Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using variable in sed
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Using variable in sed Post 302772342 by mattiasvdm on Monday 25th of February 2013 06:38:06 AM
Old 02-25-2013
Still don't know exactly HOW it works (would like to), but it works fine! I found out that I can add as many lines to the variable as I want. It will insert all. Smilie

One last question:

At some point the somescript.sh will look like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#  somecript.sh

somecommand1

somecommand2
command3a
command3b
command3c
command4a
command4b
command4c
command5a
command5b
command5c
command6a
command6b
command6c
#End

exit

It would be cleaner if there was a white line between every command. I tried to change the variable:
Code:
read -d '' command <<EOF
command3a
command3b
command3c

EOF

But it just skips the white line. Is there a trick for this? Or should I change the sed command?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doing a sed on a variable help !

Hi, So what I'm trying to do is I have these variables and if they have a dot in them , I want everyting before and including the dot removed. Any ideas ? Something like this I would want : $var = $var | sed 's/.*\.//' but that does't work. I want to save that removal $var... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seaten
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed (variable)

HOw can I use any variable in sed command. For example I am using 'sed -e 's/?/$ORACLE_HOME/g' $file_name Here it replaces ? with $ORACLE_HOME. Instead of it I need actual value of $ORACLE_HOME. How can I do that? Please advice. Thanks in advance. Malay (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with a variable

Hi, My shell script searches a VALUE in a file, copies it to a variable and updates a line in another file with this new VALUE (replacing the old) The value has a pattern- VALUE=`$$MyDate=11-11-2008 09.09.56.123456` (yes the $ - . = and space are all part of the string) I am having... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngagemaniac
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using variable in sed

i need to use a value in the Variable to print a particular line from a file using sed command. i tried the below one but its is not working sed -n ' "$var"p ' abc.txt but its is not working please help me to sort out this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kochu77
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expand an environment variable in sed, when the variable contains a slash

I'm trying to make a sed substitution where the substitution pattern is an environment variable to be expanded, but the variable contains a "slash". sed -e 's/<HOME_DIRECTORY>/'$HOME'/'This gives me the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 21: unknown option to `s'Obviously this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with variable

Hi Friends in sed whether we can use variable.like the following expression. sed -i 's/ABC/$var/g' filename I am using Kernel 2.6.18-194.11.1.el5 RedHat linux. I have tried sed -i 's/ABC/"$var"/g' filename, still not working.:( Please help. Thanks in advance Joy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsjoy2u
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use the variable in sed?

version=git release=r8 echo lp-testsuite-git-r8.x86_64.rpm |sed -e "s/-$version-$release.*//g" I want to get lp-testsuite what's wrong with me ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)