Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Why doesn't motd show up when I su to root? Post 302773645 by vbe on Thursday 28th of February 2013 11:49:43 AM
Old 02-28-2013
I created one for fun on my prefered server: and it shows up...

On this HP server it is called in /etc/profile ...
Code:
   # This is to meet legal requirements...

cat /etc/copyright

# Message of the day

if [ -r /etc/motd ]
        then
                cat /etc/motd
        fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

My sig doesn't show

Is there an issue with it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spetnik
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing old motd with new motd

I need to replace the current /etc/motd text file with a new motd across 30+ servers. Which is the best way to do this? Shell script? sed? Does anyone have an example I can use? Thanks in advance. Unix people are the best!!! :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: antalexi
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Have htdocs/site/ show up at root

I have a site, www.mySite.com I have a folder where pages are served from, htdocs/ I have a folder containing one site at htdocs/drupal/. I'd like to be able to go to www.mySite.com and see the index.php page within the drupal folder, but instead I see a directory listing: drupal phpBB3 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumakuma
9 Replies

4. Solaris

Non-Root mode ... luxadm to show path(s) for Disks

Hi Gurus out there... I am pondering over a situation where I have non-root access (user account), where I am trying to determine paths (including multipaths) on a host. "luxadm display" seems very appropriate, but requires root access. Is there anyway I can get the FC path information? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: verisund
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

Traceroute doesn't show gateway as hop

I have a Linux server connected to the Internet like so: Server (66.77.88.130) -> /29 VLAN Gateway (66.77.88.129) -> Core Router (64.0.0.1) -> Internet If I run a traceroute from my server to an arbitrary site on the internet I get a result like this: # traceroute some-other-server... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramnet
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Command Doesn't Show Description

im making c code in linux and im having problems with one command, id should bring up a list but instead id doesnt do nothing, there are no error's, can anyone solve whats wrong ? void environ() { extern char **environ; int i=0; for (i = 0; environ !=NULL;i++) { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: figureout
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compiling VIM, doesn't show menu and toolbar.

I'm trying to compile vim73 with the Motif Toolkit. ./configure --enable-gui=motif make ./src/vim -g Vim runs in a window, without the standard toolbar and menu bar. I tried to recompile with ./configure --enable-gui=gnome2It compiled with GTK2 toolkit, but still no menubar, nor toolbar.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
0 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Grub Doesn't show menu

Hi guys. I have installed Acronis disk director in windows XP and allocate some free space to install Debian beside fedora. after completion i rebooted and now grub is in command line mode and does not show the menu list. (I didn't remove the fedora partition. I just allocate some space from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

sendmail doesn't work for root

I've created a Perl daemon that needs to send an email when an error/shutdown occurs. I use the Perl Email::Valid module and that uses sendmail. When I run the script as a regular user, the email is sent with no issues. When I run the script as the root user, I get the following message in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OldManEd
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounted to mac, doesn't show DIR contents on first 'ls'

Hi, I have a cronjob that mounts machines every 15 minutes. sudo mount -t cifs -o username=Ren_user,password=AIB#1109$,nounix,bg,sec=ntlmssp //10.204.129.233/Desktop /mnt/clinical/234mac When I open a new shell and ls /mnt/clinical/234macto the mount point it is blank, but when I do the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
7 Replies
PAM_MOTD(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						       PAM_MOTD(8)

NAME
pam_motd - Display the motd file SYNOPSIS
pam_motd.so [motd=/path/filename] DESCRIPTION
pam_motd is a PAM module that can be used to display arbitrary motd (message of the day) files after a successful login. By default the /etc/motd file is shown. The message size is limited to 64KB. OPTIONS
motd=/path/filename The /path/filename file is displayed as message of the day. noupdate Don't run the scripts in /etc/update-motd.d to refresh the motd file. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the session module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_IGNORE This is the only return value of this module. EXAMPLES
The suggested usage for /etc/pam.d/login is: session optional pam_motd.so motd=/etc/motd SEE ALSO
motd(5), pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7), update-motd(5) AUTHOR
pam_motd was written by Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>. Linux-PAM Manual 09/19/2013 PAM_MOTD(8)