Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grepping large list of files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grepping large list of files Post 302771944 by angshuman on Friday 22nd of February 2013 08:47:51 AM
Old 02-22-2013
Grepping large list of files

Hi All,

I need help to know the exact command when I grep large list of files. Either using ls or find command. However I do not want to find in the subdirectories as the number of subdirectories are not fixed. How do I achieve that.

I want something like this:
Code:
find ./ -name "MYFILE*.txt" | wc -l  (excluding subdirectories).

I am using HPUnix.

Thanks
Angshuman

Last edited by vbe; 02-22-2013 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: code tags...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grepping lines out of files

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. I have a file with about 200 lines in it. I am wanting to set up a Count so that it picks out each line at turn and edits the line. However i am having trouble pulling out the specific line. I have a feeling it will be done somehow by a grep -n but what ever i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariner
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List large files

Hi I need to list all files in the system: 1. Greater than specific size 2. All files sorted by size How can I do that? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNMIKE
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grepping many values from same files

Hi All, I am having a script in which I am greping some values and storing them from files with .err and .log extensions. I feel I can do it better.But How? Below is my piece of code. oneerrors=`egrep -i -n "one" *.err *.log` twoerrors=`egrep -i -n "two" *.err *.log` ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreejith_VK
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to list large files

Looking for a line to show all of the large files on a unix server (over 300mb)... Having problems finding anything that works... TIA! (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: search66
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for array in large list of files

I tried to make the title/subject detailed, but well.. have to keep it short as well. I am wanting to take a large list of strings, and search through a large list of files to hopefully find numerous matches. I am not sure the quickest way to do this though. // List of files file1.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhije
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping between files

Hi I have two files File 1 alias HOME =.. alias DATA = ${DATA}/runtime1/test alias SQL = ${DATA}/find1dir/test alias SQL1 = ${HOME}/sql/orcl alias SQL2 =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping log files

I have a log file and I have two unique strings which represent the start and end of the text I want to obtain. How can I get all the text inbetween this start string and the end string? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjones
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance issue in Grepping large files

I have around 300 files(*.rdf,*.fmb,*.pll,*.ctl,*.sh,*.sql,*.prog) which are of large size. Around 8000 keywords(which will be in the file $keywordfile) needed to be searched inside those files. If a keyword is found in a file..I have to insert the filename,extension,catagoery,keyword,occurrence... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping a list of words from one file in a master database of homophones

Hello, I am sorry if the title is confusing, but I need a script to grep a list of Names from a Source file in a Master database in which all the homophonic variants of the name are listed along with a single indexing key and store all of these in an output file. I need this because I am testing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping verbal forms from a large corpus

I want to extract verbal forms from a large corpus of English. I have identified a certain number of patterns. Each pattern has the following structure SPACE word_CATEGORY where word refers to the verbal form and CATEGORY refers to the class of the verb The categories are identified as per the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
4 Replies