Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Differences in IBM p server
Operating Systems AIX Differences in IBM p server Post 302772135 by MichaelFelt on Saturday 23rd of February 2013 11:52:29 AM
Old 02-23-2013
A short answer is:
speed and energy consumption.
Also, POWER7 supports SMT4 while POWER5 and POWER6 only support SMT2 (processor super scaling).
There are major architecular differences, but they are binary compatible (p 5 -> p6 -> p7).
Applications compiled using shared libraries usually work over hardware and AIX levels, but with static libraries you may have issues when changing AIX levels.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Sco 5.0.7 on ibm server, no floppy drive.

I cannot install sco on this particular ibm server because sco cannot find the raid controller and thefore the logical drive. I have a floppy disk that I use in other machines when boot: shows on the screen. I usually type restart link=ad320 and it works but this time i have no floppy drive. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iNetForce
1 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to install IBM db2 database server in cygwin ??

Hi folks, I am looking for a clue to install db2 in cygwin.....kindly help.;) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New OS for IBM server

I was recently given an older 1998 RS/6000 IBM machine supposedly called a Shark and once used by either an internet dial up or hosting company from what I understand. Regardless, in talking to the wife of the previous owner who died, and from what I understand, it hasn't been cleared of original... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: W.A.C
5 Replies

4. AIX

IBM AIX on IBM Eseries & x series server

Hi, I want to know whether IBM AIX can be installed on the IBM e series and x series server hardware? Thanks & Regards Arun (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun.Kakarla
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differences between 2 Flat Files and process the differences

Hi Hope you are having a great weeknd !! I had a question and need your expertise for this : I have 2 files File1 & File2(of same structure) which I need to compare on some columns. I need to find the values which are there in File2 but not in File 1 and put the Differences in another file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_8398
5 Replies

6. AIX

How to Login Bios Server IBM p series?

Hii guys, I have IBM server power series, how to login BIOS at server IBM Power7 750, 730, 720, 520 and 550 ? and if I will new Install AIX, How I config " First Boot DVD" ?? I use command " # mount -V cdrfs -o ro /dev/cd0 /mnt " ( not work after reboot system). I need your help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: williamen
2 Replies
X86_ENERGY_PERF_POLICY(8)				      System Manager's Manual					 X86_ENERGY_PERF_POLICY(8)

NAME
x86_energy_perf_policy - read or write MSR_IA32_ENERGY_PERF_BIAS SYNOPSIS
x86_energy_perf_policy [-c cpu] [-v] -r x86_energy_perf_policy [-c cpu] [-v] 'performance' x86_energy_perf_policy [-c cpu] [-v] 'normal' x86_energy_perf_policy [-c cpu] [-v] 'powersave' x86_energy_perf_policy [-c cpu] [-v] n DESCRIPTION
x86_energy_perf_policy allows software to convey its policy for the relative importance of performance versus energy savings to the proces- sor. The processor uses this information in model-specific ways when it must select trade-offs between performance and energy efficiency. This policy hint does not supersede Processor Performance states (P-states) or CPU Idle power states (C-states), but allows software to have influence where it would otherwise be unable to express a preference. For example, this setting may tell the hardware how aggressively or conservatively to control frequency in the "turbo range" above the explicitly OS-controlled P-state frequency range. It may also tell the hardware how aggressively is should enter the OS requested C- states. Support for this feature is indicated by CPUID.06H.ECX.bit3 per the Intel Architectures Software Developer's Manual. Options -c limits operation to a single CPU. The default is to operate on all CPUs. Note that MSR_IA32_ENERGY_PERF_BIAS is defined per logical processor, but that the initial implementations of the MSR were shared among all processors in each package. -v increases verbosity. By default x86_energy_perf_policy is silent. -r is for "read-only" mode - the unchanged state is read and displayed. performance Set a policy where performance is paramount. The processor will be unwilling to sacrifice any performance for the sake of energy saving. This is the hardware default. normal Set a policy with a normal balance between performance and energy efficiency. The processor will tolerate minor performance compro- mise for potentially significant energy savings. This reasonable default for most desktops and servers. powersave Set a policy where the processor can accept a measurable performance hit to maximize energy efficiency. n Set MSR_IA32_ENERGY_PERF_BIAS to the specified number. The range of valid numbers is 0-15, where 0 is maximum performance and 15 is max- imum energy efficiency. NOTES
x86_energy_perf_policy runs only as root. FILES
/dev/cpu/*/msr SEE ALSO
msr(4) AUTHORS
Written by Len Brown <len.brown@intel.com> X86_ENERGY_PERF_POLICY(8)