>' -f2 | cut -d'<' -f1`
    #if [ -f /tmp/hbss.sh ]; then rm -f /tmp/hbss.sh; fi
  fi

It is a lot uglier than I'd like, but it works.

Ahh, the mysteries of bash!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Upgrading bash on Darwin (osx)

Hi, I have installed bash 3.2 via darwin ports, however when I try and change the shell i.e. chsh -s /opt/local/bin/bash is says its a non-standard shell? but if i run ./bash i get a new bash prompt with version 3.2? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

#!/bin/bash and #1bin/sh command not found error on mac osx terminal/shell script

i am having a weird error on mac os x running some shell scripts. i am a complete newbie at this and this question concerns 2 scripts. one of which a friend of mine wrote (videochecker.sh) a couple weeks ago and it's been running fine on another machine. then last week i wrote capture.sh and it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danpaluska
2 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

bash script for dseditgroups in OSX

Hi there, Hope this isn't too complex of a script to try to make but this is what I'm trying to do. Create a new group and add local users that aren't admin to the group. So let's say the new group is 'cats' and 'dog' is the only admin on the machine. Let's say most machines only have one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stop.the.stupid
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH Script is sticking, & sign not doing what I would expect

I am having an issue where I am do an SSH to about 30 servers one at a time however my script is getting hung up sometimes on the SSH. I thought the & at the end as seen below would fire it and move on but that does not seem to be working. #!/bin/s for remsys in trumpetsnail angel delphin... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

expect in bash script

Hi, I'm writing a shell script that calls a few commands that prompt the user for two simple yes/no questions. if the answers are consistent (the first is a yes, the second is a no), what would my expect script look like? Google is only giving me answers for scripts where I telnet or ssh. right now... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: js741
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

open application with spaces in name [bash][OSX]

Hi guys, I'm new here and new to shell scripting so don't be hard on me I'm trying to create a bash script to restart a process by name in Mac OSX. I have no problem killing the application, the problem comes when launching it again. I managed to store the path in a variable lets say ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonathanwiesel
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] BASH - chaining TEST and COMMAND with && and II

Can you explain what this line of script is doing. What I have understood is : -- variable C is the name of a software which is either not installed, so it must be installed or allready installed and then should be update if newer version found -- branch B="$B $C" is to install the software --... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

OSX, bash, cat with <<MARKER executing commands

I have a script that writes another script with cat >/usr/local/bin/myscript.sh <<EOF #!/bin/sh VAR=`run a command here` EOF Problem is, after this is run, I get: $ cat /usr/local/bin/myscript.sh #!/bin/sh VAR=result of command How do I stop that from happening with Macs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automated scp using shell & expect

Hi All, I have written a script to automate scp of files. Most of the times it works fine except few cases. I want your help and suggestions to fix these failures. I have used expect & shell to do the automated scp. Below is code $ cat scp.ksh #!/bin/ksh inputfile=$1 fdest_sid=$2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bash script + expect

im very happy to back for this forum I have servers with alias of double dns extentions: sample: servera.test.com servera.test1.com serverb.test.com serverb.test1.com I need to login to that severs and executing the set of commands if test.com failed then try to login via... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash0106
0 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)