Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk sum entire string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk sum entire string Post 302771692 by nwalsh88 on Thursday 21st of February 2013 08:52:04 AM
Old 02-21-2013
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help.

The awk command now returns
Quote:
I need it to return:
Quote:
Both numbers in the file end with a number followed by 00.
The Awk command seems to remove the final 0 from the sum.

I should have mentioned that these are actually figures with the decimal point removed so, 000000027300 = 273.00 and 000000178800 = 1788.00 and that is why it is important that the 00 at the end of the total remains.

Apologies for the confusion

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort entire line based on part of the string

hey gurus, my-build1-abc my-build10-abc my-build2-abc my-build22-abc my-build3-abc basically i want to numerically sort the entire lines based on the build number. I dont zero pad the numbers because thats "how it is" ;-) sort -n won't work because it starts from the beginning. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurpal2000
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string and copy the entire line

Hello All, I am after the script or the command which can scan the entire file for a string $PART_ID and when found to extract/copy the corresponding $PART_ID value (e.g THIRE_PTY_SOFTWARE for the 1st occurance of $PART_ID in the attached file) to a file. Appreciate your help. Thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumthreads
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting/awk help : awk sum output is not comming in regular format. Pls advise.

Hi Experts, I am adding a column of numbers with awk , however not getting correct output: # awk '{sum+=$1} END {print sum}' datafile 2.15291e+06 How can I getthe output like : 2152910 Thank you.. # awk '{sum+=$1} END {print sum}' datafile 2.15079e+06 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

4. Web Development

Replacing a string in an entire mysql Database

Hi, Can someone please tell me how I can replace every occurrence of a string with another string, in the entire mysql database? What this means is, i just dont want to operate table by table. I want to search the database and automatically replace the string /opt/cacti/scripts/ with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print only matched string instead of entire line

Hi, I have a file whose lines are something like Tchampionspsq^@~^@^^^A^@^@^@^A^A^Aÿð^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^A^@^@^@^@^?ð^@^@^@^@^@^@^@?ð^@^@^@^@^@^@pppsq^@~^@#@^@^@^@^@^@^Hw^H^@^@^@^K^@^@^@^@xp^At^@^FTtime2psq^@ ~^@^^^A^@^@^@^B^A I need to extract all words matching T*psq from the file. Thing is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print entire line only if certain fixed character matches the string

Hi All, I have a file testarun.txt contains the below lines and i want to print the lines if the character positions 7-8 matches 01. 201401011111 201401022222 201402013333 201402024444 201403015555 201403026666 201404017777 201404028888 201405019999 201405020000 I am trying the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression - Switch Entire String

I would like to be able to use a regular expression to find and replace entire strings, but not replace if the string is a substring in a larger string. Example: $string = "ABC ABCDEF ABC ABCDEF ABC"; Something like - $string =~ s/ABC/XYZ/g; ->Desired: $string = "XYZ ABCDEF XYZ ABCDEF... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjulich
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Avoid printing entire line if string not found

so im searching the process table with: ps -ef | awk -F"./rello.java" '{ print substr($0, index($0,$2)) }' I only want it to print everything that's infront of the "./rello.java". That's because im basically getting the arguments that was passed to the rello.java script. this works. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search a string and display its location on the entire string and make a text file

I want to search a small string in a large string and find the locations of the string. For this I used grep "string" -ob <file name where the large string is stored>. Now this gives me the locations of that string. Now how do I store these locations in a text file. Please use CODE tags as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ANKIT ROY
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk: count unique elements in a field and sum their occurence across the entire file

Hi, Sure it's an easy one, but it drives me insane. input ("|" separated): 1|A,B,C,A 2|A,D,D 3|A,B,B I would like to count the occurence of each capital letters in $2 across the entire file, knowing that duplicates in each record count as 1. I am trying to get this output... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
5 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)                                                   General Commands Manual                                                  ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)