Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What is wrong with my code?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What is wrong with my code? Post 302772502 by Yoda on Monday 25th of February 2013 11:07:50 PM
Old 02-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewenwen
but what my original code output is actually
Code:

why is that?
That is because when you used $d you were actually assigning NULL to your array: myarray for 3 consecutive times.

This is the reason why it was printing NULL followed by number of occurrence: 3.
Code:
$ awk 'BEGIN{while("ls"|getline d) {myarray[$d]++}}; END{close("ls");for (i in myarray){print length(i), myarray[i]}}' /dev/null
0 3

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is wrong with this code?

Hello everyone, can somebody tell me what is wrong with this code: while true do java myTime > myTime.log sleep 60 done I get the following error: ./myTime: Syntax error at line 1 : `while' is not matched. Thanks in advance! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lem2003
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone review my code tell me where I am going wrong?

Started writing my code. my read input is not even asking nor working? And I get a EOF script error. echo "1) aragorn.domain.net" echo "2) marvel.domain.net" echo "3) athena.domain.net" echo "4) gandalf.domain.net" echo "5) griffin.domain.net" echo "What server would you like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrchcol
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's wrong with this code?

Hello all, Can someone tell me why I'm getting an error in the following code: export return_code="$?" if then echo "load_shaw.sas failed." exit else echo "Trigger the next script..." # /path/to/next/script fi I get an error... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmignot
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

whats wrong with this code

ls -ld | grep $1 /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f6 i need see the content... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadman123
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is wrong with this code

I just wanted to assign the filename to a variable filename="abc" datestrng=`date +%Y%m%d` filextn="txt" "LOCAL_FILE"${i}=${filename}"_"${datestrng}"."${filextn} echo "LOCAL_FILE"${i} I get the following error on 2nd last line ksh: LOCAL_FILE1=abc_20081114.txt: not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mqasim
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

whats wrong in my code

Code: #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use warnings; #Clears Screen $CLEAR=`clear`; print $CLEAR; i get the below error: Global symbol "$CLEAR" requires explicit package name at ./mutmg.pl line 6. Global symbol "$CLEAR" requires explicit package name at ./mutmg.pl line 7. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sophos
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's wrong with this code?

Trying to do a file count on files between a specific date. I entered the following command, but it's not working: find . -type f \( -newer startdate -a ! -newer enddate \) -exec "ls -l | wc -l" {} \; lil help? :D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong With This Code

Hi , iam new with sed command D:\bfx_db>sed -ne '/^SP2-*:/S/^\<.*\.*\>$/\2\p' reg.sql >>D:\out.log The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. Here my source file is reg.sql , i need the output in out.log Can anybody Help on this???? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhdmehraj
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's wrong with my bash code?

I want to let sleep 3 in the background and echo $i pkglists="a b c d e f g" f() { local i set -- $pkglists && ((i +=2)) && sleep 3 &;echo $i } f (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is wrong with my awk code?

Hi there, I am trying to select a number of lines based on the lat. lon columns in a file but my awk code gives me empty result. Here is my file: 20100213 102212 33.1185 39.4078 2.9 20100214 141753 33.1058 39.9068 2.9 20100218 115828 33.1907 39.3575 2.9 20100225 220001 33.1932 39.9448... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: johankor
10 Replies
COLORS(3)						   libbash colors Library Manual						 COLORS(3)

NAME
colors -- libbash library for setting tty colors. SYNOPSIS
colorSet <color> colorReset colorPrint [<indent>] <color> <text> colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> <text> DESCRIPTION
General colors is a collection of functions that make it very easy to put colored text on tty. The function list: colorSet Sets the color of the prints to the tty to COLOR colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal colorPrint Prints TEXT in the color COLOR indented by INDENT (without adding a newline) colorPrintN The same as colorPrint, but trailing newline is added Detailed interface description follows. Available colors: Green Red Yellow White The color parameter is non-case-sensitive (i.e. RED, red, ReD, and all the other forms are valid and are the same as Red). FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
colorSet <color> Sets the current printing color to color. colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal. colorPrint [<indent>] <color> Prints text using the color color indented by indent (without adding a newline). Parameters: <indent> The column to move to before start printing. This parameter is optional. If ommitted - start output from current cursor position. <color> The color to use. <color> The text to print. colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> The same as colorPrint, except a trailing newline is added. EXAMPLES
Printing a green 'Hello World' with a newline: Using colorSet: $ colorSet green $ echo 'Hello World' $ colorReset Using colorPrint: $ colorPrint 'Hello World'; echo Using colorPrintN: $ colorPrintN 'Hello World' AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux