Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Check user input
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check user input Post 302770977 by mohtashims on Tuesday 19th of February 2013 08:07:05 AM
Old 02-19-2013
Wrench Check user input

Hi,

I need my script to check if the user enters 3 values if not 5 values to my script and alert if the input has any other number of values.

for example:

./myscript.sh 22 56 3221 - > correct[3 values entered]
./myscript.sh 22 56 3221 45 777 -> correct[5 values entered]
./myscript.sh 22 56 3221 45 -> incorrect[4 values entered]

Please let me know how-to ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check on Input

HI all, I would like to know how the user can be restricted for entering only the number and not characters in sheel scripts.. Suppose code is like this echo 'Enter the number' read Value Now user may enter 'a' as value... But i want to disallow him for entering characters other than... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhananjaysk
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash : how do i check the user input and make sure is only chracter or only number ?

Bash : how do i check the user input and make sure is only character or only number ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: CheeSen
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to check the user input from terminal

Hello everybody!!! I am writing my own rm command in unix. I prompt the user to type if he wants to delete a file and then read what he typed. But how do i check what he typed? This is my program so far: echo 'Delete prog1.c (y/n)?' read yesOrNo if yesOrNo == 'y' then rm prog1.c... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskart
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the user input recursively until the user provides valid input

Hi, echo "Enter file name of input file list along with absolute path : " read inputFileList if then for string in `cat inputFileList` do echo $string done else echo " file does not exist" fi From the above code, if the user enters a invalid file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: i.srini89
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script interacts with user , based on user input it operates

i have a script which takes input from user, if user gives either Y/y then it should continue, else it should quit by displaying user cancelled. #!/bin/sh echo " Enter your choice to continue y/Y OR n/N to quit " read A if then echo " user requested to continue " ##some commands... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
7 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Function to Check if string input from user is alphabetic only

Good Evening. I'm new to C. Can you please help me. I'm creating an error checking function, user will input a string, this will check if the input is all alphabet or all letters only. If there is a digit or other special char, it will print Error then ask input from user again. Here's my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eracav
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How-To Check & Filter user input

Hi, On my Java webpage which invokes the shell script has two checkboxes viz ... apache and weblogic apache require one parameter i.e apache home from the user while Weblogic requires three or five params from the user vi.z weblogic_home or <jdk_home, config_home & pid>, username and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the user input to be valid using shell script?

How to check the user input to be valid using shell script? The valid input is in the format like as follows. 1. It can only have r,w,x or a hyphen and nothing else. 2. ensure the r, w, x are in the correct order. for example: rwxr-xr-x is a valid format. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyeewang
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input and run awk using the input

I am trying to allow a user to enter in text and then store that text in a variable $gene to run in an awk command in which those values are used to run some calculations. I am getting syntax errors however, when I try. Thank you :). The awk runs great if it is a pre-defined file that is used,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Would like to check user input for letters within a loop

Hi All, #!/bin/bash #Just trying to check if letters are in the user input. Any tips? # I have tried regexp and using 0-9 etc, i cannot get this to work either in just an if statement or while in a loop. echo "Please pick a number" read num if ; then echo "Please enter a number"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvezinat
7 Replies
YAPP(1) 						User Contributed Perl Documentation						   YAPP(1)

NAME
yapp - A perl frontend to the Parse::Yapp module SYNOPSYS
yapp [options] grammar[.yp] yapp -V yapp -h DESCRIPTION
yapp is a frontend to the Parse::Yapp module, which lets you compile Parse::Yapp grammar input files into Perl LALR(1) OO parser modules. OPTIONS
Options, as of today, are all optionals :-) -v Creates a file grammar.output describing your parser. It will show you a summary of conflicts, rules, the DFA (Deterministic Finite Au- tomaton) states and overall usage of the parser. -s Create a standalone module in which the driver is included. Note that if you have more than one parser module called from a program, to have it standalone, you need this option only for one of your parser module. -n Disable source file line numbering embedded in your parser module. I don't know why one should need it, but it's there. -m module Gives your parser module the package name (or name space or module name or class name or whatever-you-call-it) of module. It defaults to grammar -o outfile The compiled output file will be named outfile for your parser module. It defaults to grammar.pm or, if you specified the option -m A::Module::Name (see below), to Name.pm. -t filename The -t filename option allows you to specify a file which should be used as template for generating the parser output. The default is to use the internal template defined in Parse::Yapp::Output.pm. For how to write your own template and which substitutions are avail- able, have a look to the module Parse::Yapp::Output.pm : it should be obvious. -b shebang If you work on systems that understand so called shebangs, and your generated parser is directly an executable script, you can specifie one with the -b option, ie: yapp -b '/usr/local/bin/perl -w' -o myscript.pl myscript.yp This will output a file called myscript.pl whose very first line is: #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w The argument is mandatory, but if you specify an empty string, the value of $Config{perlpath} will be used instead. grammar The input grammar file. If no suffix is given, and the file does not exists, an attempt to open the file with a suffix of .yp is tried before exiting. -V Display current version of Parse::Yapp and gracefully exits. -h Display the usage screen. BUGS
None known now :-) AUTHOR
Francois Desarmenien <francois@fdesar.net> COPYRIGHT
(c) Copyright 1998-1999 Francois Desarmenien, all rights reserved. See Parse::Yapp(3) for legal use and distribution rights SEE ALSO
Parse::Yapp(3) Perl(1) yacc(1) bison(1) perl v5.8.0 2001-02-11 YAPP(1)