Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Kind of reverse engineering
Operating Systems Linux Kind of reverse engineering Post 302773491 by nidal on Thursday 28th of February 2013 04:58:42 AM
Old 02-28-2013
Code Kind of reverse engineering

Hi everyone,
I'm a linux novice , in a training purpose i have to reconstruct under windows an application running under fedora 14, the application communicates with an STB device through RS232 in a first time and then through ethernet for firmware loading purpose.
All what i know is how to run the application then it shows some informations as "plug the RS232 connecter, restart the STB... " then if done it proceed to send files through RS232 then it reboot the device then it loads other files through ethernet
What i need is to interpret how it communicates with the device, what commands it sends to the device and what it recieves so i can develop my own application in windows, a sort of reverse engineering.

Can you guys help me please?

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Performance engineering concepts

Hello, I would like get idea about performance enginering from basic to advanced level. Do anyone know a place where i can find some videos related to performance engineering ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sampling and Binning- Engineering problem

Hi everyone! Can you please help me with some shell scripting? I have an input file input.txt It has 3 columns (Time, Event, Value) Time event Value 03:38:22 A 57 03:38:23 A 56 03:38:24 B 24 03:38:25 C 51 03:38:26 B 7 03:38:26 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Needhelp2
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, shell script reverse engineering app generator - project

Hi, this is fantastic forum for shell programming and scripting, so please let me to introduce you with my very old concept to have web form/s with radio, select, input fields and have an application generating valid, syntax error free scripting code. The same or alike questions are asked... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darius2
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Legacy Ultra60 with Solaris 5.7 SCSI device reverse engineering

I'm looking for help with a legacy system. I have some obsolete equipment connected to an Ultra 60 running Solaris 5.7 with the binary for a 32 bit driver. The driver is rejected by newer versions of solaris, which run 64 bit kernels. I hope to reverse engineer the driver so that I can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: obsoleteStuff
0 Replies
UTMPDUMP(1)						       System Administration						       UTMPDUMP(1)

NAME
utmpdump - dump UTMP and WTMP files in raw format SYNOPSIS
utmpdump [-frh] [ filename ] DESCRIPTION
utmpdump is a simple program to dump UTMP and WTMP files in raw format, so they can be examined. utmpdump eads from stdin unless a file- name is passed. OPTIONS
-f, --follow Output appended data as the file grows. -r, --reverse Undump, write back edited login information into utmp or wtmp files. -h, --help Print a help text and exit. -V, --version Output version information and exit. NOTES
utmpdump can be useful in cases of corrupted utmp or wtmp entries. It can dump out utmp/wtmp to an ASCII file, then that file can be edited to remove bogus entries and reintegrated, using utmpdump -r < ascii_file > wtmp but be warned as utmpdump was written for debugging purpose only. BUGS
You may not use the option -r as the format for the utmp/wtmp files strongly depends on the input format. This tool was not written for normal use but for debugging. AUTHOR
Michael Krapp SEE ALSO
last(1), w(1), who(1), utmp(5) AVAILABILITY
The utmpdump command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux July 2012 UTMPDUMP(1)