Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Editting a record
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Editting a record Post 302771938 by Jotne on Friday 22nd of February 2013 07:58:23 AM
Old 02-22-2013
Will the 0 always start at same position, so this is the actual number 00001453. If not, the is some difficult since your tail do contain several group of 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

file editting with shell programmin

Hello, I have several handreds of text files. The format of file looks like: column1 column2 column3 column4 column5 id1 definition1 name1 fieldid comm1 id2 definition2 name2 fieldid ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssshen
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix file editting commands

ok, are there any other file editting commands out there other than the below that comes with sunsolaris & linux vi, emacs, ed, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Terrible
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

editting file

Hi, I am having sequence of process ids in one file. My file contents is (Output of fuser someobject.so). 654 14583 17890 25902 This no. of processes may vary depends up on the object. I want to check all the processes one by one. If i want to apply egrep, I need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

matching IDs from two files and editting

I have two files. One has: ID# 0 a b c d e f g h i j k....................~2 milion columns ID# 0 l m n o p q r s t u v....................~2 milion columns . . . ~6000 lines Other has: ID# 1 or ID# 2 . . ~6000 lines (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: polly_falconer
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editting each line in a file

Hi Can anyone please help me in resolving my issue. I have a file with entries like this t9787ms 99970 22/08/2010 12:30 /www.google.com t9788ms 99942 22/08/2010 12:40 /www.google.com t4788ms 88942 22/08/2010 01:40 /www.google.com there are around 5 lakh records of this type my requirement... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskalyani
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reject the record if the record in the next line does not satisfy the pattern

Hi, I have a input file with the following entries: 1one 2two 3three 1four 2five 3six 1seven 1eight 1nine 2ten The output should be 1one 2two 3three 1four 2five 3six (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: supchand
2 Replies

7. Linux

Problem editting the first occurence of a pattern in the first uncommented line

Hi I have to replace a pattern found in the first uncommented line in a file. The challenge I'm facing is there are several such similar lines but I have to edit only the first uncommented line. Eg: #this is example #/root/xyz:Old_Pattern /root/xyz:Old_Pattern /root/xyz:Old_Pattern ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stoner008
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare current record,with next and previous record in awk without using array?

Hi! all can any one tell me how to compare current record of column with next and previous record in awk without using array my case is like this input.txt 0 32 1 26 2 27 3 34 4 26 5 25 6 24 9 23 0 32 1 28 2 15 3 26 4 24 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dona Clara
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract timestamp from first record in xml file and it checks if not it will replace first record

I have test.xml <emp><id>101</id><name>AAA</name><date>06/06/14 1811</date></emp> <Join><id>101</id><city>london</city><date>06/06/14 2011</date></join> <Join><id>101</id><city>new york</city><date>06/06/14 1811</date></join> <Join><id>101</id><city>sydney</city><date>06/06/14... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsraju
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need code for updating second record to first record in shell scripting

Hi,, I have requirement that i need to get DISTINCT values from a table and if there are two records i need to update it to one record and then need to submit INSERT statements by using the updated value as a parameter. Here is the example follows.. SELECT DISTINCT ID FROM OFFER_GROUP WHERE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Samah
1 Replies
TAIL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail -- display the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
tail [-F | -f | -r] [-q] [-b number | -c number | -n number] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The tail utility displays the contents of file or, by default, its standard input, to the standard output. The display begins at a byte, line or 512-byte block location in the input. Numbers having a leading plus ('+') sign are relative to the beginning of the input, for example, ``-c +2'' starts the display at the second byte of the input. Numbers having a leading minus ('-') sign or no explicit sign are relative to the end of the input, for example, ``-n 2'' displays the last two lines of the input. The default start- ing location is ``-n 10'', or the last 10 lines of the input. The options are as follows: -b number The location is number 512-byte blocks. -c number The location is number bytes. -f The -f option causes tail to not stop when end of file is reached, but rather to wait for additional data to be appended to the input. The -f option is ignored if the standard input is a pipe, but not if it is a FIFO. -F The -F option implies the -f option, but tail will also check to see if the file being followed has been renamed or rotated. The file is closed and reopened when tail detects that the filename being read from has a new inode number. The -F option is ignored if reading from standard input rather than a file. -n number The location is number lines. -q Suppresses printing of headers when multiple files are being examined. -r The -r option causes the input to be displayed in reverse order, by line. Additionally, this option changes the meaning of the -b, -c and -n options. When the -r option is specified, these options specify the number of bytes, lines or 512-byte blocks to display, instead of the bytes, lines or blocks from the beginning or end of the input from which to begin the display. The default for the -r option is to display all of the input. If more than a single file is specified, each file is preceded by a header consisting of the string ``==> XXX <=='' where XXX is the name of the file unless -q flag is specified. EXIT STATUS
The tail utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cat(1), head(1), sed(1) STANDARDS
The tail utility is expected to be a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. In particular, the -F, -b and -r options are extensions to that standard. The historic command line syntax of tail is supported by this implementation. The only difference between this implementation and historic versions of tail, once the command line syntax translation has been done, is that the -b, -c and -n options modify the -r option, i.e., ``-r -c 4'' displays the last 4 characters of the last line of the input, while the historic tail (using the historic syntax ``-4cr'') would ignore the -c option and display the last 4 lines of the input. HISTORY
A tail command appeared in PWB UNIX. BSD
June 29, 2006 BSD