Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Odd results when my script runs from cron.. Post 302772667 by Marc G on Tuesday 26th of February 2013 11:27:54 AM
Old 02-26-2013
ok,

First, mirni...
That was my cut and paste error.
The shebang is:
#!/bin/ksh

I just missed it in the cut and paste.

Thanks for pointing that out though!
Marc

---------- Post updated at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:22 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
What caught my eye is top running for 6539 minutes i.e. 4,5 days? I guess the piped processes are not lingering but waiting for top to finish?
Yes, that would be an issue on a production box but we are beta testing the script on a test box as they're only considering allowing me to increase my duties.

What caught my eye is not only the continual run of the top, but the differences in how cron seems to be initiating the script.

Either it with a "sh -c" or it is straight out (as seen in the Feb 21 result)

My first thought is that the top is still running because one of the follow on commands manipulating top's output was encountering an issue. But I realized that would not make sense as top is already done before its output can be piped to the next command.

Then I began wondering if there is something that can gum up the pipe so top can't reach it?

Is that possible?

Marc

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What user runs cron?

I have a command that is found in /usr/ud51/bin called stopudt which safely stops idle database users (let's writes finish, etc). If I login as root and issue stopudt the process is stopped. I put a script in cron to run it and it says stopudt not found. /usr/ud51/bin is in root's PATH. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Old cron entry still runs, but shouldnt

Hello, I'm running OSF1 V4.0 alpha. We used to have a job running from the cron at 6am everyday. We have removed the job from the crontab file, but the job still runs at 6am everyday. The job was in the root's crontab file. I cant figure out why this job is still running after we removed it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
3 Replies

3. Solaris

SFTP errorcode 1 when run on cron but runs manually

I am trying to run a sript on cron to SFTP data to a company. Private and public keys are set up. When I run this manully it works fine, however it was failing when run on cron. I have narrowed down the problem - it fails at the code that says if the error code is 0 then continue . . . I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heidi.Ebbs
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs fine, but not in a cron

Okay, I have the following script that runs fine from a command line as well as an executable .sh file. It just moves any file/folder with movie* in the name to a folder called _Movies. The issue I'm running into is when it's call from a cron. find /mnt/HD_a2/BT/complete -iname "movie.*" -exec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sammyk
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON shell script only runs correctly on command line

Hi, I'm new to these forums, and I'm hoping that someone can solve this problem... To make things short: I have DD-wrt set up on a router. I'm trying to run a script in CRON that fetches the daily password from my database using SSH. CRON is set like so(in web interface): * * * *... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: louieaw
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script runs good manually but not through Cron tab

Hello Every one, I have a shell script which is running fine manually, but its giving me hard time when running tru cron job. :wall:. Am using #!/usr/bin/ksh >echo $SHELL /usr/bin/ksh Cron Job is as below, it execues but dosent do what i want it to do. 47 15 * * *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naren.chowdhary
1 Replies

7. AIX

Script runs in shell but not cron

We run some menu driven software that has the ability to batch menu paths and generate reports quickly. Normally you run a batch like: $ BATCH BATCHNAME The batch program then prompts you for the date you want the report run for. I got some help from some folks on IRC to do the following: BATCH... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: herot
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs in command-line fine but times out in CRON?

Hi, I have a script that seems to run to completion when in the command-line, but when it is run using the cron, it seems to time out. They both start and run fine, but on the CRON it stops prematurely. The script hits an API every few seconds and grabs data. Does anyone have any idea on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpchick
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron to run 3rd Tuesday of every odd months

Hi, I need to schedule a script to run on the 3rd tuesday of every odd months at 9 am. min, hour would be - 0 9 month would be - 1,3,5,7,9,11 Can someone suggest how I can schedule it to 3rd tuesday? Thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: member2014
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs manually, but not from cron

Hi, I "borrowed" a script I found online, to start a SAP router application on a Solaris 11 (SPARC) server. The script runs fine when calling it manually, but when I schedule it to run from cron, it doesn't. I don't see any warning or failure messages anywhere, just nothing happens. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bredman
11 Replies
pnmcut(1)						      General Commands Manual							 pnmcut(1)

NAME
pnmcut - cut a rectangle out of a portable anymap SYNOPSIS
pnmcut [-left leftcol] [-right rightcol] [-top toprow] [-bottom bottomrow] [-width width] [-height height] [-pad] [-verbose] [ left top width height ] [pnmfile] All options may be abbreviated to the shortest unique prefix. DESCRIPTION
Reads a PBM, PGM, or PPM image as input. Extracts the specified rectangle, and produces the same kind of image as output. There are two ways to specify the rectangle to cut: arguments and options. Options are easier to remember and read, more expressive, and allow you to use defaults. Arguments were the only way available before July 2000. If you use both options and arguments, the two specifications get mixed in an unspecified way. To use options, just code any mixture of the -left, -right, -top, -bottom, -width, and -height options. What you don't specify defaults. It is an error to overspecify, i.e. to specify all three of -left, -right, and -width or -top, -bottom, and -height. To use arguments, specify all four of the left, top, width, and height arguments. left and top have the same effect as specifying them as the argument of a -left or -top option, respectively. width and height have the same effect as specifying them as the argument of a -width or -height option, respectively, where they are positive. Where they are not positive, they have the same effect as specifying one less than the value as the argument to a -right or -bottom option, respectively. (E.g. width = 0 makes the cut go all the way to the right edge). Before July 2000, negative numbers were not allowed for width and height. Input is from Standard Input if you don't specify the input file pnmfile. Output is to Standard Output. OPTIONS
-left The column number of the leftmost column to be in the output. If a nonnegative number, it refers to columns numbered from 0 at the left, increasing to the right. If negative, it refers to columns numbered -1 at the right, decreasing to the left. -right The column number of the rightmost column to be in the output, numbered the same as for -left. -top The row number of the topmost row to be in the output. If a nonnegative number it refers to rows numbered from 0 at the top, increasing downward. If negative, it refers to columns numbered -1 at the bottom, decreasing upward. -bottom The row number of the bottom-most row to be in the output, numbered the same as for -top. -width The number of columns to be in the output. Must be positive. -height The number of rows to be in the output. Must be positive. -pad If the rectangle you specify is not entirely within the input image, pnmcut fails unless you also specify -pad. In that case, it pads the output with black up to the edges you specify. You can use this option if you need to have an image of certain dimensions and have an image of arbitrary dimensions. pnmpad can also fill an image out to a specified dimension, and gives you more explicit control over the padding. -verbose Print information about the processing to Standard Error. SEE ALSO
pnmcrop(1), pnmpad(1), pnmcat(1), pgmslice(1), pnm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 29 June 2000 pnmcut(1)