Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Command understanding the output file destination in case of standard output!!!!! Post 302772073 by DGPickett on Friday 22nd of February 2013 04:41:06 PM
Old 02-22-2013
In UNIX there is always a way:
Code:
$ echo >lf
$ cat lf >>lf
cat: Cannot use lf as both input and output.
$ cat lf | cat >> lf
$ wc lf
2 0 2 lf
$

Now if the file was longer, it would expand until space on the device was exhausted or it hit a file size limit. So be good. The SAs know where to find you! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I avoid the standard output from kill command

I am sending a kill comand to kill a process inside a SH script but I don`t want the user to notice it so I don´t want the message "1222 killed" to appear. I`ve tried to redirect the standard output to /dev/null 2>&1 and also tried to use "nohup" but none of them was succesfull. Can anyone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pguinal
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

file content to standard output from a script

hi folks how do i output contents of file in standard output. in my script, i say x=`cat filename' echo $x below is the actual file *********** asda afdf fdf sdf dsfsdfsd fds dsfdfsdfsdg ssgd sgdg sdfsdgfsdg dgfd gsfd gs sdg sfdg s in my script, i am trying to output the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryan
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed does not make changes in the file but to the standard output

I have an xml file. I am doing some change, say deleting line 770. File name is file.xml. I use: sed '770d' file.xml but this does not actually make changes in the *file* but shows the changes on standard output (screen) if i use $var=`sed '770d' file.xml` echo $var > file.xml this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indianjassi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command Output to Standard Input

Hi All, How do I provide the output of a command to another command which is waiting for an input from the user ? Ex : I need to login to a device via telnet. In the script, initially I use the "read" command to get the IP Address, Username and Password of the device from the user. Now,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sushant172
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding the output command

Could you please explain me whats happening in the below code, appreciate your help, Thank you. /product/apps/informatica/v7/pc/ExtProc/NewDAC/dacRecBuilder.sh /product/apps/informatica/v7/pc/TgtFiles/NEW_DAC/DAC_Pos_TradeInv_Records.out ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Standard output and standard error into spreadsheet

Hey, I'm completely new at this and I was wondering if there is a way that I would be able to redirect the log files in a directories standard output and standard error into and excel spreadsheet in anyway? Please remember don't use too advanced of terminology as I just started using shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: killaram
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How redirect standard output to a file

Hi guys, i have a script named purgeErrors.ksh, when i execute this script i need to redirect the output to a log file in the same directory, how can i do that ?? -- Aditya (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaditya
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command works from cmd line to standard output but will not write to file

Hi all .... vexing problem here ... I am using sed to replace some special characters in a .txt file: sed -e 's/_<ED>_/_355_/g;s/_<F3>_/_363_/g;s/_<E1>_/_341_/g' filename.txt This command replaces <ED> with í , <F3> with ó and <E1> with á. When I run the command to standard output, it works... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crumplecrap
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding nm command output

After running nm command on any object file from out put can we get to know that wheather a symbol is a call to a function or definition of function ? I am searching a class and function definitions inside many .so files. I have 3 files which contain the symbol but I don't know wheather they... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yatrik007
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert title as output of command to appended file if no output from command

I am using UNIX to create a script on our system. I have setup my commands to append their output to an outage file. However, some of the commands return no output and so I would like something to take their place. What I need The following command is placed at the prompt: TICLI... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
4 Replies
cat(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cat(1)

Name
       cat - concatenate and print data

Syntax
       cat [ -b ] [ -e ] [ -n ] [ -s ] [ -t ] [ -u ] [ -v ] file...

Description
       The  command reads each file in sequence and displays it on the standard output.  Therefore, to display the file on the standard output you
       type:
       cat file
       To concatenate two files and place the result on the third you type:
       cat file1 file2 > file3
       To concatenate two files and append them to a third you type:
       cat file1 file2 >> file3
       If no input file is given, or if a minus sign (-) is encountered as an argument, reads from the standard input file.  Output is buffered in
       1024-byte blocks unless the standard output is a terminal, in which case it is line buffered.  The utility supports the processing of 8-bit
       characters.

Options
       -b   Ignores blank lines and precedes each output line with its line number.

-e   Displays a dollar sign ($) at the end of each output line.

-n   Precedes all output lines (including blank lines) with line numbers.

-s   Squeezes adjacent blank lines from output and single spaces output.

-t   Displays non-printing characters (including tabs) in output.  In addition to those representations used with the -v  option,  all  tab
	    characters are displayed as ^I.

-u   Unbuffers output.

-v   Displays  non-printing  characters (excluding tabs and newline) as the ^x.	If the character is in the range octal 0177 to octal 0241,
	    it is displayed as M-x. The delete character (octal 0177) displays as ^?.  For example, is displayed as ^X.

See Also
       cp(1), ex(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1)

cat(1)