Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Records Inserting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Records Inserting Post 302771150 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 19th of February 2013 07:14:04 PM
Old 02-19-2013
Try something like:
Code:
awk '
/^[0-9]/ && FNR == NR {
        # Copy lines from 1st file (before the last line) to the output.
        last = $1       # Save the sequence number in the 1st field.
        print
        next
}
/^F/ {  final = $0;next}        # Save the last line from the 1st file.
{       # Replace the seqnece number in lines from the 2nd file and print
        # the modified lines...
        printf("%08d%s\n", ++last, substr($0, 9))
}
END {   # Replace the sequence number at the end of the last record in the 1st
        # file with the last sequence number assigned to new records from the
        # 2nd file.
        printf("%s%08d\n", substr(final, 1, length(final) - 8), last)
}' file add

where file contains the original file contents, and add contains the records to be added.

(Note, on Solaris/SunOS systems, use /usr/xpg4/bin/awk or nawk instead of awk.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting records from flat file to db table

I have 20000 numbers present in a file in each line like 25663, 65465, 74579, 56446, .. .. I have created a table in db with single number column in it. create table testhari (no number(9)); I want to insert all these numbers into that table. how can i do it? can anybody please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hara
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in inserting a value.........

Hello, I'm having a files with variable no of lines. An example for this file is as follows ~xxx STRT 0.0000000000 : STOP : ~xxxxx 0.000000 557.109552 -557.109552 1511.482910 -954.373377 954.373377 in the STOP line below the 0.00000000000 I need... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: santyshyam
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Based on num of records in file1 need to check records in file2 to set some condns

Hi All, I have two files say file1 and file2. I want to check the number of records in file1 and if its atleast 2 (i.e., 2 or greater than 2 ) then I have to check records in file2 .If records in file2 is atleast 1 (i.e. if its not empty ) i have to set some conditions . Could you pls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split records into multiple records

Hi All, I am trying to split a record into multiple records based on a value. Input.txt "A",1,0,10 "B",2,0,10,15,20 "C",3,11,14,16,19,21,23 "D",1,0,5 My desired output is: "A",1,0,10 "B",2,0,10 "B",2,15,20 "C",3,11,14 "C",3,16,19 "C",3,21,23 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicate records from file 1 if records from file 2 match

I have 2 files "File 1" is delimited by ";" and "File 2" is delimited by "|". File 1 below (3 record shown): Doc1;03/01/2012;New York;6 Main Street;Mr. Smith 1;Mr. Jones Doc2;03/01/2012;Syracuse;876 Broadway;John Davis;Barbara Lull Doc3;03/01/2012;Buffalo;779 Old Windy Road;Charles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files with different number of records and output only the Extra records from file1

Hi Freinds , I have 2 files . File 1 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |pra|bhe|3|hyd |omu|hei|4|bnsj |uer|oeri|5|uery File 2 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |uer|oi|3|uery output : (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Help inserting records between various matches

Hello, my apologizes if the title is a bit confusing. I am currently working with a series of files that have the form: 2 3 7 17 21 However, I need to insert records such that I have: 0 0 1 0 2 1 3 1 4 0 5 0 6 0 7 1 .... And so on. Currently I have the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Euler2
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate records of a file on 2 types of records

Hi I am new to shell programming in unix Please if I can provide help. I have a file structure of a header record and "N" detail records. The header record will be the total number of detail records I need to split the file in 2: One for the header Another for all detail records Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcogar
1 Replies
PG_COPY_FROM(3) 														   PG_COPY_FROM(3)

pg_copy_from - Insert records into a table from an array

SYNOPSIS
bool pg_copy_from (resource $connection, string $table_name, array $rows, [string $delimiter], [string $null_as]) DESCRIPTION
pg_copy_from(3) inserts records into a table from $rows. It issues a COPY FROM SQL command internally to insert records. PARAMETERS
o $connection - PostgreSQL database connection resource. o $table_name - Name of the table into which to copy the $rows. o $rows - An array of data to be copied into $table_name. Each value in $rows becomes a row in $table_name. Each value in $rows should be a delimited string of the values to insert into each field. Values should be linefeed terminated. o $delimiter - The token that separates values for each field in each element of $rows. Default is TAB. o $null_as - How SQL NULL values are represented in the $rows. Default is N ("\N"). RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 pg_copy_from(3) example <?php $db = pg_connect("dbname=publisher") or die("Could not connect"); $rows = pg_copy_to($db, $table_name); pg_query($db, "DELETE FROM $table_name"); pg_copy_from($db, $table_name, $rows); ?> SEE ALSO
pg_copy_to(3). PHP Documentation Group PG_COPY_FROM(3)