Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: No sound in my Linux
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat No sound in my Linux Post 302771713 by Corona688 on Thursday 21st of February 2013 10:00:58 AM
Old 02-21-2013
The exact device name can vary. fdisk -l to list information on available disks and their partitions.

Have you tried the instructions I gave you to fix your sound yet?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sound card ?????

sapp guys i've got this little problem, i have no idea what kind of sound card i got i check dmesg|more and its not there is there any other way to find out ? THX (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: challenger
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

freeBSD 4.4 sound help please

how do i configure sound on a laptop in FreeBSD 4.4 the laptop is a Green753+ i think the sound is a ess ? can any one help please tryed to make a genric kerl but did not work (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amicrawler
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux xmms sound problems

Dear all, I have been using suse linux for as long as I can remember. However, for every installation I get the same problem. Once the installation is completed, and all of my devices (brand new hardware, from reknown brands) are detected, I decide to start doing some work, and play some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bionicfysh
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does this sound right?

A user's default permissions when creating new files or directories is set by the umask of either the system or in the startup script of the user itself. For example, I have 'umask 022' in my .profile which means that my default permissions will be 755. Typically, the system default umask is 022,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
1 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Sound Effects Dolby,SRS in Linux

Hello all. Can anyone tell me if there is any alternative to Window$ Media Player for LINUX(Linux Mint). What am searching for is a player with sound processing capabilities.(Bass,Equaliser,SRS,Dolby,etc..) Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolatt
1 Replies

6. Linux

Can not play sound in Linux RHEL5.

Hi All, Recently I installed Linux RHEL5 on my machine. It seems that I can not play sound on RHEL5. I have real player installed along with RHEL5 but, when I try to play any song, the error message comes up saying "Can not open the audio device.Another application may be using it." Does any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gydave
2 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Sound under OS 10.4.11 and 10.7.2

There is a change with UnIX version concerning these two platforms. I own a Power G4 Mac with OS 10.4.11 and a Mac Book Pro with Lion OS 10.7.2. There are some problems of compatibilities between the two UNIX versions. Under OS 10.4.11, these three UNIX commands work, in order to produce sounds,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shub22
4 Replies

8. Linux

No sound

I reformatted my hard drive and installed Mandriva 2011. It works fine. I can go to the Internet The problem is no sound. I want to listen to songs from YouTube. Sound doesn't come. I see a man is singing on the screen. No sound. I had no problem with my old Mandriva. Sound and everything... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Toxic
11 Replies
fmthard(1M)															       fmthard(1M)

NAME
fmthard - populate label on hard disks SYNOPSIS
SPARC fmthard -d data | -n volume_name | -s datafile [-i] /dev/rdsk/c? [t?] d?s2 fmthard -d data | -n volume_name | -s datafile [-i] /dev/rdsk/c? [t?] d?s2 The fmthard command updates the VTOC (Volume Table of Contents) on hard disks and, on systems, adds boot information to the Solaris fdisk partition. One or more of the options -s datafile, -d data, or -n volume_name must be used to request modifications to the disk label. To print disk label contents, see prtvtoc(1M). The /dev/rdsk/c?[t?]d?s2 file must be the character special file of the device where the new label is to be installed. On systems, fdisk(1M) must be run on the drive before fmthard. If you are using an system, note that the term ``partition'' in this page refers to slices within the fdisk partition on machines. Do not confuse the partitions created by fmthard with the partitions created by fdisk. The following options are supported: -d data The data argument of this option is a string representing the information for a particular partition in the current VTOC. The string must be of the format part:tag:flag:start:size where part is the partition number, tag is the ID TAG of the partition, flag is the set of permission flags, start is the starting sector number of the partition, and size is the number of sectors in the partition. See the description of the datafile below for more information on these fields. -i This option allows the command to create the desired VTOC table, but prints the information to standard output instead of modifying the VTOC on the disk. -n volume_name This option is used to give the disk a volume_name up to 8 characters long. -s datafile This option is used to populate the VTOC according to a datafile created by the user. If the datafile is "-", fmthard reads from standard input. The datafile format is described below. This option causes all of the disk par- tition timestamp fields to be set to zero. Every VTOC generated by fmthard will also have partition 2, by convention, that corresponds to the whole disk. If the input in datafile does not specify an entry for partition 2, a default partition 2 entry will be created auto- matically in VTOC with the tag V_BACKUP and size equal to the full size of the disk. The datafile contains one specification line for each partition, starting with partition 0. Each line is delimited by a new-line character ( ). If the first character of a line is an asterisk (*), the line is treated as a com- ment. Each line is composed of entries that are position-dependent, separated by "white space" and having the fol- lowing format: partition tag flag starting_sector size_in_sectors where the entries have the following values: partition The partition number. Currently, for Solaris SPARC, a disk can have up to 8 partitions, 0-7. Even though the partition field has 4 bits, only 3 bits are currently used. For , all 4 bits are used to allow slices 0-15. Each Solaris fdisk partition can have up to 16 slices. tag The partition tag: a decimal number. The following are reserved codes: 0 (V_UNASSIGNED), 1 (V_BOOT), 2 (V_ROOT), 3 (V_SWAP), 4 (V_USR), 5 (V_BACKUP), 6 (V_STAND), 7 (V_VAR), and 8 (V_HOME). flag The flag allows a partition to be flagged as unmountable or read only, the masks being: V_UNMNT 0x01, and V_RONLY 0x10. For mountable partitions use 0x00. starting_sector The sector number (decimal) on which the partition starts. size_in_sectors The number (decimal) of sectors occupied by the partition. You can save the output of a prtvtoc command to a file, edit the file, and use it as the datafile argument to the -s option. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ uname(1), format(1M), prtvtoc(1M), attributes(5) Only fdisk(1M), installgrub(1M) Special care should be exercised when overwriting an existing VTOC, as incorrect entries could result in current data being inaccessible. As a precaution, save the old VTOC. For disks under one terabyte, fmthard cannot write a VTOC on an unlabeled disk. Use format(1M) for this purpose. 11 Apr 2005 fmthard(1M)