Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with system command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with system command Post 302771540 by Jotne on Thursday 21st of February 2013 01:49:29 AM
Old 02-21-2013
Code:
output=$(grep RESTART test|wc -l)
echo "output is $output"
output is 8

I do get 8 for this code. I guess you did count one wrong.

Code:
awk '/RESTART/ {c++} END {print "output is",c}' test
output is 8

Last edited by Jotne; 02-21-2013 at 02:55 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

using system cp command in C program

Hi i used the following code to copy a directory from a source location to dest. argv contains the source loc i/p by the user. strcpy(source,argv); strcpy(dest,"/home/MainServer/Job_dir/"); system("cp -r $source $dest"); it complies properly but during execution of the program it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridula
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - system command

Can this be done without using te system command? I have a directory with a large number of files in it, but I am interested in only the 8 most recent. The directory looks like -rw-rw-rw- 1 adsm adsm 13412 Sep 22 08:31 events_dump_09222005.csv.gz -rw-rw-rw- 1 adsm adsm ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reggiej
5 Replies

3. Programming

system command

Hi In my code am openeing a mozilla in Solaris with some url using sytem(url) this is working fine for most of the urls but for url of type- www.abc.com?action=p&a=23 it is passing only www.abc.com?action=p to the browser & thus the url is not opening properly. Why is system command... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimishm
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help w/PERL system command

Hi, I'm wanting to run an nslookup, dig or whatever to check for the existence of a printer. The PERL script will display the results on the screen, but I can't figure out how to capture the result & test the value. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!!! Thank You (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lorik
1 Replies

5. Programming

system() command

hello everybody! i write this following command: system ("time (md5sum ./a.out)>log 2>&1"); as a part of a c program. but it printf the following error: sh: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")") can anybody tell me why? thanx in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

system command within awk

I was trying commands within awk. i got stuck here. i take 2 files. cat input first second third fourth fifth sixth seventh eighth ninht tenthcat add *************** Nirbhay ***************i run the command awk '{ if ( NR == 5 ) { print system("cat add") "\n" $0 } else {... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nirbhay
4 Replies

7. AIX

printing system with the command lp -d

Hello.. Plz, Any one can help me ? when I execute a printing system with the command lp -d<name of printer>, no result with all printers. I have verified the three processes : qdaemon, lpd, writesrv (No problem). thank's (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: okbainf
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System command

Hello All, I am trying to run this system command from batch file..... my @filename = ( 'cleartool', 'find', '. -type', 'f', '-ver','lbtype_sub(baseline name)', '-print' ); system(@filename); But while executing the batch it is throwing this error: cleartool: Error: Pathname not found:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suvenduperl
1 Replies

9. Programming

Question about system command in C

The man system says During execution of the command, SIGCHLD will be blocked, and SIGINT and SIGQUIT will be ignored. What does this mean? And if i am making a function that does what system does how do i write this signal stuff? (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
19 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

System Command dies even when command gets executed successfully

Hi I have created a perl script & running it using Linux machine. I want my script to die when system command is unsuccessful but script is dying even when system command gets executed successfully. :wall: I am using the command below :- system($cmd) || die "FAILED $!"; print "Hello"; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priyanka Gupta
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)