Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop? Post 302771005 by danish0909 on Tuesday 19th of February 2013 09:37:54 AM
Old 02-19-2013
[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All,

I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I do not know how to add it up.
Please help me since doing this task manually is really very frustrating.

---------- Post updated at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:06 PM ----------

Im on HP-UX B.11.31

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a fixed length output from a variable length input

Is there a command that sets a variable length? I have a input of a variable length field but my output for that field needs to be set to 32 char. Is there such a command? I am on a sun box running ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

the given code goes in infinite loop and does not increment variable i

code is as #!/bin/sh i=1; while do welcome $i times; i='expr $i+1'; done exit 0; (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrityunjay22
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add Loop number to variable name?

Hi there, I need to add a sequence of numbers to existing variables within the script to be able to call the variable automatically. Somehow it's just printing the loop number. Here's what I've got so far. :eek: #!/bin/sh FOLDER1=foo FOLDER2=bar FOLDER3=beer for ((a=1; a <= 3 ; a++))... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siul0_0
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make variable length record a fixed length

Very, very new to unix scripting and have a unique situation. I have a file of records that contain 3 records types: (H)eader Records (D)etail Records (T)railer Records The Detail records are 82 bytes in length which is perfect. The Header and Trailer records sometimes are 82 bytes in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment of a variable

Hi All, I have a variable n that stores a number. Eg. echo $n comes out to be 120. I need to print 121 using echo command on n. Please advice. Thanks in advance !! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: learning_skills
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split variable length and variable format CSV file

Dear all, I have basic knowledge of Unix script and her I am trying to process variable length and variable format CSV file. The file length will depend on the numbers of Earnings/Deductions/Direct Deposits. And The format will depend on whether it is Earnings/Deductions or Direct Deposits... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chechun
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing a variable length text to a fixed length

Hi, Can anyone help with a effective solution ? I need to change a variable length text field (between 1 - 18 characters) to a fixed length text of 18 characters with the unused portion, at the end, filled with spaces. The text field is actually field 10 of a .csv file however I could cut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dc18
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Assigning a value to a variable name then running a loop on these values

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could assist me for (what is probably) a very straightforward answer. I have input files containing something like File 1 Apples Apples Apples Apples File 2 Bananas Bananas Bananas Bananas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hubleo
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] UNIX FOR loop to read a variable with multiple values

Hi, I have a variable which stores file names as a result of find command. I need to delete all these files one by one, i.e. by a loop. Can anyone tell me how can it be done? The variable f2d has the file names like these abc.txt bcd.txt fff.txt gef.txt Now I have used a loop as... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert variable length record to fixed length

Hi Team, I have an issue to split the file which is having special chracter(German Char) using awk command. I have a different length records in a file. I am separating the files based on the length using awk command. The command is working fine if the record is not having any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anthuvan
7 Replies
std::chrono::duration< _Rep, _Period >(3)		     Library Functions Manual			 std::chrono::duration< _Rep, _Period >(3)

NAME
std::chrono::duration< _Rep, _Period > - SYNOPSIS
Public Types typedef _Period period typedef _Rep rep Public Member Functions duration (const duration &)=default template<typename _Rep2 , typename = typename enable_if<is_convertible<_Rep2, rep>::value && (treat_as_floating_point<rep>::value || !treat_as_floating_point<_Rep2>::value)>::type> constexpr duration (const _Rep2 &__rep) template<typename _Rep2 , typename _Period2 , typename = typename enable_if<treat_as_floating_point<rep>::value || (ratio_divide<_Period2, period>::den == 1 && !treat_as_floating_point<_Rep2>::value)>::type> constexpr duration (const duration< _Rep2, _Period2 > &__d) constexpr rep count () const template<typename _Rep2 = rep> enable_if <!treat_as_floating_point < _Rep2 >::value, duration & > ::type operator%= (const rep &__rhs)" template<typename _Rep2 = rep> enable_if <!treat_as_floating_point < _Rep2 >::value, duration & > ::type operator%= (const duration &__d)" duration & operator*= (const rep &__rhs) constexpr duration operator+ () const duration & operator++ () duration operator++ (int) duration & operator+= (const duration &__d) constexpr duration operator- () const duration & operator-- () duration operator-- (int) duration & operator-= (const duration &__d) duration & operator/= (const rep &__rhs) duration & operator= (const duration &)=default Static Public Member Functions static constexpr duration max () static constexpr duration min () static constexpr duration zero () Detailed Description template<typename _Rep, typename _Period = ratio<1>>struct std::chrono::duration< _Rep, _Period > duration Definition at line 63 of file chrono. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for libstdc++ from the source code. libstdc++ Tue Jun 10 2014 std::chrono::duration< _Rep, _Period >(3)