Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cannot make pipe for process substitution: Too many open files Post 302772345 by CiCa on Monday 25th of February 2013 06:52:23 AM
Old 02-25-2013
Cannot make pipe for process substitution: Too many open files

Hi,

I've came across an issue with a script I've been writing to check DHCP addresses on an Solaris system, the script has been running reasonably well, until it hit the following problem:

Code:
./sub_mon_v2: redirection error: cannot duplicate fd: Too many open files
./sub_mon_v2: cannot make pipe for process substitution: Too many open files
./sub_mon_v2: line 45: <(echo $result | awk -F"/" '{print $1,$2,$3}'): ambiguous redirect

./sub_mon_v2: line 45: <(echo $result | awk -F"/" '{print $1,$2,$3}'): ambiguous redirect

I'm pretty sure this is down to scrappy coding (with me being the culprit - I'm still learning Smilie).

Is there anyone here that could maybe provide a few pointers as to how I can clean up the following function to try and fix the problem displayed above (I've higlighed what is almost certainly the problem line in bold):
Code:
check ()
{
        > $low_subs

# Following line creates the list of subnets to check (minus the exempt subnets).
        /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -vxFf <(egrep -v "#|^$" $exempt) $check_list > $final_list

while read line
        do
                while read result
                do
                        #Read each the date for each IP address in Day Month Year variables for checking
                        read month day year < <(echo $result | awk -F"/" '{print $1,$2,$3}')

# if it expired in a previous year, bin it
                        if [ $year -lt $curr_year ]
                        then
                                (( total_ip = total_ip +1 ))
                        fi

# if it expired in a previous month, bin it.
                        if [ $year -eq $curr_year ] && [ $month -lt $curr_month ]
                        then
                        fi

# if it expired earlier this month
                        if [ $year -eq $curr_year ] && [ $month -eq $curr_month ] && [ $day -lt $curr_day ]
                        then
                        fi

if [ $total_ip -le 20 ]
                        then
                                echo "Subnet "$line" running low on available IP's -"$total_ip" remaining." >> $low_subs;
                        fi

# Pass in date field of each line returned from pntadm -P (minus Free/Reserved addresses)
                done < <(pntadm -P $line | egrep -v "Client|$^|Zero|Forever" | awk '{print $5}')

# Pass in list of problem subnets
        done < $final_list
}

Thanks in advance
CiCa

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrao
6 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Open Files for a process

I am having a client/server application which will download files from server. If server has directories, it will create directories/sub directories and then download files. In this process, I observed that number of open files are more than 400 (which is approxmately same as number of dir/subdir... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satyam90
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make the parent process to wait for the child process

Hi All, I have two ksh script. 1st script calls the 2nd script and the second script calls an 'C' program. I want 1st script to wait until the 'C' program completes. I cant able to get the process id for the 'C' program (child process) to make the 1st script to wait for the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sennidurai
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance pls - pipe error: Too many open files in system

When I run a bash script in the customer system, it throws the warning and script exits Exec '/root/sample.sh' @ hostname-- OK (warn) /root/sample.sh: pipe error: Too many open files in system /root/sample.sh: n + : syntax error: operand expected (error token is " ") Exec... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidhyamirra
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

cannot set user id: Resource temporarily unavailable (not open file/open process related)

First post, sorry to be a bother but this one has been dogging me. I have a process user (java application server) that trips a resource limit every couple weeks and need help finding what limit we're hitting. First, this is what's running: This is the error when jobs are run or the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katahdin
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Make to batch process files

Hello all, I have a make question, and I was hoping somebody here might be able to point me in the right direction. Here is my issue; I have a command-line tool that I use to run a conversion on an input XML file that results in an output binary file. However, this particular tool needs to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jujumbura
1 Replies

7. Programming

Make: Bad Substitution

Hi, I have a make file which I try to execute, but it failed when it arrived to the line: for r in ${PIPESTATUS }; do if (($r != 0)); then exit $r; fi;done; With the Error: ""make:/bin/sh: Bad substitution"" Or the Error: "make:${PIPESTATUS[...}: Bad substitution" (Depend on the operating... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadne
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed returns different results while substitution on a pipe delimited file

Hi, Need help with a sed command that I am using to substitute 3 positions of a pipe delimited file. i am getting different results while substituting the same position of two different files with the same value. Please see details below: $ cat chk2 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vmenon
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment variable substitution in Linux make

I know that I can do this in bash ver=${VERSION:-$DEFVERSION} so ver is $VERSION if it's set but $DEFVERSION if $VERSION isn't set I want to do the same thing as a macro in a Makefile and can't get it to work - maybe something like... VER=$(shell ${$(VERSION):-$(DEFVERSION)}) Any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JerryHone
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Process to use open files

I would like to test open files usage in my system, if I want to create a process ( or script ) that can use a certain amount ( eg. 1000 ) of open files , is it possible to create such process ( or script ) ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
3 Replies