Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What is wrong with my code?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What is wrong with my code? Post 302772502 by Yoda on Monday 25th of February 2013 11:07:50 PM
Old 02-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewenwen
but what my original code output is actually
Code:

why is that?
That is because when you used $d you were actually assigning NULL to your array: myarray for 3 consecutive times.

This is the reason why it was printing NULL followed by number of occurrence: 3.
Code:
$ awk 'BEGIN{while("ls"|getline d) {myarray[$d]++}}; END{close("ls");for (i in myarray){print length(i), myarray[i]}}' /dev/null
0 3

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is wrong with this code?

Hello everyone, can somebody tell me what is wrong with this code: while true do java myTime > myTime.log sleep 60 done I get the following error: ./myTime: Syntax error at line 1 : `while' is not matched. Thanks in advance! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lem2003
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone review my code tell me where I am going wrong?

Started writing my code. my read input is not even asking nor working? And I get a EOF script error. echo "1) aragorn.domain.net" echo "2) marvel.domain.net" echo "3) athena.domain.net" echo "4) gandalf.domain.net" echo "5) griffin.domain.net" echo "What server would you like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrchcol
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's wrong with this code?

Hello all, Can someone tell me why I'm getting an error in the following code: export return_code="$?" if then echo "load_shaw.sas failed." exit else echo "Trigger the next script..." # /path/to/next/script fi I get an error... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmignot
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

whats wrong with this code

ls -ld | grep $1 /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f6 i need see the content... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadman123
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is wrong with this code

I just wanted to assign the filename to a variable filename="abc" datestrng=`date +%Y%m%d` filextn="txt" "LOCAL_FILE"${i}=${filename}"_"${datestrng}"."${filextn} echo "LOCAL_FILE"${i} I get the following error on 2nd last line ksh: LOCAL_FILE1=abc_20081114.txt: not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mqasim
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

whats wrong in my code

Code: #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use warnings; #Clears Screen $CLEAR=`clear`; print $CLEAR; i get the below error: Global symbol "$CLEAR" requires explicit package name at ./mutmg.pl line 6. Global symbol "$CLEAR" requires explicit package name at ./mutmg.pl line 7. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sophos
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's wrong with this code?

Trying to do a file count on files between a specific date. I entered the following command, but it's not working: find . -type f \( -newer startdate -a ! -newer enddate \) -exec "ls -l | wc -l" {} \; lil help? :D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong With This Code

Hi , iam new with sed command D:\bfx_db>sed -ne '/^SP2-*:/S/^\<.*\.*\>$/\2\p' reg.sql >>D:\out.log The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. Here my source file is reg.sql , i need the output in out.log Can anybody Help on this???? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhdmehraj
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's wrong with my bash code?

I want to let sleep 3 in the background and echo $i pkglists="a b c d e f g" f() { local i set -- $pkglists && ((i +=2)) && sleep 3 &;echo $i } f (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is wrong with my awk code?

Hi there, I am trying to select a number of lines based on the lat. lon columns in a file but my awk code gives me empty result. Here is my file: 20100213 102212 33.1185 39.4078 2.9 20100214 141753 33.1058 39.9068 2.9 20100218 115828 33.1907 39.3575 2.9 20100225 220001 33.1932 39.9448... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: johankor
10 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)