Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading file from remote host? Post 302773625 by jnojr on Thursday 28th of February 2013 10:53:06 AM
Old 02-28-2013
Because that will echo the value I want to stout, which doesn't do me any good... the value needs to be available to the script to echo out later. Every other value, which does not require root access, is loaded into a variable. There may be some other mechanism that can accomplish the same end, so I don't want to be fixated on variables.

ETA: You got me steered in the right direction, though! I wound up with:

Code:
  ssh $host ls /etc/cma.conf >/dev/null 2>&1
  if [ "$?" -eq 0 ]; then
    if [ -f /tmp/hbss.sh ]; then rm -f /tmp/hbss.sh; fi
cat >/tmp/hbss.sh <<EOF
#!/bin/bash
ssh -tt $host sudo grep CMABuildNumber /etc/cma.conf <<EOS
$SUDOPASS
EOS
EOF
    chmod 755 /tmp/hbss.sh
    HBSSVER=`/tmp/hbss.sh | grep CMABuildNumber | cut -d'>' -f2 | cut -d'<' -f1`
    #if [ -f /tmp/hbss.sh ]; then rm -f /tmp/hbss.sh; fi
  fi

It's messy and kludgy, but it works!

Last edited by jnojr; 02-28-2013 at 12:15 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to delete the files from local host to remote host

Hi all, i am copying .gz files from production server to development server using "scp" command.my requirement is after copying .gz files i want to delete old .gz files(two days back) in development server from production server. like this way i need to delelte .log ,.z and .dmp files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna176
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from Remote Host

Hi I have a different architecture for my perl application. I have apache one server and data on another(not database). i need to read the data from other machine and that too securely. Also opening ports on apache machine is also restricted. Can anyone help me on this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya_IT
2 Replies

3. Solaris

define .rhost file for tape backup to remote host

howdy experts, i am using 2 server- Solaris 5.9 i have tape device attached with 1 of my solaris server. But others not. # modinfo|grep tape 152 13d43e4 1333c 33 1 st (SCSI tape Driver 1.231) now i want to Backup DATA file and System File in Tape Drive. How do I take data and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

running commands to remote host from centralized host

Gurus/Experts We have a centralized UNIX/Solaris server from where we can actually ssh to all other UNIX/Solaris servers...I need to write a script that reside on this centerlized server and do FileSystem monitoring (basically run df -h or -k) of other remote servers and then send an email to me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjum.suri
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help! How to find the local host after few ssh hops to remote host???

I do a ssh to remote host(A1) from local host(L1). I then ssh to another remote(A2) from A1. When I do a who -m from A2, I see the "connected from" as "A1". => who -m userid pts/2 2010-03-27 08:47 (A1) I want to identify who is the local host who initiated the connection to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Polling for existence of file on remote host

I am polling a file on remote host. I have this code that works, but can't explain why it works. while user@remote.no-exist.com 'ls /user/app1/.done'` ] do echo Sleeping for 5 secs sleep 5; done This code works in the way that when the .done file exists on the remote host, the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: starlatch
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to execute the file in remote host using except utility

I am automating the SFTP keys setp process: So i created the expect script for controlling the output of shell below is my main code: #!/usr/bin/expect set fd set password close $fd set df set app close $df spawn ssh servername << pb Pb file: set df set app close $df (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manoj Bajpai
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pause processes in remote host and resume execution in another remote host

Hi, Given addresses of 2 remote machines, using a shell script is it possible to get the state of running processes in "src" stop all the processes in "src" exit out of "src" ssh into "dest" resume the state of executing processes captured in step 1 in "dest" Assumption: "src" is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saeya Darsan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check/get the exit status of a remote command executed on remote host through script

Geeks, Could you please help me out in my script and identify the missing piece. I need to check/get the exit status of a remote command executed on remote host through script and send out an email when process/processes is/are not running on any/all server(s). Here's the complete... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

SFTP file check through a remote host

Hi all, posting my first time, hope not breaking posting rules with it, if yes, let me know. I'm trying to build a script to check a file in an sftp server through a remote server. The intention is to check the file in a sftp host, and if the file is found or not, it should send an email.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrShinyPants
4 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)