Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Fork Function Failed on 4GB ? Post 302773323 by bakunin on Wednesday 27th of February 2013 04:41:14 PM
Old 02-27-2013
Your system has absolutely all available memory (including swap) exhausted. Which process is the culprit is everybodies guess. I suppose you have some memory-leak there.

The only option is: if you can, shut down Oracle, which will free some memory and then try to immediately power-cycle the system. If this is not possible your only option is to power-cycle it the hard way. AIX fileystems can usually cope with this and if you do it at a time where DB activity is minimal the risk for the database is small. A bit of redo-log gymnastics is usually all it takes to recover.

I remember having had such a problem once, which was a version incompatibility between some Oracle component and the AIX version (5.2 ML1, IIRC). After updating to a fitting set of versions the problem was gone never to come back.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to use function fork() in Windows NT

Hello, I need to make a gateway from Ethernet to RS-485. I am using stream socket, and I am programming in windows nt. I would like to know how could I use some functions from unix in windows nt. I would like to use the function fork(). Which library it uses and how can I get it? Can I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danieljorge
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Endless loop - Fork function failed?

I need a quick script that will serve as a sort of "real time monitor" for watching some log files. I am using Bourne shell in HP-UX 10.20. I have basically created a script that never ends, unless of course I manually terminate it. Here's the script (it's called qhistory): clear echo "REAL... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork function

hi everyone, have this little piece of code in order to help you understand my question #include<stdio.h> #include<unistd.h> int main() { int i, pid; pid = fork(); if(pid<0) { fprintf(stderr, "fork failed\n"); _exit(1); } if(pid==0) { printf("in Child\n");... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
4 Replies

4. AIX

fiber with 4GB

Hi, It's my first time I will use a 4BG fiber with two ports on one card. I used only one port 2GB before. What will be the drivers I need to install on my AIX5.3? Is the two ports going to be just one line? Or I can use the other ports on another connection. Thanks in advance, itik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

spliting 4gb files to 4*1 gb each

I have log file whose size is 4 GB , i would like to split it to 1 gb each ,Can any one tell me the syntax of csplit comand for that. I am using Sun0S 5.8 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
3 Replies

6. IP Networking

4GB Dual Port HBA

I have one 4GB, dual port HBA. Is each port rated for 4GB, or is it the whole HBA rated for 4GB? Also, how do I determine which is port0 / port1 with "lscfg -vl fcs0" command. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwholey
0 Replies

7. SCO

-sh: fork failed - too many processes in sco unix 5.0.5

Dear experts, I have done a re-installation of sco unix openserver 5.0.5 and managed to create users. The problem am facing is that of one user logging in more than 5 times. How can i overcome this problem. the system give the error below. -sh: fork failed - too many processes in sco unix... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: njoroge
5 Replies

8. IP Networking

The system function gethostbyname() failed to find the client's host name

As we are facing issue with this server connection. The error is: The system function gethostbyname() failed to find the client's host name. how can i check if the server "server1" is able to resolve the client hostname (hosts / dns)? i can ping the client from server. any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jinslick25
1 Replies

9. Programming

Fork thread, Assertion failed. X11.

Hi all. I wrote a program with the Motif Widget Toolkit. It has a button and a scrollbar. When the user hits the button the callback creates a new fork() thread. The new thread sleeps for a while and then changes the position of the scrollbar. It does this in an endless loop. I need the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

32 bit process addressing more than 4GB

Hello for all, I am testing the behavior of a 32 bit application running on Solaris 5.10 (SPARC), and realize it reaches 4GB of memory and then crashes. It doesn't matter the amount of used memory as application is intended to perform many transactions; rather, what I want to achieve is to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leito7824
2 Replies
POWERTOP(8)							  powertop manual						       POWERTOP(8)

NAME
powertop - a power consumption and power management diagnosis tool. SYNOPSIS
powertop [ options ] DESCRIPTION
powertop is a program that helps to diagnose various issues with power consumption and power management. It also has an interactive mode allowing one to experiment with various power management settings. When invoking powertop without arguments powertop starts in interactive mode. OPTIONS
--calibrate runs powertop in calibration mode. When running on battery, powertop can track power consumption as well as system activity. When there are enough measurements, powertop can start to report power estimates. One can get more accurate estimates by using this option to enable a calibration cycle. This will cycle through various display levels and USB device activities and workloads. --csv[=FILENAME] generate a CSV report. If a filename is not specified then the default name "powertop.csv" is used. The CSV report can be used for reporting and data analysis. --debug run in "debug" mode. --extech=devnode use the Extech Power Analyzer for measurements. This allows one to specify the serial device node of the serial to USB adaptor con- necting to the Extech Power Analyzer, for example /dev/ttyUSB0. --help show the help message. --html[=FILENAME] generate an HTML report. If a filename is not specified then the default name "powertop.html" is used. The HTML report can be sent to others to help diagnose power issues. --iteration[=iterations] number of times to run each test. --workload[=workload] file to execute for workload. --quiet supress stderr output. --time[=seconds] generate a report for a specified number of seconds. --version print version information and exit. BUGS
Send bug reports to <powertop@lists.01.org> SEE ALSO
The program is more fully described at https://01.org/powertop AUTHOR
powertop was written by Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com>, and is currently maintained by Chris E Ferron <chris.e.fer- ron@linux.intel.com>. Linux June 1, 2012 POWERTOP(8)