Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script to compare ,diff and remove betwen 2 files Post 302771459 by DGPickett on Wednesday 20th of February 2013 04:39:00 PM
Old 02-20-2013
You can generate an ex script to modify the copy back in sync using diff -e. This can be good for sending small changes to a big file over slow networks.

Now, if you have a master file and 2 children with different changes, you can generate an ex script to put both changes in the master using diff3 -e Think parallel development changes merge.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare 2 coloum of 2 diff files using perl script

Hi, i am new to perl scripting.. i am still learing it.. i am asked to write a perl script which should compare 2 coloums of 2 different files. if those 2 coloumn are same the script should store the both the lines in 2 diff files. these are files, file 1: 21767016 226112 char 19136520... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuki
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and output diff to third file

I have made several attempts to read two files of ip addresses and eliminate records from file1 that are in file2. My latest attempt follows. Everything works except my file3 is exactly the same as file1 and it should not be. # !/usr/bin/bash # # NoInterfaces # Utility will create a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: altamaha
8 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to compare two files using shell script

hi experts please help me to compare two files which are in different directory file1<file will be master file> (/home/rev/mas.txt} ex x1 x2 file2 <will be in different folder> (/home/rev/per/.....) ex x3 x4 the filesinside per folder i need to compare with master file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: revenna
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare two files, diff the result

Hi Everyone, 1.txt 00:01:01 asdf 00:33:33 1234 00:33:33 0987 00:33:33 12 00:33:33 444 2.txt vvvv|ee 444|dd33|ee dddd|ee 12|ee 3ciur|fdd the output should be: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Diff to Compare 2 files

Hi I've been trying various methods that I have found online with regards to comparing 2 files using the diff command. Nothing seems to work. The problem is that I'm not too familiar with the proper syntax. Can you please assist me. Here is my script: #!/bin/bash awk -F',' -v file1="$1"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Compare Two Files

I have a directory with about 6 files that we receive regularly. these 6 files contain information for 3 different units, 2 for each unit. files related to a specific unit are named similarly with a change in number at the end of the file. the numbers should be sequential. for each grouping of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptman237
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to compare two files

I have two files; file A and file B. I need all the entries of file A to be compared with file B line by line. If the entry exists on file B, then save those on file C; if no then save it on file D Note :- all the columns of the lines of file A need to be compared, except the last two columns... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajiwww
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files using shell script

Hi i want to compare two files and i need the o/p of only difference here the files file1 achilles aedxbepo aedxbwdm01 aedxbwdm02 albedo amarice ambrister anakin anton argon artephius asgard avatar aymara (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: venikathir
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Howto compare the columns of 2 diff tables of 2 different schemas in UNIX shell script

HI All, I am new to Unix shell scripts.. Could you please post the unix shell script for for the below request., There are two different tables(sample1, sample2) in different schemas(s_schema1, s_schema2). Unix shell script to compare the columns of two different tables of two... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajkumar Gopal
2 Replies
MERGE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  MERGE(1)

NAME
merge - three-way file merge SYNOPSIS
merge [ options ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
merge incorporates all changes that lead from file2 to file3 into file1. The result ordinarily goes into file1. merge is useful for com- bining separate changes to an original. Suppose file2 is the original, and both file1 and file3 are modifications of file2. Then merge combines both changes. A conflict occurs if both file1 and file3 have changes in a common segment of lines. If a conflict is found, merge normally outputs a warning and brackets the conflict with <<<<<<< and >>>>>>> lines. A typical conflict will look like this: <<<<<<< file A lines in file A ======= lines in file B >>>>>>> file B If there are conflicts, the user should edit the result and delete one of the alternatives. OPTIONS
-A Output conflicts using the -A style of diff3(1), if supported by diff3. This merges all changes leading from file2 to file3 into file1, and generates the most verbose output. -E, -e These options specify conflict styles that generate less information than -A. See diff3(1) for details. The default is -E. With -e, merge does not warn about conflicts. -L label This option may be given up to three times, and specifies labels to be used in place of the corresponding file names in conflict reports. That is, merge -L x -L y -L z a b c generates output that looks like it came from files x, y and z instead of from files a, b and c. -p Send results to standard output instead of overwriting file1. -q Quiet; do not warn about conflicts. -V Print 's version number. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no conflicts, 1 for some conflicts, 2 for trouble. IDENTIFICATION
Author: Walter F. Tichy. Manual Page Revision: 5.7; Release Date: 1995/06/01. Copyright (C) 1982, 1988, 1989 Walter F. Tichy. Copyright (C) 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 Paul Eggert. SEE ALSO
diff3(1), diff(1), rcsmerge(1), co(1). BUGS
It normally does not make sense to merge binary files as if they were text, but merge tries to do it anyway. GNU
1995/06/01 MERGE(1)