Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting While loop - how to run processes one after another (2nd starts after first completes, and so on) Post 302771422 by alister on Wednesday 20th of February 2013 03:17:17 PM
Old 02-20-2013
One (hacky) method to force each iteration of the loop to wait until usearch and all of its children have exited is to use strace -f.

A simple demonstration ...

sneaky.sh: prints 1 and exits while a sleeping subshell is left behind to print 2 at a later time.
Code:
#!/bin/sh

echo 1
( sleep 5; echo 2 ) &

loop.sh: runs sneaky.sh, almost certainly completing all loop iterations before any of the sleeping subshells awake.
Code:
#!/bin/sh

for i in 1 2 3; do
    ./sneaky.sh
done

Sample run:
Code:
$ ./loop.sh
$2

loop-strace.sh: exploits the fact that strace -f does not return until all children have exited:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

for i in 1 2 3; do
    strace -f -o /dev/null -e trace=process ./sneaky.sh
done

Sample run:
Code:
$ ./loop-strace.sh
$

If you are interested in seeing the processes that usearch is creating and how it's managing them, use a real file instead of /dev/null.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run processes in parallel?

In a korn shell script, how can I run several processes in parallel at the same time? For example, I have 3 processes say p1, p2, p3 if I call them as p1.ksh p2.ksh p3.ksh they will run after one process finishes. But I want to run them in parallel and want to display "Process p1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbasak
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Run away processes

Hi, My server runnning on SUN Solaris rel.5.5.1. I have been facing this issues for years. I have some Xbase databases running on the server. User is using emulation software to telnet to server for accessing application. If user logout application abnormally - by closing windows session, then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowtaiwah
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script to run different shells which run different processes

Hi, Would like to ask the experts if anyone knows how to run a script like this: dtterm -title shell1 run process1 on shell1 dtterm -title shell2 run process2 on shell2 cheers! p/s: sorry if i used the wrong forum, quite concussed after watching world cup for several nights; but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mochi
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can I run something as root (modprobe, to be exact) every time computer starts.

I have the root password for my box, but I'm ignorant. So, every time I start my computer, I have to run this command /sbin/modprobe fuse as su, so that I can do other stuff (like mount remote directories locally using sshfs) I guess there's some file, like .bashrc, only it's applicable... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tphyahoo
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Two questions. First one; What are the ways in which a program starts to run.

This is my first post here so hello everyone! I know that a command of the programs name can start a program and clicking on a icon in GUI can as well as a startup shell script but how do I educate myself of the method that starts an application? Does the GUI run a script? What are the ways/ way... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
2 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

how to run more than two processes parallely

I would like to call a function called CIRCLE which is further beind called by other function but in a loop that CIRCLE fuction is being called. And this CIRCLE function starts another process which takes 3 hours to complete again, if i put that process in nohup &, I can go to the next command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venugopalsmartb
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum no of processes that can run

Is there any limit in UNIX that only a MAXIMUM no of processes can run at a time? If so, it exceeds then what would be the error we would receive? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jansat
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

When I run the script, the cursor starts on the wrong line?

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: It's a shell script using a looping logic, trap, tput, if, while. Most of the scripts in this book aren't written... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckleinholz
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to write a shell script that starts one, then kills it, then starts another?

This is on a CentOS box, I have two scripts that need to run in order. I want to write a shell script that calls the first script, lets it run and then terminates it after a certain number of hours (that I specify of course), and then calls the second script (they can't run simultaneously) which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: btramer
3 Replies
NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)														 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
npm-run-script - Run arbitrary package scripts SYNOPSIS
npm run-script <command> [--silent] [-- <args>...] alias: npm run DESCRIPTION
This runs an arbitrary command from a package's "scripts" object. If no "command" is provided, it will list the available scripts. run[-script] is used by the test, start, restart, and stop commands, but can be called directly, as well. When the scripts in the package are printed out, they're separated into lifecycle (test, start, restart) and directly-run scripts. As of ` https://blog.npmjs.org/post/98131109725/npm-2-0-0, you can use custom arguments when executing scripts. The special option -- is used by getopt https://goo.gl/KxMmtG to delimit the end of the options. npm will pass all the arguments after the -- directly to your script: npm run test -- --grep="pattern" The arguments will only be passed to the script specified after npm run and not to any pre or post script. The env script is a special built-in command that can be used to list environment variables that will be available to the script at run- time. If an "env" command is defined in your package, it will take precedence over the built-in. In addition to the shell's pre-existing PATH, npm run adds node_modules/.bin to the PATH provided to scripts. Any binaries provided by locally-installed dependencies can be used without the node_modules/.bin prefix. For example, if there is a devDependency on tap in your package, you should write: "scripts": {"test": "tap test/*.js"} instead of "scripts": {"test": "node_modules/.bin/tap test/*.js"} to run your tests. The actual shell your script is run within is platform dependent. By default, on Unix-like systems it is the /bin/sh command, on Windows it is the cmd.exe. The actual shell referred to by /bin/sh also depends on the system. As of ` https://github.com/npm/npm/releases/tag/v5.1.0 you can customize the shell with the script-shell configuration. Scripts are run from the root of the module, regardless of what your current working directory is when you call npm run. If you want your script to use different behavior based on what subdirectory you're in, you can use the INIT_CWD environment variable, which holds the full path you were in when you ran npm run. npm run sets the NODE environment variable to the node executable with which npm is executed. Also, if the --scripts-prepend-node-path is passed, the directory within which node resides is added to the PATH. If --scripts-prepend-node-path=auto is passed (which has been the default in npm v3), this is only performed when that node executable is not found in the PATH. If you try to run a script without having a node_modules directory and it fails, you will be given a warning to run npm install, just in case you've forgotten. You can use the --silent flag to prevent showing npm ERR! output on error. You can use the --if-present flag to avoid exiting with a non-zero exit code when the script is undefined. This lets you run potentially undefined scripts without breaking the execution chain. SEE ALSO
o npm help 7 scripts o npm help test o npm help start o npm help restart o npm help stop o npm help 7 config January 2019 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)