Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX & TAR related stuff
Operating Systems AIX AIX & TAR related stuff Post 302773709 by filosophizer on Thursday 28th of February 2013 03:06:58 PM
Old 02-28-2013
10. Tar and ZIP the directory in one command

Code:
# tar cvf -  /oracle | gzip > /backup/oracle_backup.tgz
or
# tar cvf - /oracle | gzip > /oracle.tar.gz

If you are using GNU tar , you can say instead:
# tar cvzf oracle.tar.gz /oracle

v enables verbose out and is not necessary for the command to function. 
'f' states that the output is to go to a file that then is set to '-' 
(stdout) making tar write its output to stdout which is the default behavior without both 'f' and '-'.
# tar c /oracle | gzip > oracle.tar.gz

11. unTar and uncompress unZIP the directory in one command

Code:
gunzip < /backup/oracle_backup.tgz | tar -xvf -

OR
gunzip < /oracle/abc.tar.gz | tar xvf -

bzip2 < /oracle/abc.tar.bz2 | tar xvf -

12. Removing leading `/' from member names
sometimes
Code:
tar -cvf -  /oracle | gzip > /backup/oracle_backup.tgz
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names

which means:
1. warning message to tell you that it is writing a tar file without absolute paths.
This is because you cannot then relocate the data at a later date when you un-archive the file.
2. tar takes relative paths. The file paths in a tar archive are stored as relative paths for a good reason.
It gives you more flexibility about where to restore files. You may want to restore files into another location.
The relative path makes this possible.

See more here:
1. http://javarevisited.blogspot.com/20...x-example.html
2. http://shellscriptclub.blogspot.com/...mands-for.html
3. http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/using/tar

Last edited by filosophizer; 09-19-2013 at 07:25 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & tar execution problem

I'm trying to set up a stanard sh script that will find all the files that have been changed within the last day and then tar them up. I think the command line should be something like : find /home/bob -atime +0 -exec \ tar cvf /home/bob/files.tar {}\; Help please ... Thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianf
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/hd* ?? & HTFS .... What is this stuff?

# grep "Jul 3" syslog.messages | more Jul 3 00:16:03 www3 CPU3: NOTICE: HTFS: No space on dev hd (1/42) Jul 3 00:16:08 www3 CPU3: NOTICE: HTFS: No space on dev hd (1/42) Jul 3 00:17:01 www3 CPU2: NOTICE: HTFS: No space on dev hd (1/42) Jul 3 00:17:06 www3 syslogd: /usr/adm/debug: No space... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cameron
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disaster recover w/tar & find

Hi, I am creating a disaster recovery plan for my Linux 7.2 machine. I have two backups from my current machine. One created using the command tar -cvpf /dev/st0 --exclude=/proc --directory / . and one created with the command find / /boot /home -mount -path '/proc' -prune -o -print |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeremiebarber
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar & Grep together

Hi, I've got dozens of tar's with two files in each one, live_access_log & live_error_log (one tar for each day, backups). The probelm is i need to match a pattern in all of the archive_access_log files and output the line to a seperate file (All_access.log). I.e. I need to get details... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: tom123
21 Replies

5. Solaris

Tar & Tape drive without media

Hi all, I would like to know what would happen if the tape (media) is not placed on the drive and a tar command is executed to backup on the tape. My problem is that tar command hanged for multiple days instead of throwing the error, Is it valid behaviour? I was unable to test the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmsathish
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare 2 files & get only few columns based on a condition related to both files?

Hiiiii friends I have 2 files which contains huge data & few lines of it are as shown below File1: b.dat(which has 21 columns) SSR 1976 8 12 13 10 44.00 39.0700 70.7800 7.0 0 0.00 0 2.78 0.00 0.00 0 0.00 2.78 0 NULL ISC 1976 8 12 22 32 37.39 36.2942 70.7338... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Few things related to HBA port & fcinfo command

Hi Gurus I need to know few things related to HBA port & fcinfo command I have a server where there are 4 HBA ports cards are their. Out of 4 ports 2 are in use & 2 are not in use when I check it physicall. Now I want to know the command through which I can get information about all above... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
6 Replies

8. AIX

How to upgrade AIX Firmware & TL Maintenance Level in AIX

Steps to upgrade AIX TL ( technology Level ) / Maintenance Level in AIX ( including Firmware HMC VIOS ) This article or post covers upgrades for - Hardware Management Console ( HMC ) - Firmware ( also known as microcode ) - VIO ( Virtual I/O Server = PowerVM ) - AIX Version, Technology... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with tar & zip only last months(say,Sep) files

Need to 1. archive all the files in a directory from the previous month into a tar/gz file, ignoring all already archived 'tar.gz' files 2. Check created .tar.gz file isnt corrupted and has all the required files in it. and then remove the original files. I am using a function to get the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prev
1 Replies

10. AIX

GNU TAR vs NATIVE AIX TAR

Hello, Getting this very strange error, made tar/zip through gnu tar GNU Tar ( successful tar and zip without any errors ) /opt/freeware/bin/tar cvf - /oraapp| gzip > /backup/bkp_15_6_16_oraapp.tgz GNU unTar error root@test8:/>gunzip < /config1/bkp_15_6_16_oraapp.tgz |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies
BF_TAR(1)						    Bogofilter Reference Manual 						 BF_TAR(1)

NAME
bf_tar - shell script to write a tar file of a bogofilter directory to stdout SYNOPSIS
bf_tar [-r] [-R] bogofilter_directory DESCRIPTION
bf_tar bundles a bogofilter working directory in tar format and copies it to standard output (your console, or where you redirect it, see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The -r option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files after the archive has been written successfully. The default is to leave log files. The -R option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files before the archive is written. This may reduce chances that the resulting archive is recoverable should it become damaged. The archive may be smaller though. The default is to leave log files. EXIT STATUS
The script exits with status code 0 if everything went well, and nonzero if it encountered trouble. EXAMPLES
o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter > outfile.tar Writes a standard .tar file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar. o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter | gzip -9 -c > outfile.tar.gz Writes a gzipped .tar.gz file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar.gz. o bf_tar `pwd`/mydirectory > outfile.tar Prepend $(pwd)/ or `pwd`/ if you want to specify an absolute path instead of a relative path. NOTES
This script is meant for use with Berkeley DB based bogofilter versions. This script requires a SUSv2 compliant pax utility. This script expects a SUSv2 compliant shell. Solaris systems should have the SUNWxcu4 package installed (when bogofilter is configured) so that /usr/xpg4/bin/sh can be used. AUTHORS
Matthias Andree Bogofilter 03/15/2010 BF_TAR(1)