Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem getting vertical bar with British keyboard layout on US (physical) keyboard Post 302773795 by DGPickett on Thursday 28th of February 2013 04:58:47 PM
Old 02-28-2013
I just got a nice, compact but full, wireless, usb keyboard, logitech k360, $20 at BB I think, and I love it. There are so many number-intensive tasks, the laptop was a pain before.

Back to the original problem, I think you can set up ~/.X* files to freeze your key map back to the physical: http://madduck.net/docs/extending-xkb/

Last edited by DGPickett; 02-28-2013 at 06:08 PM..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

Keyboard Layout

ok, I am having a seriouse problem! I can not wite in my landguidge, I live in sweden but I seem to have an american keyboard layout so I cant write some letters and all the key commands are all messed up. Does anyone know where I can find a swedisch keyboard layout? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kimm
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Keyboard layout

Hi, How do i go about changing the keyboard layout to the UK layout. currently the @ symbol on the keyboard appears as a " sybol on the monitor. Many Thanks in advance Kam (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishnura
1 Replies

3. Linux

Changing default keyboard layout in Linux

Hi I have Fedora linux with XFCE desktop. I want to use Indic lanquage in that. I have installed unicode devnagri fonts. But I am not able to change my default keyboard layout. How can I change default keyboard layout in XFCE or through command line. Thanks NeeleshG (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: neel.gurjar
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Unable to change keyboard layout

After Solaris 10 installation I was unable to change keyboard using known commands kbd -s and eeprom keyboard layoit. Also modifinig /boot/solaris/bootenv.rc did not helped. And is possible to replace Solaris keymap with ubuntu keymap because my keyboard work perfectly under Ubuntu and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: microbot
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Unable to change keyboard layout

Hi to everyone Once again I tried to modify my keyboard , because I am crazy keyborad can not be changed using kbd-s eeprom also I tried to modify /boot/solaris/bootenv.rc but I tried opensolaris and my keyboard works perfectly So my question is Can I transfer settings from... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
14 Replies

6. Hardware

Keyboard layout based on scancodes?

I would like to make a new keyboard layout that moves the modifier keys around. The problem is that this needs to be an xkb layout, because I still need to be able to switch to the Qwerty layout and the layout of my native language. Is there a way to write an xkb layout that works on the keycodes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotancohen
2 Replies
XkbUpdateMapFromCore(3) 					   XKB FUNCTIONS					   XkbUpdateMapFromCore(3)

NAME
XkbUpdateMapFromCore - Update a local Xkb keyboard map to reflect the mapping expressed by a core format mapping SYNOPSIS
Bool XkbUpdateMapFromCore ( xkb, first_key, num_keys, map_width, core_keysyms, changes ) XkbDescPtr xkb; KeyCode first_key; int num_keys; int map_width; KeySym * core_keysyms; XkbChangesPtr changes; ARGUMENTS
- xkb keyboard description to update - first_key keycode of first key description to update - num_keys number of key descriptions to update - map_width width of core protocol keymap - core_keysyms symbols in core protocol keymap - changes backfilled with changes made to Xkb DESCRIPTION
Xkb provides several functions that make it easier to apply the compatibility map to configure a client-side Xkb keyboard mapping, given a core protocol representation of part or all of a keyboard mapping. Obtain a core protocol representation of a keyboard mapping from an actual server (by using XGetKeyboardMapping, for example), a data file, or some other source. XkbUpdateMapFromCore interprets input argument information representing a keyboard map in core format to update the Xkb keyboard descrip- tion passed in xkb. Only a portion of the Xkb map is updated - the portion corresponding to keys with keycodes in the range first_key through first_key + num_keys - 1. If XkbUpdateMapFromCore is being called in response to a MappingNotify event, first_key and num_keys are reported in the MappingNotify event. core_keysyms contains the keysyms corresponding to the keycode range being updated, in core keyboard description order. map_width is the number of keysyms per key in core_keysyms. Thus, the first map_width entries in core_keysyms are for the key with keycode first_key, the next map_width entries are for key first_key + 1, and so on. In addition to modifying the Xkb keyboard mapping in xkb, XkbUpdateMapFromCore backfills the changes structure whose address is passed in changes to indicate the modifications that were made. You may then use changes in subsequent calls such as XkbSetMap, to propagate the local modifications to a server. SEE ALSO
XkbSetMap(3) X Version 11 libX11 1.2.1 XkbUpdateMapFromCore(3)