Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Fork Function Failed on 4GB ? Post 302773331 by DGPickett on Wednesday 27th of February 2013 05:04:23 PM
Old 02-27-2013
/tmp if swap is full. If you keep adding processes or they keep mallocing vm, swao gets exhausted. It can be hard to pinpoint or cure. You can see vm size on 'ps-el'.
This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to use function fork() in Windows NT

Hello, I need to make a gateway from Ethernet to RS-485. I am using stream socket, and I am programming in windows nt. I would like to know how could I use some functions from unix in windows nt. I would like to use the function fork(). Which library it uses and how can I get it? Can I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danieljorge
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Endless loop - Fork function failed?

I need a quick script that will serve as a sort of "real time monitor" for watching some log files. I am using Bourne shell in HP-UX 10.20. I have basically created a script that never ends, unless of course I manually terminate it. Here's the script (it's called qhistory): clear echo "REAL... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork function

hi everyone, have this little piece of code in order to help you understand my question #include<stdio.h> #include<unistd.h> int main() { int i, pid; pid = fork(); if(pid<0) { fprintf(stderr, "fork failed\n"); _exit(1); } if(pid==0) { printf("in Child\n");... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
4 Replies

4. AIX

fiber with 4GB

Hi, It's my first time I will use a 4BG fiber with two ports on one card. I used only one port 2GB before. What will be the drivers I need to install on my AIX5.3? Is the two ports going to be just one line? Or I can use the other ports on another connection. Thanks in advance, itik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

spliting 4gb files to 4*1 gb each

I have log file whose size is 4 GB , i would like to split it to 1 gb each ,Can any one tell me the syntax of csplit comand for that. I am using Sun0S 5.8 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
3 Replies

6. IP Networking

4GB Dual Port HBA

I have one 4GB, dual port HBA. Is each port rated for 4GB, or is it the whole HBA rated for 4GB? Also, how do I determine which is port0 / port1 with "lscfg -vl fcs0" command. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwholey
0 Replies

7. SCO

-sh: fork failed - too many processes in sco unix 5.0.5

Dear experts, I have done a re-installation of sco unix openserver 5.0.5 and managed to create users. The problem am facing is that of one user logging in more than 5 times. How can i overcome this problem. the system give the error below. -sh: fork failed - too many processes in sco unix... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: njoroge
5 Replies

8. IP Networking

The system function gethostbyname() failed to find the client's host name

As we are facing issue with this server connection. The error is: The system function gethostbyname() failed to find the client's host name. how can i check if the server "server1" is able to resolve the client hostname (hosts / dns)? i can ping the client from server. any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jinslick25
1 Replies

9. Programming

Fork thread, Assertion failed. X11.

Hi all. I wrote a program with the Motif Widget Toolkit. It has a button and a scrollbar. When the user hits the button the callback creates a new fork() thread. The new thread sleeps for a while and then changes the position of the scrollbar. It does this in an endless loop. I need the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

32 bit process addressing more than 4GB

Hello for all, I am testing the behavior of a 32 bit application running on Solaris 5.10 (SPARC), and realize it reaches 4GB of memory and then crashes. It doesn't matter the amount of used memory as application is intended to perform many transactions; rather, what I want to achieve is to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leito7824
2 Replies
plimit(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         plimit(1)

NAME
plimit - get or set the resource limits of running processes SYNOPSIS
plimit [-km] pid... plimit {-cdfnstv} soft,hard... pid... DESCRIPTION
If one or more of the cdfnstv options is specified, plimit sets the soft (current) limit and/or the hard (maximum) limit of the indicated resource(s) in the processes identified by the process-ID list, pid. Otherwise plimit reports the resource limits of the processes identi- fied by the process-ID list, pid. Only the owner of a process or the super-user is permitted either to get or to set the resource limits of a process. Only the super-user can increase the hard limit. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -k On output, show file sizes in kilobytes (1024 bytes) rather than in 512-byte blocks. -m On output, show file and memory sizes in megabytes (1024*1024 bytes). The remainder of the options are used to change specified resource limits. They each accept an argument of the form: soft,hard where soft specifies the soft (current) limit and hard specifies the hard (maximum) limit. If the hard limit is not specified, the comma may be omitted. If the soft limit is an empty string, only the hard limit is set. Each limit is either the literal string unlimited, or a number, with an optional scaling factor, as follows: nk n kilobytes nm n megabytes (minutes for CPU time) nh n hours (for CPU time only) mm:ss minutes and seconds (for CPU time only) The soft limit cannot exceed the hard limit. -c soft,hard Set core file size limits (default unit is 512-byte blocks). -d soft,hard Set data segment (heap) size limits (default unit is kilobytes). -f soft,hard Set file size limits (default unit is 512-byte blocks). -n soft,hard Set file descriptor limits (no default unit). -s soft,hard Set stack segment size limits (default unit is kilobytes). -t soft,hard Set CPU time limits (default unit is seconds). -v soft,hard Set virtual memory size limits (default unit is kilobytes). OPERANDS
The following operands are supported. pid Process ID list. EXIT STATUS
plimit returns the exit value zero on success, non-zero on failure (such as no such process, permission denied, or invalid option). FILES
/proc/pid/* process information and control files ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ulimit(1), proc(1), getrlimit(2), setrlimit(2), proc(4), attributes(5), SunOS 5.10 8 Jun 1998 plimit(1)