Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Two columns-Common records - 20 files Post 302773263 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 27th of February 2013 03:14:48 PM
Old 02-27-2013
awk -f jac.awk file1 file2 ... fileN
jac.awk:
Code:
FNR==1 {argc=(argc)?argc+1:2}
{v[$1];a[argc,$1]=$2}
END {
  for( i in v) {
    printf i
    for(j=2;j<=argc;j++) {
      idx=j SUBSEP i
      printf("%c%s",OFS,(idx in a)?a[idx]:OFS)
    }
    printf ORS
  }
}

Last edited by vgersh99; 02-27-2013 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: empty cell if a value is not present in a file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Comparing the common columns of a table in two files

Hi, I have two text files.The first and the 2nd file have data in the same format For e.g. The first file has BOOKS COUNT: 40 BOOKS AUTHOR1 SUM:1018 MAX:47 MIN:1 AVG:25.45 BOOKS AUTHOR3 SUM:181 MAX:48 MIN:3 AVG:18.1 Note:Read it as Table columnname sum(column) max(column) min(column)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Common records using AWK

Hi, To be honest, I am really impressed and amazed at the pace I find solutions for un-solved coding mysteries in this forum. I have a file like this input1.txt x y z 1 2 3 a b c 4 -3 7 k l m n 0 p 1 2 a b c 4 input2 x y z 9 0 -1 a b c 0 6 9 k l m 8 o p 1 2 a f x 9 Output... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Common records after matching on different columns

Hi, I have the following files. cat 1.txt cat 2.txt output.txt The logic is as follows.... (10 Replies)
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Common records

Hi, I have the following files, A M 2 3 B E 4 5 C I 5 6 D O 4 5 A M 3 4 B E 5 2 F U 7 9 J K 2 3 OUTPUT A M 2 3 3 4 B E 4 5 5 2 thanks in advance, (7 Replies)
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 files having different number of columns and records

Hi , My requirement is to Compare 2 files having different number of columns and records and get the ouptut containing all the non-matching records from File A(with all column values ) .Example data below : File A contains following : Aishvarya |1234... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishvarya.singh
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple files, identify common records and combine unique values into one file

Good morning all, I have a problem that is one step beyond a standard awk compare. I would like to compare three files which have several thousand records against a fourth file. All of them have a value in each row that is identical, and one value in each of those rows which may be duplicated... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nashton
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Common values in 2 columns in 2 files

Hello, Suppose I have these 2 tab delimited files, where the second column in first file contains matching values from first column of the second file, I would like to get an output like this: File A 1 A 2 B 3 C File B A Apple C Cinnabon B Banana I would like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mohamed EL Hadi
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge selective columns from files based on common key

Hi, I am trying to selectively merge two files based on keys reported in the 1st column. File1: #file1-header1 file1-header2 111 qwe rtz uio 198 asd fgh jkl 165 yxc 789 poi uzt rew 89 lkj File2: #file2-header2 file2-header2 165 ghz nko2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dovah
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Comparing fastq files and outputting common records

I have two files: File_1: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCAGAAGCAGCAT + GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8F ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste columns based on common column: multiple files

Hi all, I've multiple files. In this case 5. Space separated columns. Each file has 12 columns. Each file has 300-400K lines. I want to get the output such that if a value in column 2 is present in all the files then get all the columns of that value and print it side by side. Desired output... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
15 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)