Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help in running a script continuously non stop Post 302771582 by sandeepcm on Thursday 21st of February 2013 04:31:52 AM
Old 02-21-2013
Ubuntu Need help in running a script continuously non stop

Hi,

I am running a schedular script which will check for a specific time and do the job. I wanted to run this continuously. Meaning even after the if condition is true and it executes the job, it should start running again non stop.
I am using below script
Code:
#!/bin/sh
start:
while true
do
hour=$(date +"%T")
if [ "$hour" == 18:30:00 ]; then
<Do the JOB>
goto start
fi
done

The problem I am facing here is its not recognizing start command initially. So i am not able to optimise it. Can anyone help?

Last edited by vbe; 02-21-2013 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: code tags please

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop asking password while running shell script?

Hello, I am ftping the file from one unix box to another box. This script works fine. Only problem here is, it is asking the password when ftp the file. How can i stop that. I am providing the password inside the shell script. But it is not accepting this. I need to put this script in crontab.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop the script which is running in background

Hi I have a script, which i ran in background, can someone please help in stopping this. i gave this command: ksh abc.ksh & this script sends me a mail every 30 seconds. i have deleted the script but still i am getting the mails. can some one please help me stopping dese. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop a script running in remote server from local script

Hi, I have googled for quite some time and couldn't able to get what exactly I am looking for.. My query is "how to stop a shell script which is running inside a remote server, using a script"??? can any one give some suggestions to sort this out. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mannepalli
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to continuously scan a log file

Hello members, I have some doubts on how to write a script that can reports success / failure of a batch job ? 1. Run a batch job: 2. Wait and search for a particular string in the Log file: tail -f log01*.txt | egrep -v "^SUCCESSFUL" echo "continue with the other tasks" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: novice82
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process running? Stop it

I have this "process keepalive" script: #!/bin/bash PIDFILE=/tmp/php.pid PHPSCRIPT=/home/www/mydomain.com/subdomains/www/parser.php echo 'Checking php process from PID file' if ; then PID=`cat $PIDFILE` if ps ax | grep -v grep | grep $PID > /dev/null then echo "php process still... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LukasB
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a script continuously for 10 minutes

Hi all!! Im using ksh and my OS is Linux. I want to run a script for ten minutes, starting from my current system time. How to acheive this? Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayaraman
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for continuously checking status of a another script running in background, and immedia

Hi, I want to write a script which continuously checking status of a script running in background by nohup command. And if same script is not running then immediately start the script...please help.. i am using below command to run script nohup system_traps.sh & but in some... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a process continuously for an hour then stop?

Hi I have a shell script I would like to run it has to run twice a day every 5 seconds for an hour I can do this with cron but I was hoping there was an easier way. Is there a way to make a process sleep only at a certain time of day say between 1 and 2 pm? Or under certain conditions? Any help... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
8 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Script for pinging continuously

Hi, I need to set up a script that would write the results of the ping command from one AIX server to another file may be every minute. Like this I need to gather the data for a period of 24 hours. Can someone please help me with this? G (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script for continuously monitoring log file

Hi I have written below log monitoring script to egrep multiple words and redirect the output to a text file and its working fine but I want to add some more below given functionality to it, which is very advance and im not very good in it, so please help if you can :) I am egrepping all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scazed
1 Replies
ns_sched(3aolserver)					    AOLserver Built-In Commands 				      ns_sched(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ns_after, ns_cancel, ns_pause, ns_resume, ns_schedule_daily, ns_schedule_proc, ns_schedule_weekly, ns_unschedule_proc - commands SYNOPSIS
ns_after seconds {script | procname ?args?} ns_cancel id ns_pause id ns_resume id ns_schedule_daily ?-thread? ?-once? hour minute {script | procname ?args?} ns_schedule_proc ?-thread? ?-once? interval {script | procname ?args?} ns_schedule_weekly ?-thread? ?-once? day hour minute {script | procname ?args?} ns_unschedule_proc id _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
ns_after run the specified script or procedure after the specified number of seconds ns_after returns an id which can be used with the ns_pause, ns_cancel and ns_resume apis. ns_cancel stops the scheduled running of the id returned by an ns_after returns 1 if unscheduled 0 if the script of procedure couldn't be unscheduled ns_pause pauses the scheduled running of the id returned by an ns_after returns 1 if paused, 0 if the script of procedure couldn't be paused ns_resume resumes the scheduled running of the id returned by an ns_after returns 1 if resumed, 0 if the script of procedure couldn't be resumed ns_schedule_daily ns_schedule_daily runs the specified Tcl script or procedure (procname) once a day at the time specified by hour and minute. The hour can be from 0 to 23, and the minute can be from 0 to 59. Specify -thread if you want a thread created to run the procedure. This will allow the scheduler to continue with other scheduled procedures. Specifying -thread is appropriate in situations where the script will not return immediately, such as when the script performs network activity. Specify -once if you want the script to run only one time. The default is that the script will be re-scheduled after each time it is run. ns_schedule_daily returns an id number for the scheduled procedure that is needed to stop the scheduled procedure with ns_unsched- ule_proc. ns_schedule_proc ns_schedule_proc runs the specified Tcl script or procedure (procname) at an interval specified by interval. The interval is the number of seconds between runs of the script. Specify -thread if you want a thread created to run the procedure. This will allow the scheduler to continue with other scheduled procedures. Specifying -thread is appropriate in situations where the script will not return immediately, such as when the script performs network activity. Specify -once if you want the script to run only one time. The default is that the script will be re-scheduled after each time it is run. ns_schedule_proc returns an id number for the scheduled procedure that is needed to stop the scheduled procedure with ns_unsched- ule_proc. ns_schedule_weekly ns_schedule_weekly runs the specified Tcl script or procedure (procname) once a week on the day specified by day and the time speci- fied by hour and minute. The day can be from 0 to 6, where 0 represents Sunday. The hour can be from 0 to 23, and the minute can be from 0 to 59. Specify -thread if you want a thread created to run the procedure. This will allow the scheduler to continue with other scheduled procedures. Specifying -thread is appropriate in situations where the script will not return immediately, such as when the script performs network activity. Specify -once if you want the script to run only one time. The default is that the script will be re-scheduled after each time it is run. ns_schedule_weekly returns an id number for the scheduled procedure that is needed to stop the scheduled procedure with ns_unsched- ule_proc. ns_unschedule_proc id ns_unschedule_proc stops a scheduled procedure from executing anymore. The scheduled procedure to be stopped is identified by its id, which was returned by the ns_schedule* function that was used to schedule the procedure. EXAMPLES
ns_after ns_cancel ns_pause ns_resume This example illustrates a web interface used to manage jobs. Depending on the action provided a job can be created, cancelled, paused or resumed. set action [ns_queryget action] set job [ns_queryget job] switch $action { create { set job [ns_after 10 [ns_queryget script]] ns_puts "Job created with id: $job" } cancel { if {[ns_cancel $job]} { ns_puts "Job $job cancelled" } else { ns_puts "Job $job not cancelled" } } pause { if {[ns_pause $job]} { ns_puts "Job $job paused" } else { ns_puts "Job $job not paused } } resume { if {[ns_resume $job]} { ns_puts "Job $job resumed" } else { ns_puts "Job $job couldn't be resumed" } } default { ns_puts "Invalid action $action" } } ns_schedule_daily This example defines a script called rolllog that uses ns_accesslog to roll the access log to a file with an extension containing the current date. The ns_schedule_daily function is used to execute the rolllog script on a daily basis. # Script to roll and rcp log file to host "grinder" proc rolllog {} { set suffix [ns_strftime "%y-%m-%d"] set new [ns_accesslog file].$suffix ns_accesslog roll $new exec rcp $new grinder:/logs/[file tail $new] } # Schedule "rolllog" to run at 3:30 am each morning ns_schedule_daily -thread 3 30 rolllog ns_schedule_proc proc dosomething blah { ns_log Notice "proc with arg '$blah'" } ns_schedule_proc 10 dosomething $arg1 SEE ALSO
KEYWORDS
schedule pause resume unschedule cancel after AOLserver 4.0 ns_sched(3aolserver)