Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove comments from file with specific file name extensions Post 302771675 by TheZeusMan on Thursday 21st of February 2013 08:07:22 AM
Old 02-21-2013
Yeah, but I don't expect you to write the full program for me. I just need some infirmatn where to start.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove specific lines from a file

Hi there I have a file with a variable amount of rows but the 45th, 46th and 47th charachter of each line is the status field which is a three digit code ie 001, 002, 003 etc. My question is this..I need to strip all the records/lines with 002's out of the file completely and put them into... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove specific lines from a file

When restoring a file in my uninstall program I need to remove the lines I added to a file during the install. In between the file can be modified by the users. Assume file1 is as follow: xxx str2 xxxx ..... ...The Following lines containing str* have to be removed... xxx str1 xxxx xxx ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluemoon1
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicates from File from specific location

How can i remove the duplicate lines from a file, for example sample123456Sample testing123456testing XXXXX131323XXXXX YYYYY423432YYYYY fsdfdsf123456gsdfdsd all the duplicates from column 6-12 , must be deleted. I want to consider the first row, if same comes in the given range i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gopikgunda
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove specific lines from a file (reprise)

Hello, I've to change the shell in /etc/passwd for some users . I've the list of users but I'm not able to modify the file with scripting . I'm working on a Sol10 . Can anyone help me ? tnks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i remove comments in random positions in a file?(bash)

Suppose i have a file like this: #bla bla #bla bla bla bla bla Bla BLA BLA BLA #bla bla .... .... how can i remove all comments from every line,even if they are behind commands or strngs that are not comments? any idea how i could do that using awk? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashuser2
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove specific content in a file

Hi, I have a file called fl_list consists of files i have to archive. I want to create a exception parm called except_parm, so if it finds the directory it will not archive these files and remove from fl_list. $ cat fl_list /apps/dev/ihub/ready/IA003B/IA003B_Deal_Header_yyyymmdd_hhmmss.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: k9cheung
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove a string from a specific column in a file

Hello, A basic query. How can I remove a string from a specific column. For example, remove "abcd" just from column 2 in example file: abcd abcd1 abcd abcd2 abcd abcd3 to get output: abcd 1 abcd 2 abcd 3 Thank you!:) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: auburn
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove blank lines and comments from text file

Hi, I am using BASH. How can I remove any lines in a text file that are either blank or begin with a # (ie. comments)? Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Watch directory and move specific file extensions

Hi all, This is actually more for my lazyness then anything else, but I think others might find it useful to use as well. Basically this is what I am trying to achieve... In my ubuntu home dir under Downloads is where firefox saves everything by default, now I know that you can manually... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: STOIE
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Specific Column in a File using awk

Hi, I would like to ask your expertise to remove specific column no. 8 in the below file using but I don't have an idea on how to simply do this using awk command. Appreciate your help in advance. Input f: ABC 1 1XC CDA 1 2YC CCC 1 3XC AVD 1 3XA Expected output file: ABC 1 1C CDA... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzavilz
9 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)